1 MB · Views: 112
Upvote 12

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I don’t remember if I threw this up on here when I found it. Interesting piece from the early 1900s. I would guess 1910-1920. The only one I’ve seen. Anyone ever seen anything like this? It’s one of my favorite finds.
Wow! I Never associated a swastika with good luck. What is the 4th good luck symbol? I see: horseshoe, 4 leaf clover & wishbone. I can’t decipher the other one.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The Swastika had always been a good luck symbol until the Nazi's took the symbol and rotated it 15º counter clockwise, at which point it became the Nazi Sign. Unfortunately, the nazi sign and the swastika became synonymous with each other.
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 6.17.00 AM.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t remember if I threw this up on here when I found it. Interesting piece from the early 1900s. I would guess 1910-1920. The only one I’ve seen. Anyone ever seen anything like this? It’s one of my favorite finds.

Nice find. Lots of companies gave away these ‘tokens’ as good luck pocket pieces, and organisations such as banks or saving/lending institutions used them as advertorial inducements with a small financial value to attract new customers. There are numerous examples here:

https://www.sageventure.com/coins/worry.html

The first savings and loan association in the US was the Oxford Provident Building Association of Philadelphia, which began operating in 1831 with 40 members. By 1890, the concept had spread to all states, with hundreds in operation.

The “Fletcher Avenue Savings and Loan Association” is listed in the 1906 city directory for Indianapolis at 933 Fletcher Avenue, but not in the 1905 or 1904 directories, so I guess they were founded sometime during 1905. By 1913 they had moved to East Market Street, but kept the “Fletcher Avenue” part of their name. They were still in operation during/after the war but, by then, businesses had stopped using the swastika (in either of its orientations) as a good luck symbol because of its association with the Nazi party.

Wow! I Never associated a swastika with good luck. What is the 4th good luck symbol? I see: horseshoe, 4 leaf clover & wishbone. I can’t decipher the other one.

That’s a group of three Egyptian hieroglyphs, although borrowed and presented in a way that isn’t completely faithful to their use in ancient Egypt. They aren’t always used in the fourth quadrant and aren’t always depicted exactly like that but always have some combination of the hieroglyphs representing irrigation, fertile land, bread, bread baskets and the concept of giving. The loose interpretation is intended to be along the lines of future prosperity arising from investment in land.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Nice find. Lots of companies gave away these ‘tokens’ as good luck pocket pieces, and organisations such as banks or saving/lending institutions used them as advertorial inducements with a small financial value to attract new customers. There are numerous examples here:

https://www.sageventure.com/coins/worry.html

The first savings and loan association in the US was the Oxford Provident Building Association of Philadelphia, which began operating in 1831 with 40 members. By 1890, the concept had spread to all states, with hundreds in operation.

The “Fletcher Avenue Savings and Loan Association” is listed in the 1906 city directory for Indianapolis at 933 Fletcher Avenue, but not in the 1905 or 1904 directories, so I guess they were founded sometime during 1905. By 1913 they had moved to East Market Street, but kept the “Fletcher Avenue” part of their name. They were still in operation during/after the war but, by then, businesses had stopped using the swastika (in either of its orientations) as a good luck symbol because of its association with the Nazi party.

That’s a group of three Egyptian hieroglyphs, although borrowed and presented in a way that isn’t completely faithful to their use in ancient Egypt. They aren’t always used in the fourth quadrant and aren’t always depicted exactly like that but always have some combination of the hieroglyphs representing irrigation, fertile land, bread, bread baskets and the concept of giving. The loose interpretation is intended to be along the lines of future prosperity arising from investment in land.
Wow! I had no idea. That’s quite interesting.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The symbol and word 'swastika' has Sanskrit origins, meaning 'the mark of wellbeing'. It dates back to prehistory and was adopted by many cultures, and unfortunately also by the Nazis.

This is a closeup of the 19th century Chinese paneling making up a small room in my house. In Chinese it's called a Wàn and denotes the universe, or creativity of God.

Attachments

• Chinese panel.jpg
    Chinese panel.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    568.4 KB · Views: 26

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've found at least two out here in Denver coin shooting.

Also, the Nazi's didn't always turn it 15 degrees.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found one just like it but with an Atlanta Ga furniture store add on the other side. I think these luck tokens were a common marketing strategy around the 1900s

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two or three of them from the boy scouts. It was one of there good luck charms. I think they was made around the 1920's before the Nazi's came into power

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread