Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from the bahamas !! Wow !! What a trip we had. I spent 3 weeks fishing tuna, wahoo, and blue marlin !! It was go go go with the fishing and I barley had time to break out the metaldetector. But when I did it was an unbelievable ride !! Im still getting my voice back and licking my wounds. When you find a treasure spill like the one I found you hoot and holler until your voice is gone !! You guys will have to grit your teeth and get through this post it'll probably take a page to explain it all. There's alot to cover. Ill dive right in to the good stuff that came from the far out islands. Here we go !!

Boom baby Portuguese gold, and spanish silver !!
20210524_232612.jpg
20210524_230534.jpg
20210524_230551.jpg
A beautiful 1747 gold reis coin from Brazil, a badly eaten up spanish piece of eight, a 1773or5 big nose piece of eight, and a gorgeous filigree wire silver ring. All these pieces were found in 2 separate 2 hour hunts at low tide on the same beach. My original thinking from talking with locals is that a pirate long boat was dashed to pieces on this incredible shoreline trying to land there treasure. The mix of spanish and Portuguese coinage seems odd but much more research and exploration of this site is needed, and the who, what, and when of this find is driving me nuts with the research....there are some records that make some sense, but I don't want to speculate yet until I hit the books some more.

20210524_202538.jpg

I've dug some great iron in the bahamas and keys but this 20 inch pirate long knife has to be one of my favorites....when I hold this artifact in my hands I can feel my pirate blood boiling to life...it evokes as much emotion as the gold coin does !!

20210524_202530.jpg

I was able to gather up pounds of seaglass, and handfuls of great colorful potsherds for my art projects !!

20210524_202312.jpg

Im an opertunist, and if the detector is not producing I'll lay it aside and start to mudlarking for potsherds and pipe stems !!

I was able to pull a silver or pewter teapot lid while mud larcking an old dump site for potsherds.

20210524_224727.jpg

there was plenty of great ships spikes and copper alloy fasteners along with the ever present lead....the plastic of the olden days !! I got a nice ginger beer on one of my hunts and was happy about it as I never found a whole one before. Other finds included some great flat buttons including a spencers treble gilt backmarck with a greek key motiff

20210520_160258.jpg

At one point my best coin was an 1826 english/bahamian penny

20210520_182414.jpg

a pretty satisfying find...until you hit the silver and gold, and gold fever takes over !! There were harmonica reeds and another type of unidentified musical instrument reed. Im still cleaning and gathering my finds together and I've got plenty of shells too. Found a goats horn, and a boars tusk also while beachcombing for ambergris. Ill post some more pics after work...im currently putting the boat back together after a brutal 14 hour run home in heavy seas.....im battered and beaten but what a trip !! I left all my treasure gear with a fellow t-net member, including my equinox 600, and a nice map with some sites to explore...it was the least I could do for my fellow islander who helped me with transportation and and gave me the best island hospitality that could ever be expected !! I hope to return that island hospitality one day when he visits me in the keys. Ive been more than blessed to grow up both in the bahamas and keys and know many island secerets....hope I'm doing my grandpa justice. He was dual citizen and made sure I respected my bahamian heritage and conch/keys life. Wrecking is alive and well within me and beach combing is in my blood !! Woooo hoooo !! Off to work now....more to come later. Maybe my bahamian friend will make a guest appearance on this thread when he sees it....I hope so !!

20210524_202255.jpg

Oh ya....we caught fish too !!

20210518_102422.jpg 20210518_102345.jpg
IMG_2578.jpeg.jpg
Cheers folks hope you enjoy and are inspired !! Wooo hoooo !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 30

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Bart! You always seem to sniff out that pirate treasure, great job!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show even blind squirrels find some acorns!!
:occasion14::laughing7::hello: thank you for your hospitality my friend....ill be back to search for the whale vomit soon....working out some plans....got to put that big lunkerhead dog to work !!

:laughing7:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, what a great post with great finds to accompany it Bart! :occasion14:
Congratulations on this beautiful 1747 Gold Reis Coin.
You should really post it in Today's Finds, I think this find would stand a good chance to make the BANNER. :thumbsup:

Love seeing your fishing pics, hope you and the family are all well.
Dave

PS.
I found a Victorian fly fishing reel in the fields yesterday, I'll post it later today.

Attachments

• 20210524_232612-crop.jpg
    20210524_232612-crop.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly amazing finds. Congrats. Your allowed to keep that and go through customs?

Found between the heal of the dune, and low tide mark....no problem with customs this time...they have taken many bottles from me though for some reason...guess they don't want me to break one and high jack the plane with it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Stunning! What a beautiful gold coin! Banner vote for sure!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart. Congratulations on your Beautiful and Rare Recoveries..voting Banner

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Bart!
You must be exhausted from pushing the wheelbarrow. L.o.l..

Stunning gold piece.... Congrats! And the other coins are no slackers either. But gold is....

Full tang knife. A stout one.
Second instrument piece might be an accordion or similar reed?
I'm not good sat judging size from pictures but the tooth looks small for a boars. More like a rodent. First thought was capybara. But no idea if any were around in in cruising range....

You were landed on the X this time. What a haul.
Latches were recovered. Latches. What had they secured one must wonder a little. Of course.

Banner all day on the gold.
Without the gold , the site and mix combined are enough to be an example of recovering history well worth noting.. With old coins to boot!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a haul!! That Portuguese gold coin is amazing and has to fly on the Banner!

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bart, Amazing finds! I'm voting banner! Nice fish too!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Bart, finding pirate Gold, Silver, pottery while on a fishing trip! Doesn't get any better than that!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go, Bart! Huge congratulations on the treasure finds! I know it’s too soon, but you have my banner vote anyway. Finds like this are sensational!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huge congrats on the treasure, what a beauty the gold Reis is! :occasion14:
Now in hind sight it beats the crap out of being on some 100'+ mega yacht in the St Lawrence......:laughing7:
WHAT A YEAR YOUR HAVING!!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you have time to show the knife and some of the other great finds.Big congrats on the beach combing for silver and gold! Fresh fish to boot it does not get any better.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well done Bart...

(I'd make sure that aint gold spraypaint over lead...you know that guy you hang out with has a TWISTED sense of humor....!!!!)

Just kidding...Again. well done!!!!

ag

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Bart! You always seem to sniff out that pirate treasure, great job!

Thanks Tpmetal....there is a method to the madness.....I try and explain how I scout before I hunt and what im lookin for !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread