Nashville Coat buttons back 5.2022.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 38

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is stunning, talk about historic! The visuals that come to mind thinking about how those buttons ended up there- simply mind-boggling- Big time Congrats!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I recovered the remains of a Civil War soldiers coat. I was detecting at the Battle of Nashville, first day of fighting, in the Confederate lines and found all of the Eagle buttons around the base of a dogwood tree not more than two feet apart from each other. I was using a Minelab Equinox 600.
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I recovered the remains of a Civil War soldiers coat. I was detecting at the Battle of Nashville, first day of fighting, in the Confederate lines and found all of the Eagle buttons around the base of a dogwood tree not more than two feet apart from each other. I was using a Minelab Equinox 600.
CONGRATS!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves Mike, wtg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know my US military buttons all that well.
Just wondering if they're from the same coat, why is there 3 different types?

OP
OP
Mike N Tn.

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
I don't know my US military buttons all that well.
Just wondering if they're from the same coat, why is there 3 different types?
I think the buttons are the remains of a Rebel frock coat. I’ve seen mismatched buttons on Confederate coats in museums before. The Rebs would replace missing buttons with whatever they had at the time. The Eagle I coat button was in the same hole as one of the regular Eagle coat buttons, and I had to uncover the hole to redig the I button. The only way to be certain of course is to have been there in person in December of 1864.

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome save! Congratulations:icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the buttons are the remains of a Rebel frock coat. I’ve seen mismatched buttons on Confederate coats in museums before. The Rebs would replace missing buttons with whatever they had at the time. The Eagle I coat button was in the same hole as one of the regular Eagle coat buttons, and I had to uncover the hole to redig the I button. The only way to be certain of course is to have been there in person in December of 1864.
Yeap, or have it still attached to part of the jacket together

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it is worth, I've been a Civil War reenactor for a number of years and done a lot of research on my impression. I'm guessing the buttons are from a Federal 4 button sack coat and the two smaller "cuff buttons" are from a kepi chin strap. To minimize cost, there were no cuff buttons on sack coats. Uniforms in the field were expected to last 90 days. Old uniforms were simply discarded (sometimes burned) as they were replaced.

I was a relic hunter before I became a reenactor. I could never understand how people lost so many buttons. After two seasons "in the field" as a reenactor, I began to understand as I lost a button or some kind of equipment at almost every event.

hugoborchardt

Aug 27, 2013
Franklin, TN
Detector(s) used
e-Trac, F75, GTI 1350, other
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! Killer, killer find!

OH..POPS

Dec 18, 2021
Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job Mike with your Battle finds. Keep on Hunting that Battle site and see what else is found. GREAT JOB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread