Bahamas Treasure find!

Jul 16, 2022
I believe I have found an old (16-1800’s) flintlock pistol on the coast of the Bahamas. About 1/2 mile out there is a site that yielded Spanish silver coins and other artifacts. I have recovered some of the ships parts and items while diving. Today I found this. You have to admit it has the look, even with the hammer and strike plate. Wondering what I should do get it back to the states then how to identify and care for it. Any positive help is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 05DA3F3E-5B70-49EF-A35A-F88DEED71289.jpeg
    05DA3F3E-5B70-49EF-A35A-F88DEED71289.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 383
  • 49E76CCA-ECBA-47EA-8104-919A916CEDD4.jpeg
    49E76CCA-ECBA-47EA-8104-919A916CEDD4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 319
  • 5018FCA6-360B-473E-94C7-F52F63081FBC.jpeg
    5018FCA6-360B-473E-94C7-F52F63081FBC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 321
Upvote 28

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find & congrats on scuba diving in the Bahamas. I'm not an expert but others here can help you with how to restore & preserve it. That being said, I think it would be a good idea to keep it from drying out by keeping it in a bucket of water until you can somehow get it back home & then put it back in water as soon as you can. Great find ! I hope it's old. Cheers !!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe I have found an old (16-1800’s) flintlock pistol on the coast of the Bahamas. About 1/2 mile out there is a site that yielded Spanish silver coins and other artifacts. I have recovered some of the ships parts and items while diving. Today I found this. You have to admit it has the look, even with the hammer and strike plate. Wondering what I should do get it back to the states then how to identify and care for it. Any positive help is appreciated. Thanks
Awesomeness!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!!!! Congrats!!!!!! Maybe Electrolysis? I’d definitely wait for the experts to chime in!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Teacher what do you teach exactly ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang i forgot also Welcome to TREASURENET !!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
really cool find, good luck on returning and restoring it

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elementary education. I share my experiences with my kids since many of them do not get to travel and i use this kind of stuff to make learning more enjoyable.
As far as US laws there shouldn,t be any problems,it would come under the relics and curios section which are very liberal. Look it up on the ATF site if you want. I doubt many would even be able to ID it as a firearm. If in checked baggage shouldn,t have any problems,I,m assuming you,re flying home here. TSA might be sticky if it,s in carry on.I know nothing about Bahamas law. Kudos on teaching your kids with your experiences.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find this in the water or out of it ?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elementary education. I share my experiences with my kids since many of them do not get to travel and i use this kind of stuff to make learning more enjoyable.
Welcome to Tnet.
My Sis is a teacher & I know a few I have given period finds for classroom learning. They enjoy touching the ancient objects because for the most part they can only look at behind glass in a Museum.
Also given lots of stuff to kids to take into the schools & show the class.
A worthwhile thing to do.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off… treasure hunting in the Bahamas is not allowed unless you have a lease from the Bahamian gov so posting this on here is probably not a wise choice.

Secondly, it does look like a possible Spanish colonial flintlock pistol as far as shape, but obviously can’t be confirmed without an X-ray of the encrusted object or doing proper conservation… I hope you have not had the object out of water for any amount of time… it will crumble to pieces if allowed to dry out…

If it is in fact a pistol, it will need to be taken apart and conserved piece by piece… compression equipment needed and ethylene glycol for wood preservation and electrolysis for metal parts… good luck with conservation… it’s a tedious process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread