battery life on the 800

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Nox seems to be charging longer and running down faster. It's around 5 years old. Is this a reasonable time to expect to need a new battery?
That depends on how often you've used your Nox in those 5 years. Also, have you kept it charged over long periods of non use? Example: northern winters with snow and frozen ground take many of of us out of the game for several months. Still, have to charge the batteries in BT headphones, WM08 module and the Nox every couple of months. Hard to answer your question otherwise.
FWIW, my 800 arrived Feb. 2018 and is still going strong with hundreds of hours on it. I'm in northern New England where winters take me out of the game. I wind down usually in Dec.

ScoopRattler

May 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Nox seems to be charging longer and running down faster. It's around 5 years old. Is this a reasonable time to expect to need a new battery?
I have been having the same issue with charging time taking longer and longer. Recently, I fully charged the detector and went for a 2-hour hunt and had all 3 bars showing. The next day when I started only 2 bars showed (expected the usual 3 but didn't think it was a big deal) and had another short 2-hour hunt. The day after that I turned on the detector and had only 1 bar, so the battery was running down much faster than usual. I hunted for about 2 hours before the battery was depleted.

After that, I charged the detector for long periods on two consecutive days and the fully charged "solid green" light never showed. When turning on the detector, I was never able to see more than one bar.

I am guessing that the battery is the issue. I have had my EQ800 since May 2018 and am still on the original battery. I have at least 600-700 hours on that battery. My usage is consistent with no long stretches without being used. I have ordered a replacement battery that will arrive in a couple of days. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
My guess is that the source for charging isn't regulated, and the Nox battery gets hammered to death. I noticed exactly what you have in extended charge time and right then I switched over to using a power bank, not a wall wart as a source, The power bank has a regulator of its own. Charging was faster, and runtime fine. The Nox is supposed to regulate itself but I found the cure early, and never wasted a battery. Hope you don't have a damaged battery. Some of these wall worts are trouble. jm2c

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to replace the batteries. Kind of like having a half dead flashlight when the power goes out. Best to avoid getting out in the field and having the batteries run out of juice.

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to replace the batteries. Kind of like having a half dead flashlight when the power goes out. Best to avoid getting out in the field and having the batteries run out of juice.
Agreed. And use a good quality charger. The manual recommends a 5 volt charger with around a 2 amp output (not word for word, but that's the gist). Don't risk battery damage with a cheap charger.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
It was odd that I saw the long charging process the very first time using a new 2A wall wort and when I quit charging and used the power bank as a source for charging, it went thru a charge cycle as fast as it had always done. I was using another wall wort before getting these new ones and that one did fine. I can depend on my power bank with confidence. I run a "power doctor" in-line and look at the charge currents.

I would at least try another wort(maybe a 1 amp) if you have one somewhere, if you don't already have a power bank to test. The battery might still be valid and it'd save you $30 in a new battery plus the changing out routine.

I like power banks, and own three, a 24000 mah and two Energizer 10,000 mah. Bought them in bargain sales over time. I carry one in the car in my gear when I go out along with a charge cable. I've never needed it yet. Both of my Noxes are out of warranty but I'll admit, I don't hunt hard like you do.

OK. Off of my sales pitch for banks. Curious to hear what happens.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like being cautious. I have a portable propane heater. It has gotten dirty from use. I THINK I can take it apart and clean it, HOWEVER, with unpredictable winter weather approaching the new one will be here Monday. It saves a lot of fuel oil. Same principle with the batteries and chargers. These cell phone chargers don't last long, that's for sure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like being cautious. I have a portable propane heater. It has gotten dirty from use. I THINK I can take it apart and clean it, HOWEVER, with unpredictable winter weather approaching the new one will be here Monday. It saves a lot of fuel oil. Same principle with the batteries and chargers. These cell phone chargers don't last long, that's for sure.
Really? I've never had a phone charger fail.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Corroded charger wire and Nox terminals have been issues for me in the past, esp since salt water use. Make sure the terminals are clean and free of crap. Have to make sure the connection is good: otherwise, the light on the Nox might flash (fast) but unit won't charge. CLEAN THE TERMINALS!
Also, Nox 800 batteries are only good for so many charges, says somewhere in User's manual, like 500 times (?)

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are they getting for a new battery? I didnt know they could be changed...

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I remember someone stating in a prior thread here that battery replacement costs for the 800...dang, don't remember exactly anymore but was in range of $200-250 to have it replaced. Can't replace it yourself. If someone actually knows battery replacement cost for the 800, please state.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I remember someone stating in a prior thread here that battery replacement costs for the 800...dang, don't remember exactly anymore but was in range of $200-250 to have it replaced. Can't replace it yourself. If someone actually knows battery replacement cost for the 800, please state.
The replacement battery runs $30-$35 online and instructions is simple.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The replacement battery runs $30-$35 online and instructions is simple.
Just want to be careful if detector is still under warranty, if you change battery yourself and it leaks it may not be covered by warranty.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Just want to be careful if detector is still under warranty, if you change battery yourself and it leaks it may not be covered by warranty.
Me? I have never dunked mine. Yes, a warranty episode? I guess it changes the formula. Use the silicon on the seals and I would be surprised if it leaked after a new battery install. That is a personal opinion, cuz I never plunged my Equinox once.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me? I have never dunked mine. Yes, a warranty episode? I guess it changes the formula. Use the silicon on the seals and I would be surprised if it leaked after a new battery install. That is a personal opinion, cuz I never plunged my Equinox once.
Just giving my opinion :icon_thumleft:, based on working in the repair center.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Just giving my opinion :icon_thumleft:, based on working in the repair center.
"I remember someone stating in a prior thread here that battery replacement costs for the 800...dang, don't remember exactly anymore but was in range of $200-250 to have it replaced."

The previous members post in this thread suggested it could cost 200-to-250 dollars to have ML do it. I concur that if it still under warranty to tread slowly on doing it yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread