Batea Gold Pan... homemade?

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’ve been seeing a bunch of youtube prospectors using the old Batea Pans, they seem to do the work of a regular pan in much less time once you get the hang of it. Just wondering if anyone has tried making one before? They sell for roughly $75.
I’m thinking a simple sheet of aluminum from Lowe’s or Home Depot, cutting it into a circle and either pressing it into the v shape or cutting half way down one side and welding to get the v shape. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too am fascinated by the batea but were I tempted to make one I would be inclined to turn one on a wood lathe. My choice for metal would be steel from a drum lid. Cut out a narrow wedge (pie piece) then draw those two corners together to form the cone shape. There are tutorials online to show how to make cones out of paper so, same basic steps and measurements.

Good luck

PS. Currently 55 bucks + shipping and includes a classifier and other misc. accessory items. Look up xp gold pan batea kit.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I’ve been seeing a bunch of you tube prospectors using the old Batea Pans, they seem to do the work of a regular pan in much less time once you get the hang of it. Just wondering if anyone has tried making one before? They sell for roughly $75.
I’m thinking a simple sheet of aluminum from Lowe’s or Home Depot, cutting it into a circle and either pressing it into the v shape or cutting half way down one side and welding to get the v shape. Thoughts?
Buy the alum. sheet and cut out the estimated dia. of what you want . Buy a sand bag and and large rounded poly body hammer for using it to roughly shape your bowl . Now find someone that has a pneumatic plashing hammer to smooth out the cone and now get a large pipe nipple (3 inch's or so) put the pipe underneath the center of the bowl and start to gently tap the the topside of the bowl to sink into the pipe nipple that is underneath the bowl and watch the alumn. edges that are being streached so that the metal don't rip on you! Take your time and co slowly and you'll be rewarded when done!

OP
OP
X4FRNT

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a hydraulic press, my thought is to cut the aluminum to size, build a round wood platform about 3-4 inches high and place the aluminum on top then use the press to push it down in the center, making a nice clean cone out of aluminum

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Spinning is the best method for making a batea out of metal. You end up with no seams or crevices for fine gold to get caught in and not be removable. For plastic, making a mold is a fairly simple process.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I have a hydraulic press, my thought is to cut the aluminum to size, build a round wood platform about 3-4 inches high and place the aluminum on top then use the press to push it down in the center, making a nice clean cone out of aluminum
Well go ahead and press one out and see the results... As you press it over a form, the metal will have to shrink and expand in area's .. As this happens you'll have a excess of metal in one area and a streached area in another..... here's where your problem will appear as you'll have the excess metal bunching up. Spinning will give you the best result's IMHO ! Try it and let's see the result's :coffee2:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
OR find a metal shop that has a English Wheel to roll out your Beata pan ! Then hammer out the bowled section at the bottom of your bowl to trap your gold !

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
lol, a hammer and some rags, aluminum, steel, or stainless
made one using the back of the drum from a horizontal washing machine
no Pic, sorry

here they are all made with a hammer

OP
OP
X4FRNT

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah that’s what I figured after doing some more research, I’m pretty good at making homemade machines and have lots of dc motors around at different RPM’s, might try making one of these if I can find the right RPM range I need to spin one out, may take quite a few pulleys. I found two methods that might work; see images below. And yes, welding is not the answer, even after welding it would take sanding and that would leave scratches for gold to catch on. 3B5DE955-2167-463E-885B-B27373095850.png 8E44DE04-CE75-4F96-AD2A-4557ACA3D83A.png

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would suggest just buying one. It all looks good on paper but believe me, you will have a lot and i do mean a lot of R & D ahead of you if your thinking about making a machine to do what you want. I am a precision sheet metal mechanic, i will look for my sheet metal hand book that has a step by step section to make a cone & bowl out of "0" condition Aluminium.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi X4 i see your on line i will upload some pics in just a few. Do you think this will help ? if so there is more steps to it.

Attachments

• 100_0504.JPG
    100_0504.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • 100_0505.JPG
    100_0505.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The book is very informative copy right 1942 maybe you can pick one up on line.

Attachments

• 100_0507.JPG
    100_0507.JPG
    920.9 KB · Views: 80

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have always been fascinated by the batea, an old friend of mine lived in various places in South America in the 1970ies living a hippie dream. She described the bateas being carved from wood or being forged from the lid of a 55 gallon drum. Wood bateas were preferable as they tend to float despite having to be kept constantly waterlogged to prevent splitting. Carved wooden pans are common throughout the world. Carved pans and hollowed out log rockers were the first tools used by the Argonauts of old.

OP
OP
X4FRNT

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally just decided to buy the XP betea pan, haven’t given it much use yet. Didn’t realize how big that thing is until it came in, and to use it you really need a good pool of very slow moving water. Once I get a chance to use it and test it out I’ll post a video and show everyone how it does.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally just decided to buy the XP betea pan, haven’t given it much use yet. Didn’t realize how big that thing is until it came in, and to use it you really need a good pool of very slow moving water. Once I get a chance to use it and test it out I’ll post a video and show everyone how it does.

That thing is huge! I got mine several weeks ago and just recently picked up a large tub from Tractor Supply that I think I can utilize here at home for cleanup work....the black mortar mixing bins found at lowes and home depot were too small to use so I had to find something big enough to use as did Keven Hoagland for his review of this pan.I have about 7 gallons of minus 100 mesh black sand concentrates from ocean beach mining to play with that I hope to be able to super concentrate for gold recovery. If I can get my gold to all settle in that center depression I will be in hog heaven.LOL

Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Having used the new XP Batea as well as a couple of other batea’s, both steel and aluminum, I am not convinced that the “Defragmenter” is necessary under most conditions. It is nice that the XP Batea includes it, and the design and included hardware are great. Under most conditions the swirling action and depressed center of the batea will be all you need to catch even the finest of gold. Clay paydirt is always a challenge but you can quickly learn to crumble the clay lumps with your fingers more effectively than with the Defragmenter.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I just like to make things thats why I talked about making one yourself! You were smart just to buy one and have fun with it !:coffee2:

Batea

Greenie
Jan 31, 2023
Weaverville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I just recently bought a wooden batea pan off ebay. The person who sold it at first thought it was a Asian hat until she done some research. It is a nice pan to look at and image the time and hand work too make. I went and bought a plastic version to try out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread