Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had best conditions today, thawing snow on slightly frozen ground. Did i mention i like 5 pound heavy, muddy boots?
Huge field for our conditions with a roman site in one corner. We managed only two hour hunts there the last days due to the weather. Not a very producing field other than the usual bale seals coming off here.

No need to cover the dug holes with footsteps leaving more mess than our digging...
40346834ys.jpg

Trash
40346839gc.jpg

Bale seals
40346840au.jpg

Buckles
40346842fc.jpg

Bits and pieces
40346843uk.jpg

Scrap silver and a copper weddind band
40346844jf.jpg

40346845va.jpg

Modern coins
40346846af.jpg

Roman scrappies with a Sestercius i tried to save. Only thing to see is Fortuna seated holding shield and Globe(?)
40346847jd.jpg

I will not say bucket lister, but i like the Gator or Elephant coins. Roman Denarius, worn and verly welcome.
40346848zf.jpg

40346849rw.jpg

A find that nearly fooled me today was this Acorn. Not uncommon to find these on a roman site. I had a feeling that something was wrong as the acorn was too light for a solid cast roman one. But muddy as everything was i just put it in the pouch. Washed clean at home it was still too light and had something in it when shaking it. I let my Lady open it and said i make the pics. :laughing7: Safety first, watch for spells!

Acorn ready to be opened.
40346835cd.jpg

Acorn open.
40346836ez.jpg

Filled with cloth.
40346837yz.jpg

40346838jt.jpg

Looks to be a not very old Perfume Capsule, the dried cloth still has some light odor, preserved in it's brass housing.
40346850fe.jpg

40346851hq.jpg

Upvote 19

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ancient_ceasar_elephant.jpg

Julius Caesar AR Denarius. Military Mint Traveling With Caesar in Northern Italy 49 BC. Obverse: Elephant advancing right, trampling horned serpent; CAESAR in exergue. Reverse: Pontifical implements: simpulum sprinkler, axe and priest's hat.
Don....

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Julius Caesar AR Denarius. Military Mint Traveling With Caesar in Northern Italy 49 BC. Obverse: Elephant advancing right, trampling horned serpent; CAESAR in exergue. Reverse: Pontifical implements: simpulum sprinkler, axe and priest's hat.
Don....

Yeap, beat me to it. Cru'dad found this type of Julius Caesar Denarius, I remember at the time it was our oldest Roman Silver.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don....

Your looks a lot better Don! :tongue3: And yes, the priests tools are upside down on my pic.... :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good result for a short hunt.
We had to call off Saturdays hunt because of rain that day & most the week. We had the worst floods in our area since records began over Xmas. I hope it dried enough today for tomorrows hunt.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good result for a short hunt.
We had to call off Saturdays hunt because of rain that day & most the week. We had the worst floods in our area since records began over Xmas. I hope it dried enough today for tomorrows hunt.

Today it was 2 hrs. Thursday maybe 2 1/2 or 3... We had rain since Christmas almost every day. Fields are flooded. This one got a plough in Dec. because something went wrong with the winter wheat. That helped to drain a bit and as we missed this one after harvest we gave it a try. The main scatter is pretty much dead but the field is huge and finds come with persistence. I don't think the Denarius fits the site. More a random loss as it don't match the late finds usually coming here.
Good luck tomorrow and fingers crossed for a hammered! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today it was 2 hrs. Thursday maybe 2 1/2 or 3... We had rain since Christmas almost every day. Fields are flooded. This one got a plough in Dec. because something went wrong with the winter wheat. That helped to drain a bit and as we missed this one after harvest we gave it a try. The main scatter is pretty much dead but the field is huge and finds come with persistence. I don't think the Denarius fits the site. More a random loss as it don't match the late finds usually coming here.
Good luck tomorrow and fingers crossed for a hammered! :occasion14:
As long as you have options like this, you have a chance.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's boot sticker hunt
Well worth it getting the silver congrats.:hello2:

I was fortunate to get one years back and thought it was a coin from India at first, because I could make out the Elephant under the crust.:laughing7:
It turned out quite nice in the end.
BA224F52-120A-4EB2-A293-58F2567BBBB0_1_105_c.jpeg B7569F48-A777-468D-89BD-1B020E6A5672_1_105_c.jpeg

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Nice hunt Lu. That silver bracelet have enough on it to get a pencil etching? The secret to the mud is when you lift your foot, heel first, put pressure on the outside of the foot as you withdraw it and give a little toe flick as it comes free. Also walk flat footed as much as possible. Good luck.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tim, nothing left to get the name. It's a very small childs bracelet. Absolutely no clue how it gets into a field in nowhere. :dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt Lu. That silver bracelet have enough on it to get a pencil etching? The secret to the mud is when you lift your foot, heel first, put pressure on the outside of the foot as you withdraw it and give a little toe flick as it comes free. Also walk flat footed as much as possible. Good luck.

:laughing7:

Good tip-now tell that to the mud.
I found that there's mud, and then there's clay mud-that probably barefoot would be the only solution.
The 2 that stuck in my mind was once in England and once last fall, my boots looked like Westfront's boots after a -20 steps literally impossible to keep it from not sticking.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Westfront,

Outstanding hunt, you had a very productive 4 1/2 hours over the 2 days. While I definitely liked the Julius Caesar Denarius (definitely near the top of my bucket list), I especially liked the acorn perfume capsule. First one I have seen with the cloth still inside - nice trick in letting the master of the house to open it...lol. Good luck with your hunts - looking forward to seeing your first hammered coins of the year. Walt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread