Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from the bahamas !! Wow !! What a trip we had. I spent 3 weeks fishing tuna, wahoo, and blue marlin !! It was go go go with the fishing and I barley had time to break out the metaldetector. But when I did it was an unbelievable ride !! Im still getting my voice back and licking my wounds. When you find a treasure spill like the one I found you hoot and holler until your voice is gone !! You guys will have to grit your teeth and get through this post it'll probably take a page to explain it all. There's alot to cover. Ill dive right in to the good stuff that came from the far out islands. Here we go !!

Boom baby Portuguese gold, and spanish silver !!
20210524_232612.jpg
20210524_230534.jpg
20210524_230551.jpg
A beautiful 1747 gold reis coin from Brazil, a badly eaten up spanish piece of eight, a 1773or5 big nose piece of eight, and a gorgeous filigree wire silver ring. All these pieces were found in 2 separate 2 hour hunts at low tide on the same beach. My original thinking from talking with locals is that a pirate long boat was dashed to pieces on this incredible shoreline trying to land there treasure. The mix of spanish and Portuguese coinage seems odd but much more research and exploration of this site is needed, and the who, what, and when of this find is driving me nuts with the research....there are some records that make some sense, but I don't want to speculate yet until I hit the books some more.

20210524_202538.jpg

I've dug some great iron in the bahamas and keys but this 20 inch pirate long knife has to be one of my favorites....when I hold this artifact in my hands I can feel my pirate blood boiling to life...it evokes as much emotion as the gold coin does !!

20210524_202530.jpg

I was able to gather up pounds of seaglass, and handfuls of great colorful potsherds for my art projects !!

20210524_202312.jpg

Im an opertunist, and if the detector is not producing I'll lay it aside and start to mudlarking for potsherds and pipe stems !!

I was able to pull a silver or pewter teapot lid while mud larcking an old dump site for potsherds.

20210524_224727.jpg

there was plenty of great ships spikes and copper alloy fasteners along with the ever present lead....the plastic of the olden days !! I got a nice ginger beer on one of my hunts and was happy about it as I never found a whole one before. Other finds included some great flat buttons including a spencers treble gilt backmarck with a greek key motiff

20210520_160258.jpg

At one point my best coin was an 1826 english/bahamian penny

20210520_182414.jpg

a pretty satisfying find...until you hit the silver and gold, and gold fever takes over !! There were harmonica reeds and another type of unidentified musical instrument reed. Im still cleaning and gathering my finds together and I've got plenty of shells too. Found a goats horn, and a boars tusk also while beachcombing for ambergris. Ill post some more pics after work...im currently putting the boat back together after a brutal 14 hour run home in heavy seas.....im battered and beaten but what a trip !! I left all my treasure gear with a fellow t-net member, including my equinox 600, and a nice map with some sites to explore...it was the least I could do for my fellow islander who helped me with transportation and and gave me the best island hospitality that could ever be expected !! I hope to return that island hospitality one day when he visits me in the keys. Ive been more than blessed to grow up both in the bahamas and keys and know many island secerets....hope I'm doing my grandpa justice. He was dual citizen and made sure I respected my bahamian heritage and conch/keys life. Wrecking is alive and well within me and beach combing is in my blood !! Woooo hoooo !! Off to work now....more to come later. Maybe my bahamian friend will make a guest appearance on this thread when he sees it....I hope so !!

20210524_202255.jpg

Oh ya....we caught fish too !!

20210518_102422.jpg 20210518_102345.jpg
IMG_2578.jpeg.jpg
Cheers folks hope you enjoy and are inspired !! Wooo hoooo !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 30
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Great finds I am going to be hunting similar world wide soon I hope, finishing up an 65ft Monohull Sailboat, has never been in the water and was given to me so ,, carbon fiber masts(Need NO rigging cables) and Ketch rigged it should be a sweet one, Lots of room for Two or more, still looking for that lady who likes to sail and explore the world.
Wow...that sounds great Goldfinger450 !! I've had great success working, traveling, and detecting !! I've been in the yachting industry for many years....I don't pick the destination, but I do my research on the planned locations we fish from !! The opportunities for hunting treasure from this line of work have been my biggest advantage !! Being able to work as a professional fisherman has taken me to exotic locations i would never have seen if not for the job !! Your plan will give you even more time to explore....I would love to do that !!

Would be real nice to have a women for those adventures for sure though !!

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Bart, yes it should be a Great adventure, I will find a Great lady to love and adventure with as my wife.. Maybe I can have members here come and sail around and hunt specific sites for fun?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Bart, yes it should be a Great adventure, I will find a Great lady to love and adventure with as my wife.. Maybe I can have members here come and sail around and hunt specific sites for fun?
Im in !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooo hoooo.....thanks guys for all the motivation. So...I've been making plans, and it should go something like this.....first the 55 viking sportfish that I work on will go to the boat yard this month. When she is done, we will start our trip in Spanish wells bahamas tuna, wahoo, and marlin fishing. My spare time and bad weather days will be spent hunting permissions at the old end of town....1650s !! After some time on this island, and harbor island (also an old settlement from 1650s) ill head to San Salvador Island....this is the oldest known island in the New world...( 1492 Christopher Columbus). Im very blessed, and my sons godfather actually has a house not more than 100 yards from the original landing site of Columbus. So ill actually search the first spot where Columbus landed.....others before me have found items related to the first landing of Columbus including a coin from the 15th century ( i got to see this supposed Columbus coin) it is old !! After targeting the giant wahoo and marlin here we will move on down to long island bahamas, and crooked island bahamas to fish an annual marlin tournament. Here I will get to hang with sads669....one the most accomplished divers on the planet, and another t-net member and good friend. At the end of this trip ill race back to the states, and get on board my brother-in laws boat...a 44 contender, and he, I, and grandpa will ride all the way back to harbor island where the rest of our family will fly in and meet us for a summer vacation. This is what excites me....at this point I'm not on the clock, and have the time to really treasure hunt. Some of my permissions here include the kings country plantation, and lord Dunmore estate...to name a few. Ill be able to use and operate the 44 contender to explore some of the out islands here and explore my cannon site more. I will take my family including my son and nephews on some fishing trips, diving trips for conch and sea shells, and of coarse...some great metal detecting trips. I am so blessed in life to be able to have grown up in both the keys and bahamas....and to be a professional level fisherman. This job is what has taken me around the Caribbean and bahamas, and even as far north as newfoundland, and as far west as the great lakes....it is the single most incredible advantage I've had in my treasure hunting career !! I don't pick the locations, but I do my research on each location, so that any down time is spent with detector in hand searching the places I've researched before the trip. This will be especially special for me, having time and family to show my adventures to and pass the treasure hunting experiences on to my son and nephews !! Woooo hoooo !! I just got over the covid, so I won't have to worry to much about that for awhile, and we are starting back into fishing this weekend on our other 43 foot tiara sportfish that I work on. Im hoping to use my gopro more and more, and get some good footage. Hopefully I'll get back on the fishing boat after this covid, and get some great pics for @BennyV and his fantastic business "All American Tackle Company" thanks for the gear and support @BennyV

I want to thank all the people who have made this thread 20000 views strong...wow...thanks everyone, I hope this inspires others to get out and use the time to do the things you love most in life !!
Cheers and happy hunting to all !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooo hoooo.....thanks guys for all the motivation. So...I've been making plans, and it should go something like this.....first the 55 viking sportfish that I work on will go to the boat yard this month. When she is done, we will start our trip in Spanish wells bahamas tuna, wahoo, and marlin fishing. My spare time and bad weather days will be spent hunting permissions at the old end of town....1650s !! After some time on this island, and harbor island (also an old settlement from 1650s) ill head to San Salvador Island....this is the oldest known island in the New world...( 1492 Christopher Columbus). Im very blessed, and my sons godfather actually has a house not more than 100 yards from the original landing site of Columbus. So ill actually search the first spot where Columbus landed.....others before me have found items related to the first landing of Columbus including a coin from the 15th century ( i got to see this supposed Columbus coin) it is old !! After targeting the giant wahoo and marlin here we will move on down to long island bahamas, and crooked island bahamas to fish an annual marlin tournament. Here I will get to hang with sads669....one the most accomplished divers on the planet, and another t-net member and good friend. At the end of this trip ill race back to the states, and get on board my brother-in laws boat...a 44 contender, and he, I, and grandpa will ride all the way back to harbor island where the rest of our family will fly in and meet us for a summer vacation. This is what excites me....at this point I'm not on the clock, and have the time to really treasure hunt. Some of my permissions here include the kings country plantation, and lord Dunmore estate...to name a few. Ill be able to use and operate the 44 contender to explore some of the out islands here and explore my cannon site more. I will take my family including my son and nephews on some fishing trips, diving trips for conch and sea shells, and of coarse...some great metal detecting trips. I am so blessed in life to be able to have grown up in both the keys and bahamas....and to be a professional level fisherman. This job is what has taken me around the Caribbean and bahamas, and even as far north as newfoundland, and as far west as the great lakes....it is the single most incredible advantage I've had in my treasure hunting career !! I don't pick the locations, but I do my research on each location, so that any down time is spent with detector in hand searching the places I've researched before the trip. This will be especially special for me, having time and family to show my adventures to and pass the treasure hunting experiences on to my son and nephews !! Woooo hoooo !! I just got over the covid, so I won't have to worry to much about that for awhile, and we are starting back into fishing this weekend on our other 43 foot tiara sportfish that I work on. Im hoping to use my gopro more and more, and get some good footage. Hopefully I'll get back on the fishing boat after this covid, and get some great pics for @BennyV and his fantastic business "All American Tackle Company" thanks for the gear and support @BennyV

I want to thank all the people who have made this thread 20000 views strong...wow...thanks everyone, I hope this inspires others to get out and use the time to do the things you love most in life !!
Cheers and happy hunting to all !!
Your welcome... i viewed it 19,950 times myself.

:P

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome... i viewed it 19,950 times myself.

:P
Brother from another mother !! ARC...thank you personally for all the support, advice, and FRIENDSHIP over the years !! You and the whole RCT crew have kept me motivated brother !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brother from another mother !! ARC...thank you personally for all the support, advice, and FRIENDSHIP over the years !! You and the whole RCT crew have kept me motivated brother !!
Hey man... just keep up posting the adventures... many here live vicariously through your posts and pictures... they rock man.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart, What an inspiration you are. Looking forward to your 2022 adventures.

I know everyone here will be rooting for you to find enough to break the banner! LOL
Thanks PetesPockets55 / cliff I hope your having erosion up there from this noreaster !! Can't wait to get back up there and see you and Steve again....I miss the treasurecoast so much !! Happy hunting and the best of luck my friend !!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PetesPockets55 / cliff I hope your having erosion up there from this noreaster !! Can't wait to get back up there and see you and Steve again....I miss the treasurecoast so much !! Happy hunting and the best of luck my friend !!
You're welcome my friend. I meant every word and AARC is so spot on when talking about members here getting to enjoy your hunts with you vicariously.

Because of your detailed threads and responses, your enjoyment oozes from each thread and gets all over us. LOL
When you do get back up we can try to get you that 1715 coin to go in your treasure menagerie Woo Hoo!! Meantime, only the best this year with all your adventures.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from the bahamas !! Wow !! What a trip we had. I spent 3 weeks fishing tuna, wahoo, and blue marlin !! It was go go go with the fishing and I barley had time to break out the metaldetector. But when I did it was an unbelievable ride !! Im still getting my voice back and licking my wounds. When you find a treasure spill like the one I found you hoot and holler until your voice is gone !! You guys will have to grit your teeth and get through this post it'll probably take a page to explain it all. There's alot to cover. Ill dive right in to the good stuff that came from the far out islands. Here we go !!

View attachment 1927645
View attachment 1927646
View attachment 1927647
A beautiful 1747 gold reis coin from Brazil, a badly eaten up spanish piece of eight, a 1773or5 big nose piece of eight, and a gorgeous filigree wire silver ring. All these pieces were found in 2 separate 2 hour hunts at low tide on the same beach. My original thinking from talking with locals is that a pirate long boat was dashed to pieces on this incredible shoreline trying to land there treasure. The mix of spanish and Portuguese coinage seems odd but much more research and exploration of this site is needed, and the who, what, and when of this find is driving me nuts with the research....there are some records that make some sense, but I don't want to speculate yet until I hit the books some more.

View attachment 1927649

I've dug some great iron in the bahamas and keys but this 20 inch pirate long knife has to be one of my favorites....when I hold this artifact in my hands I can feel my pirate blood boiling to life...it evokes as much emotion as the gold coin does !!

View attachment 1927650

I was able to gather up pounds of seaglass, and handfuls of great colorful potsherds for my art projects !!

View attachment 1927651

Im an opertunist, and if the detector is not producing I'll lay it aside and start to mudlarking for potsherds and pipe stems !!

I was able to pull a silver or pewter teapot lid while mud larcking an old dump site for potsherds.

View attachment 1927652

there was plenty of great ships spikes and copper alloy fasteners along with the ever present lead....the plastic of the olden days !! I got a nice ginger beer on one of my hunts and was happy about it as I never found a whole one before. Other finds included some great flat buttons including a spencers treble gilt backmarck with a greek key motiff

View attachment 1927653

View attachment 1927654

a pretty satisfying find...until you hit the silver and gold, and gold fever takes over !! There were harmonica reeds and another type of unidentified musical instrument reed. Im still cleaning and gathering my finds together and I've got plenty of shells too. Found a goats horn, and a boars tusk also while beachcombing for ambergris. Ill post some more pics after work...im currently putting the boat back together after a brutal 14 hour run home in heavy seas.....im battered and beaten but what a trip !! I left all my treasure gear with a fellow t-net member, including my equinox 600, and a nice map with some sites to explore...it was the least I could do for my fellow islander who helped me with transportation and and gave me the best island hospitality that could ever be expected !! I hope to return that island hospitality one day when he visits me in the keys. Ive been more than blessed to grow up both in the bahamas and keys and know many island secerets....hope I'm doing my grandpa justice. He was dual citizen and made sure I respected my bahamian heritage and conch/keys life. Wrecking is alive and well within me and beach combing is in my blood !! Woooo hoooo !! Off to work now....more to come later. Maybe my bahamian friend will make a guest appearance on this thread when he sees it....I hope so !!

View attachment 1927657

View attachment 1927658 View attachment 1927659
View attachment 1927660
Id say you earned your name on that trip. WAHOO!!!

Rustydog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2022

View attachment 1927645
View attachment 1927646
View attachment 1927647

View attachment 1927649

View attachment 1927650

View attachment 1927651

View attachment 1927652

View attachment 1927653

View attachment 1927654

View attachment 1927657

View attachment 1927658 View attachment 1927659
View attachment 1927660
What a trip ! Congrats

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a trip ! Congrats
Thank you rustydog.....that was one of my favorite adventures.....my friend is over there today searching the gold coin spot....he's been planning to go for a year, and now he's there doing it....I hope he has success !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're welcome my friend. I meant every word and AARC is so spot on when talking about members here getting to enjoy your hunts with you vicariously.

Because of your detailed threads and responses, your enjoyment oozes from each thread and gets all over us. LOL
When you do get back up we can try to get you that 1715 coin to go in your treasure menagerie Woo Hoo!! Meantime, only the best this year with all your adventures.
And just a little over 8 months later......Woo Hoo!!:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread