jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The White's forums are primarily to support White's products. Comparisons with and general discussions of other brands aren't allowed, as it often leads to parsing matches. Use independent forums for comparisons and comparative questions. I have asked our mods to allow people to mention other products, such as "When is White's going to release a pinpointer that works like Garrett's?", or "Please add flutie tones like Minelab uses."

You should also be allowed to mention other forums, and even link to them... this used to be banned when TNet hosted our forums, and TNet generally still bans cross-forum linking. You should also be allowed to criticize White's products, as long as it's constructive criticism and not overt bashing.

Most of what you mention is allowed here Carl.

I have asked our mods to allow people to mention other products, such as "When is White's going to release a pinpointer that works like Garrett's?", or "Please add flutie tones like Minelab uses."

absolutely no problem here.
We even have a Head To Head Comparisons section for members to compare any & all detectors &
equipment. :icon_thumright:

as far as
"cross-forum linking"
, I personally believed in it, when I first became a moderator here,
and let allot slide, unless reported.
however as word reached me that other forums were deleting & in some cases banning
without warning,
for mentioning us, I felt obligated to at least return the favor on mentioning others :laughing7:
although I don't think I ever Banned anyone for it.

And I always allowed a forum that had a an obvious Link to us
to add a link back. Not sure how the new admin feels on that.

You should also be allowed to criticize White's products
I think pretty much a repeat of
what I said on comparisons, but many criticize Minelab, Garrett, etc. I don't think Whites
or any brand has immunity, as long as the criticism is someone who has a leg to stand on.

although Putting down Minelab simply because it's not a U.s, product will raise my ire.
putting down Whites because your a Minelab user will also .

But as you suggested Legit constructive criticism is allowed :icon_thumright:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, my comments applied to White's forums (the ones run by White's), not TNet. TNet is certainly a more open forum and allows discussions, criticisms, and comparisons of all models; White's forums are more restrictive, necessarily so, but I've tried to keep the mods there from being overly heavy-handed.

It's unfortunate that some of the largest "competing" forums don't allow cross-linking, apparently they think it's "bad for business" or something-r-other. When I made the White's forums independent of TNet, that was the first change I implemented... we are not in competition with other forums, and I openly encourage people to visit TNet, the "F" forums, and everyone else out there.

- Carl

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am an avid Whites user as well and I get turned off by their forum policies. A forum is considered customer support but they think along the same line as the old soviet union where if you are not permitted to use the enemies name- then they will just go away - or so they think. Most of their posts don't move much I notice. Their general discussion forum only has 3 posts from the past 2 days. Treasure net has been my fav metal detecting forum lately.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an avid Whites user as well and I get turned off by their forum policies. A forum is considered customer support but they think along the same line as the old soviet union where if you are not permitted to use the enemies name- then they will just go away - or so they think. Most of their posts don't move much I notice. Their general discussion forum only has 3 posts from the past 2 days. Treasure net has been my fav metal detecting forum lately.

These kind of statements crack me up (mostly.) This comparison is illogical and exaggerative. If White's were comparable to the Soviet Union, you would be stuck in the White's forum without choice, just as those poor souls who were trapped behind the iron curtain. You would be forced to tow the line regardless of what you might choose, under threat of bodily harm or death. You have a choice as to whether to visit the White's forum or not, so if you don't like it, don't go. The concept is called freedom of choice, not restriction!

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Feb 6, 2013
SoCal
A reason you can be banned as a spammer when you did nothing to deserve that label, might be because of the IP address assigned to your computer by your ISP. IP addresses for most home and small business accounts are assigned dynamically for a certain length of time called a "lease". Once the lease has expired you can be assigned another IP address different from the one you had from the IP pool of available addresses.

The trouble begins when an IP address formerly used by someone who is a spammer gets back into the pool, then re-assigned to an innocent victim. If the new IP has been blocked because of spamming on a website forum you "inhereit" the block and classification as a spammer as well.

If White's will not resolve this issue by removing the spam block on your IP address then contact your ISP and ask their tech support to release and renew your IP lease so you get a different IP address. The ISP can mark your current IP address and remove it permanently from their pool.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

-Wiseguy

OP
OP
Stormrider51

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Wiseguy. That was the explanation I was given by White's as well. They approved my membership and all is well.

Storm

Trigger7821

May 6, 2020
ontario
Detector(s) used
v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly me too. Purchased a V3 originally many years ago reprogrammed to v3i. After years of not detecting due to other priorities (sadly) I wanted to get back into it. Registered on forum and starting watching video on programming the v3i then suddenly kicked out and banned because of spam. I wouldn't even know how to do that and I was just watching their video. Tried to contact the admin to see what the issue is no response!
Customer service was great in getting my unit pass code in order to change my contact info however the forum was an extreme disappointment especially in a simple return an email for what is clearly an error.
On a positive this site is incredible, kudos to you guys!
Trigger

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the company has great customer service but they aren't the only ones. I really think anyone who doesn't try to learn about and use a variety of detectors is doing themselves a disservice. Any company that tries to prevent knowledge of other companies is seriously flawed. I used White's machines for 20 years. Once I moved to another brand I have never been happier.

Got news, just about any official brand forum for anything doesn't allow talk of competing products, and the reason is pretty obvious if you stop to think about it.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i joined that forum a few years back for questions, it seemed to had been mainly ran by 2 ppl, that were ALWAYS there to leave a comment, sometimes helpful, sometimes bot throughout the forum. TNet is where its at, as far as a communications and insights, but it couldn't be where its at without the greatest community I've come to know

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Spazoid, Trigger responded to it which brought it to the top of TODAYS postings - And I am not quite girly enough to scan the thread for dates unlike you, get a grip and get a life.

Its pretty simple to look at the date right above the poster in each and every post. You were reading it, youre just too lazy to pay attention.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i joined that forum a few years back for questions, it seemed to had been mainly ran by 2 ppl, that were ALWAYS there to leave a comment, sometimes helpful, sometimes bot throughout the forum. TNet is where its at, as far as a communications and insights, but it couldn't be where its at without the greatest community I've come to know

Is Whites still There ? I Heard they Retired

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason You're Pushing it.

Dates Aren't that Important to have an issue with

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its pretty simple to look at the date right above the poster in each and every post. You were reading it, youre just too lazy to pay attention.

Yeah, pretty simple for a simpleton with too much time on their hands, I'm sure.
Don't have the time or inclination to bicker, you have problems with people replying to old posts, petition a mod to lock them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, pretty simple for a simpleton with too much time on their hands, I'm sure.
Don't have the time or inclination to bicker, you have problems with people replying to old posts, petition a mod to lock them.

we don't lock posts, that are ok to respond to

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we don't lock posts, that are ok to respond to

Yeah I figured that Jeff, was just trying to wind the bickering down with something approaching logic.
In any case, sadly I guess Whites forum is no more anyhow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread