Bad intel about Michigan railroads

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
michiganrailroads.com - Home

Not talking smack about this site, more of an honest heads up......

The historical station data in much of my Oh-Zee (north central/western Michigan) is just plain wrong.

One county in particular that I know pretty dern well. The proper stations ARE listed, yet there are also places listed as "stations" that never had rail service at all. Some were crossroads, post offices, neighborhoods, areas, boat ramps, cottages, lodges, and various other type places miles from, and completely unrelated to the rails. Some of the places weren't even established until well after most of the the railroads were torn up and gone completely. Many misspellings, and places I've never even heard of, which is nearly impossible. Given the nature of the area and the things they named, I could accept maybe 1 or 2 new places, but 11 I can't.

There are a few other counties I scanned thru that I can't be as 99% sure about, maybe closer to 80%. These counties contained a lot of things that I'm highly suspicious of too.

Maybe this will avoid some wild geese and tail chasing for someone.

Winchester416

Feb 18, 2022
michiganrailroads.com - Home

Not talking smack about this site, more of an honest heads up......

The historical station data in much of my Oh-Zee (north central/western Michigan) is just plain wrong.

One county in particular that I know pretty dern well. The proper stations ARE listed, yet there are also places listed as "stations" that never had rail service at all. Some were crossroads, post offices, neighborhoods, areas, boat ramps, cottages, lodges, and various other type places miles from, and completely unrelated to the rails. Some of the places weren't even established until well after most of the the railroads were torn up and gone completely. Many misspellings, and places I've never even heard of, which is nearly impossible. Given the nature of the area and the things they named, I could accept maybe 1 or 2 new places, but 11 I can't.

There are a few other counties I scanned thru that I can't be as 99% sure about, maybe closer to 80%. These counties contained a lot of things that I'm highly suspicious of too.

Maybe this will avoid some wild geese and tail chasing for someone.
Looking for details for Kalkaska county before 1920...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread