Copy (3) of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,598

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Pretty interesting story, too. Lots of references and other facts make me believe this one has merit to it. For further info, check out Ruby El Hult's "Lost mines and Buried Treasures of the Pacific Northwest".

Karma Guy

Nov 12, 2006
Kirkland, Wa
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Not all state parks are off limits in Washington, there are a few the md'ing is not allowed but not many. This could be off limits but you have to check with the ranger to be sure.

Good luck,

KG

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Nice.....is the park is off limits what will they do to a prospector call the police.
Design a MD and strapped to the dog - - - L O L
:)
You have to dig to pick up the doggi crap......

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
I know this is old but my 2 cents. A man and his family picnicked there and one of his boys brought him back a gold slug weighing several ounces. The boy couldn't fiond the same place he picked it up. There was also gold found by a road worker while laying the columbia river highway at same location. He actually had several caches from what I have read and the area is huge.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Actually, no gold caches were found when they built the highway below the Fort.

The Park won't allow any metal detecting or digging. Chances are the cache is not very deep. It is probably located under a rock or at the base of a tree.

The area is great for a vacation. Nearby the Park is the lighthouse, Long Beach, Astoria, the Lewis & Clark Museum, etc. There is a lot to do and see.

Just a few miles East from the Park, another gold cache was hidden by Captain Johnson. Ruby El Hult's book is a good resource for these treasure tales.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Fort Columbia is located on the SW corner of Washington State, and it over-looks the mouth of the Columbia River.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
While it was a state park, I believe the land is under negotiations to be returned to the Chinook Indian Nation, based in Ilwaco, WA. Ilwaco, btw, is named for one of fabled Chief Comconnolly's daughters.

One of Comconollly's son-in-laws was Dr. John McLoughlin, without whom the early settlers to Oregon probably would have starved. Comconolly is said to have visited McLoughlin in Oregon City, and was preceded by 300 Native Americans bearing sea otter skins, which were laid down so that Comconolly's feet would not touch the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread