Bags of IKE Dollars

WeirderBeatle7

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve been coin roll hunting for several years and have been searching for a bank to order me large dollar coins the entire time. A couple weeks ago, when picking up a bag of halves at a bank of which I am not a member, a customer service rep and I started chatting about armored couriers and such and we had a great conversation. I left and, after thinking about it a while, decided he may be my ticket to get some big dollars. Long story short he has located $3,000 in Ikeā€™s that are in the process of being ordered for me.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to look for or if errors are worth searching for, let me know! Otherwise I will be looking for silver! Hopefully they come soon!

Upvote 0

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score. Lots of silver and honestly I have managed to sell them in the past for an easy $2 a coin.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post results. We expect at least some silver. Hey, no pressure... And 3000 Ikes is about 150 pounds of coins.

OP
OP
W

WeirderBeatle7

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post results. We expect at least some silver. Hey, no pressure... And 3000 Ikes is about 150 pounds of coins.

I will absolutely post the results. Maybe some additional pictures as well! I can not seem to find any good threads of Ike hunts on this forum and intend on posting updates here. I was told there may be some issues getting them over the holiday season but they are working on it.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I managed to snag about $300 in Ikeā€™s from one of my local banks a few years ago. Someone had brought in a huge deposit. I honestly did not find any silver in mine.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always worried - back before March when we could still get boxes, about the possibility of dropping a box or having a damaged/weakened box fall apart on my way out of the bank to my truck. So when picking up two boxes of halves, I put them in a heavy canvas tote bag. This also disguised what I was carrying as well. You might want to consider taking that many Ikes out in several trips and in heavy canvas bags. The tote bag I used was from Lands End and was given to my wife as a gift by a student before she retired from teaching. It was perfect for one or two boxes of halves.

Looking forward to reading your results! Hope you find a Morgan or Peace dollar in the mix!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WeirderBeatle7

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to reading your results! Hope you find a Morgan or Peace dollar in the mix!

I have read about people finding silver in Ike bags and iā€™m beyond excited to go through them! I will update this thread as new info is available. Like I said they said there might be some issue getting them this close to the holiday season.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Just Purchased 100 Ikes off Ebay $146 from a PA seller, But Drop Shipped from Florida.
I bought them as Christmas Gifts for my 11 Great Nieces & Great Nephews :tongue3:
too tuff to find banks around here with them. & Most banks won't deal with the Public who don't have an Account, Even if they do have them

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I Just Purchased 100 Ikes off Ebay $146 from a PA seller, But Drop Shipped from Florida.
I bought them as Christmas Gifts for my 11 Great Nieces & Great Nephews :tongue3:
too tuff to find banks around here with them. & Most banks won't deal with the Public who don't have an Account, Even if they do have them

This end of the state the tellers beg me to take them!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once contacted a small local courier service and they said no problem selling me a $1000 bag but i had to come pick up and pay cash. Their building was just a plain looking industrial one. I went inside and pretty good security. They took me past several small locked chainlink rooms and I could see skids of boxed coins for the banks. I did not see any half boxes but didn't have a lot of time to stop and stare.

They took me into a small room with a table and wall cameras to see everything. They asked me to count and verify $1000 all by myself. After counting I knew no silver but I still had to buy.

I think I tried selling some on feeBay but couldn't even get enough to cover fees and shipping so my local Wells Fargo got them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread