boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that if the barometric pressure is falling it can cause unreliable locations.
,,What say those here? Anyone heard that before?
Thanks, elh
Nope! Never thought to pay attention to it
Interesting theory though. Might answer some folks questions, have you noticed anything?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Falling air pressure can indicate weather on the way that can produce storms or just rain. Electrically charged sky, my old metal detector often malfunctioned before storms hit. Once 24 hours before a tornado, target id went up and down the conductivity scale beeping erratically (even with coil up few feet from ground). Normally, right before storm is harder to dowse but not impossible. Never asked, perhaps certain dowsers get an extra boost from electrical energy.

OP
OP
E

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope! Never thought to pay attention to it
Interesting theory though. Might answer some folks questions, have you noticed anything?
Thanks Boogeyman, I have not paid any attention to it and I was told about that today. Now it has me wondering about it. Maybe try on known targets in the planted garden could reveal whether it will or will not affect it. I will probably put that on my bucket list.
I see Red Desert answered about his detector. That is interesting too.
I am in the deep South woods and the pressure has been slowly dropping all day.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Boogeyman, I have not paid any attention to it and I was told about that today. Now it has me wondering about it. Maybe try on known targets in the planted garden could reveal whether it will or will not affect it. I will probably put that on my bucket list.
I see Red Desert answered about his detector. That is interesting too.
I am in the deep South woods and the pressure has been slowly dropping all day.
Be cool to see what you come up with. I'll mess with when we get some actual weather here.

OP
OP
E

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be cool to see what you come up with. I'll mess with when we get some actual weather here.
Okay, I have tried the rod while the pressure is rising
AND, when it is falling.
On my planted targets I find no difference. Maybe some folks have a problem with it but it could turn out to be whatsoever a person thinks.
Some say dowsing will work only if you are barefooted, others swear by having a hat on,
etc., etc. You get the picture.
Have a great weekend.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently on FB group, had a water dowser tell me he uses hand drawn maps to find water. Uses a pendulum on site but map dowses the map first, which is drawn up by the person needing water located. So, he now tells everyone they need to draw up their maps by hand for dowsing.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently on FB group, had a water dowser tell me he uses hand drawn maps to find water. Uses a pendulum on site but map dowses the map first, which is drawn up by the person needing water located. So, he now tells everyone they need to draw up their maps by hand for dowsing.
That's interesting. The barefoot thing I can see. Grounding yourself to the earth would clear the negative energies and electrically ground you. But would it really matter what type map you dowsed? Not too sure on that one. If I were a skeptic I'd say he was just trying to save himself buying maps. But might be on to something too.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once watched a Ron Warmouth documentary (probably from 1990s) and I know this FB group dowser has been dowsing a decade or so before. Ron had the mine owner draw up a topo showing elevation lines on shaft walls. Map was then printed out large size for map dowsing.

Reactions: elh

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting. The barefoot thing I can see. Grounding yourself to the earth would clear the negative energies and electrically ground you. But would it really matter what type map you dowsed? Not too sure on that one. If I were a skeptic I'd say he was just trying to save himself buying maps. But might be on to something too.
No, it doesn't matter what type of map you use to dowse. Digital camera photos in close provide more dowsed information than satellite images (not zoomed in enough). However, I have used topographic, IR satellite, GPR readouts, mag hits (display printout), nautical gps with diver waypoints shown, nautical chart maps, and years ago hand drawn maps at the beach. They all worked, it's more of a personal preference issue.

OP
OP
E

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Red, also I was told that the marines were taugt how to dowse to find certain places and info in Vietnam. There is a lot of things that can be uncovered by dowsing. I personally think that it should be used down on the border. A good dowser could indicate drugs in trucks etc.
Suppose a dowser could set up on the Interstate
could tag the 18 wheelers with weed ? Might be fun thing just to see how good it would work.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Red, also I was told that the marines were taugt how to dowse to find certain places and info in Vietnam. There is a lot of things that can be uncovered by dowsing. I personally think that it should be used down on the border. A good dowser could indicate drugs in trucks etc.
Suppose a dowser could set up on the Interstate
could tag the 18 wheelers with weed ? Might be fun thing just to see how good it would work.
Dowsing equipment makers in the (UK?) put a $20K price tag and labeled it as good for dowsing, bombs, drugs, etc. Apparently Mexican government bought a huge supply of them for the military

I personally knew a Marine Sergeant who described his experience in Vietnam training a special operations group the art of dowsing. He told how when you step over the enemy bunker the Y-rod went down. The pull was so great there never left anyone in doubt.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The device has been sold to 20 countries in the Middle East and Asia, including Iraq and Afghanistan, for as much as US$60,000 each. The Iraqi government is said to have spent GB£52 million on the devices.[2]
The ADE 651 is a fake bomb detector[1] produced by the British company Advanced Tactical Security & Communications Ltd (ATSC). Its manufacturer claimed it could detect bombs, guns, ammunition, and more from kilometers away. However, it was a scam, and the device was little more than a dowsing rod.
(Article from that time period when device should have been in use.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

(Article from that time period when device should have been in use.)
Thanks Red, that is the first I have heard about the (UK?) thing. I don't doubt it though.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Red, that is the first I have heard about the (UK?) thing. I don't doubt it though.
I watched a video that got posted on a FB group showing all the bombs, weapons, and drugs the Mexican military is finding by dowsing. Expensive price tag convinced them to try it, practical application works with a no-nonsense approach.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a video that got posted on a FB group showing all the bombs, weapons, and drugs the Mexican military is finding by dowsing. Expensive price tag convinced them to try it, practical application works with a no-nonsense approach.
They say if something works for you in dowsing, use it. I can sure see how a hand drawn map could make an an impression on your subconscious.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say if something works for you in dowsing, use it. I can sure see how a hand drawn map could make an an impression on your subconscious.
Barometric pressure might be a factor. I surmised that dropping pressure is going to push air out of the soil. Maybe there is some gold ions mixed in? Definitely radon gas in the soil around here (decaying uranium). I recall a sailplane variometer which had a thermos bottle with a capillary tube coming out of it. Two small styrofoam balls were in a little window and when the pressure dropped the small amount of airflow was enough to suspend the styrofoam ball that showed the plane was lifting into lower pressure. Something like this could work to test to see if dropping pressure has any effect.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, tried a hand drawn map of beach on a lake near town. It was on a crowed weekend and a local metal detecting club hammered the beach during the week. I got hits between sidewalk and the lifeguard chair but almost to the seat frame. So, quickly walked to the spot, noticed blanket or towels covered area past the lifeguard. Beeped the spot with my Garrett and dug only one hole. This 1-ounce tie pin came up and I then filled in hole, got out of there quickly (went home). Tie pin came up clean, found a well-worn 14 in tiny circle on back. I know bright can mean gold plated, don't know or really care if it did turn out to be plated. Being worn and older I'm assuming it's real. Probably if I had stayed longer to dig, maybe more was there to find.

Attachments

• WIN_20221130_18_05_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221130_18_05_11_Pro.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 25
  • WIN_20221130_18_05_28_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221130_18_05_28_Pro.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 25
  • WIN_20221130_18_05_33_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221130_18_05_33_Pro.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 23
  • WIN_20221130_18_08_32_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221130_18_08_32_Pro.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 27

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere I saw an high accuracy barometer break out board for an Arduino. Don’t know if it would be sensitive enough. Same for the sailplane by variometer—may need a large barrel to be able to see the air escaping. I’ll look for that barometer and post a link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions