Bannerstone, beach surface find

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This surface find was out of my league as a detectorist and beachcomber. When i saw this sitting in the surf on the sand and approached it I was shocked to realize I knew what it was right away. This comes from someone who has never been able to find a complete point of any sort in my 65 yrs of searching ( i was born to search!). It is so symmetrical and the hole is true and centered (it was packed with sand when I found it). I washed it in plain water and now I am going to see about getting it authenticated and appraised.

Attachments

• DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 282
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 227
  • DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 236
  • DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 220
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah really what gives ??
These are hardly ever found and if they are there usually broken the quality and rarity of this amazing artifact alone should make it a banner

Maybe because a banner find was posted just 3 days prior to this one, a well deserved banner I would add, it was felt it was too soon to have another banner find from this section? Only thing I can think of, and I hope I'm wrong.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe because a banner find was posted just 3 days prior to this one, a well deserved banner I would add, it was felt it was too soon to have another banner find from this section? Only thing I can think of, and I hope I'm wrong.

I agree. That could be the case, although it shouldn't be. No one can help that two stellar finds were made days apart. I might could understand if it was another point, but these are two completely different types of artifacts. Maybe they should take a look up there themselves, ring, coin, ring, coin (all metal)...how would that be any different from bannerstone, point (all stone)? Frustrating to say the least...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner Stone was only posted 5 days ago.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This surface find was out of my league as a detectorist and beachcomber. When i saw this sitting in the surf on the sand and approached it I was shocked to realize I knew what it was right away. This comes from someone who has never been able to find a complete point of any sort in my 65 yrs of searching ( i was born to search!). It is so symmetrical and the hole is true and centered (it was packed with sand when I found it). I washed it in plain water and now I am going to see about getting it authenticated and appraised.

I don't know much about Native American artifacts. I had to google "bannerstone" to get a better understanding of what I was looking at. This is an unbelievable find. I can't even imagine how excited you must be. I am curious about a few things.

Can you tell what it's made of?How long does it usually take to get something like this authenticated? What is the process? What is a typical value range for a piece like this?

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote in. Something like this makes a GW Inaugural button look like yesterday's meat loaf. They are beyond rare. Extremely pricey too.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner Stone was only posted 5 days ago.

True, and I don't know how the system works, how many votes needed, who makes the official decision, etc. I don't know any of that. But, what got me curious is the other recent banner find from this section was voted up no later then one day after it was posted. Seeing that fact, and seeing no banner for this find simply made me wonder why it had not been awarded banner. I had just begun to conclude, by now, that it was not going to be awarded a banner find, and that seemed wrong given everything about this find. Unless, indeed, someone is actually waiting for an opinion from an authenticator. Yet, we are told the rules require we do not suggest to a poster that his/her find is not authentic. So, again, given the one banner find went up in one day, I think it understandable if some are wondering if it was decided this find was not going to get banner. And if so, why? I really could not help wondering, as I go through the pages of the thread and see banner vote after banner vote.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
True, and I don't know how the system works, how many votes needed, who makes the official decision, etc. I don't know any of that. But, what got me curious is the other recent banner find from this section was voted up no later then one day after it was posted. Seeing that fact, and seeing no banner for this find simply made me wonder why it had not been awarded banner. I had just begun to conclude, by now, that it was not going to be awarded a banner find, and that seemed wrong given everything about this find. Unless, indeed, someone is actually waiting for an opinion from an authenticator. Yet, we are told the rules require we do not suggest to a poster that his/her find is not authentic. So, again, given the one banner find went up in one day, I think it understandable if some are wondering if it was decided this find was not going to get banner. And if so, why? I really could not help wondering, as I go through the pages of the thread and see banner vote after banner vote.

I found it odd that first of all that the recent item made banner at all, let alone how fast it went up. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece but perhaps the material puts it over the top?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a left over roast. For the next four days.....but I like it!

Maybe yesterday's Christmas fruit cake, you know, the kind you have to cut with a chain saw. Or jackhammer.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banners are determined by "them". On the other hand we are "us". No, that doesn't make sense but we vote on them and lots of times the "thems" take notice and agree. BTW I would LOVE to find a GW button. Or a bannerstone. Or a lot of other items I have never found like an 18th century American silver coin. I bought a cheapo bannerstone a few years ago but it's dog food compared to this one.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though this is a amazing find it probably wont make Banner. The rules state that it has to be a 1st find of its kind and even though most collectors will never find one and its rare somebody else probably has already made banner with one in the past. Very nice find and I have never found one and Im not sure if I ever will, rock

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though this is a amazing find it probably wont make Banner. The rules state that it has to be a 1st find of its kind and even though most collectors will never find one and its rare somebody else probably has already made banner with one in the past. Very nice find and I have never found one and Im not sure if I ever will, rock

I don't recall that rule but even if it's part of the criteria, it's been ignored many times.

Not to mention that a piece like this, by its very nature, is unique and the "first (and only) of its kind".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread