Battery Powered Shop Vac

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody have any suggestions for for the best battery powered shop vac for sucking crevices and cleaning up bedrock? Also any tips or tricks for getting into those crevices? Is a hepa filter a plus or minus? My home corded shop vac took a crap and I'm looking to replace it. Thought getting something I can use prospecting would be a plus.

Upvote 1

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard the bucket-head vacuum will work with a battory and inverter
seems like a 30amh deep cycle battory would work good

I checked into building one of these years ago.Pretty cool, liked the idea.But it seems like a lot of 'stuff to carry in' when you factor in all the other gear :icon_scratch:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
You could increase the surface area of the spark arrester to help out with the loss of power. Check with the current FS screen size mesh to make sure.
Qualifications for OHV Spark Arresters
The qualification standard requires spark arresters to be permanently marked with the model number and manufacturer’s name or trademark.

Whenever contact is made with an OHV, regardless of what type of machine is used, a spark arrester inspection should be made.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Qualifications for OHV Spark Arresters
The qualification standard requires spark arresters to be permanently marked with the model number and manufacturer’s name or trademark.

Whenever contact is made with an OHV, regardless of what type of machine is used, a spark arrester inspection should be made.
Ask at a FS center what after market arresters they will recognize marked or unmarked. This will go along with manufactures lists. You may want a written list.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ask at a FS center what after market arresters they will recognize marked or unmarked. This will go along with manufactures lists. You may want a written list.
Some will also ask you to remove for an inspection to measure the mesh size.

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I've heard the bucket-head vacuum will work with a battory and inverter
seems like a 30amh deep cycle battory would work good

Hello Mr. 58,
I'm no expert, but a 30 amp hr. battery is not going to give you much run time. Plus, when you invert from DC to ac, you typically lose 20 %. . If you want to figure out the size battery you need, there is a great book called "Managing 12 volts". You can get it online.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing beats out a gas powered vac pac, I got one just before the ban on motorized mining equipment in california. Sadly any motorized , Electric or gas is illegal.
And your state just passed on their chance to get rid of your leader, go figure. There is more to come, how far do you expect to travel in an electric car, where are you going to plug it in while you wait 10 hours for it to charge.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And your state just passed on their chance to get rid of your leader, go figure. There is more to come, how far do you expect to travel in an electric car, where are you going to plug it in while you wait 10 hours for it to charge.
I think the restrictions may have a lot to do with handling the water in a given drainage. Electric and gas can be used below the ground.

Yea there was a recall for the Oregon governor as well. Go figure. Just my 2-cents here.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the restrictions may have a lot to do with handling the water in a given drainage. Electric and gas can be used below the ground.

Yea there was a recall for the Oregon governor as well. Go figure. Just my 2-cents here.
I think there are several states that should recall the governors, Arizona included, and the request should have a follow through. These people were elected to serve the interest of the people, not themselves/or the rich.
As far as switching to electric vehicles/lawn equipment think of LA during a rush hour and the vehicles start to die during the summer, landscapers leaving a dead riding mower in your yard for a day.
And what about "fracking old oil reserves" seems to be major issues, now they want to mine and old lake they drained because of growth, to get Lithium a hazardous waste. And the world complains of global warming. Nuclear energy plants have waste that is stored for eternity, what will be done with the lithium, which 3rd world country will we send it to.
Sorry I keep ranting when I think of Stupidity.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To use in MOST forest's the spark arrester needs to be USFS approved and UNMODIFIED !
There is many third party spark arresters out there. The FS may have there approved list of manufactures. Many engines do not always come with a spark arrester and this is part of the reason for a third party arrester. A few arresters are made to be cleaned and are not welded closed. The FS may not want to disclose any that are not enclosed or welded.

The best is to run an engine gasses through an under ground chamber before the gasses exit the ground. Far better then any spark arrester.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All spark arrester's need to have their "screen " cleaned to operate properly! a build up of Carbon is a performance killer !
A number of the low end mufflers with spark arrester you can not clean.

Better units you can disassemble completely or in part for cleaning. This can be pointed out by the way for better performance and less sparks.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If you cant clean them when they are loaded with carbon on their screens the performance will drop to ZIP quickly and you'll get rid of or just stop using it completely ! I learned of this on 2 cycle dirt bikes years ago and corrected that problem by burning the loaded up carbon deposits . If someone assembled this piece new , someone CAN open it up and repair it when carbon fouled ! I know cause I did this to my spark arrester's on my equipment. So I know other's can do the same IF NEEDED ! It isn't rocket science !:icon_thumleft:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you cant clean them when they are loaded with carbon on their screens the performance will drop to ZIP quickly and you'll get rid of or just stop using it completely ! I learned of this on 2 cycle dirt bikes years ago and corrected that problem by burning the loaded up carbon deposits . If someone assembled this piece new , someone CAN open it up and repair it when carbon fouled ! I know cause I did this to my spark arrester's on my equipment. So I know other's can do the same IF NEEDED ! It isn't rocket science !:icon_thumleft:
Best to get a unit that is easy to take apart. The easy way to clean them is to take a propane torch to the screen to get red hot to burn off the carbon. If the buildup is not bad you can soak the screen over night and wire brush off the buildup.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The trick with some third party spark arresters is the mounting or the can that it goes into needs to often be fabricated. One can also mount a sign near the arrester showing the screen size for all to read.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been switching my tools over to the Ryobi 18v One+ battery system. So far, so good! I was looking at this one because of the storage. I wouldn't need more then 1 battery but I have 2 and could toss it inside with some tools.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone out there make there own battery packs using D cell sized batteries and D cell holders?

Any tips on connecting the cell holders and mounting together?
Thanks.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That vacuum should work good Reed. What other tools are you running on the Ryobi battery system?
I‘m converting some of my tools to battery operation also. Even considering getting a battery powered chain saw for pruning my fruit trees. It’s getting tough to climb around the trees with a conventional chain saw.

61C0974B-0A48-44B7-9D5F-C0BFE4BE763F.jpeg
Here I’m using loppers on an old king apple tree.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions