🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Bayonet Markings.....?

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Lock-ring bayonet for a Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle, that is currently on my P1853 Snider-Enfield. I've gone back an forth on the meaning/orgin of the markings.

After I cleaned it up a bit I was able to make out a possible W A with a B 54 beneath that. My limited internet search turned up a possible match to a R & W A or Richard & William Aston made bayonet. The B 54 being the Birmingham Inspection mark.

Now the absence of the Crown above the B 54, leaves me with the question is that because it was issued to Non-British country or something? Could never find a definitive answer on the lack of crown markings.....!

Do you think the marking is what's left of a R & W A marking?

First picture is of my bayonet's markings, second picture of a bayonet with a readable R & W A marking, and the last picture of it installed.

20200928_175903.jpg

20200928_180046.jpg
20200928_143826.jpg

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sarge,I can,t help with your markings,but that,s a nice example of a bayonet of that type.I do know that research on bayonets can be interesting,particularly British bayonets since the Brits used a lot of markings and they all have a meaning if you can translate them.Good luck to you and a Merry Christmas.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Sarge,I can,t help with your markings,but that,s a nice example of a bayonet of that type.I do know that research on bayonets can be interesting,particularly British bayonets since the Brits used a lot of markings and they all have a meaning if you can translate them.Good luck to you and a Merry Christmas.

I'm at a standstill so far, I can only assume what I see is a WA on mine. I haven't been able to find any other manufacturers with a WA marking. If it's in fact a Richard & William Aston made bayonet, then it would be an early made one. R.W. Aston were one of the first Pattern 1853 bayonet contractors, approved by the Board of Ordinance around 06 October 1853.

Plus a Safe and Very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Upvote 1

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the picture definitely looks like the R & W A marking, as the font looks the same. Perhaps the lack of the crow was due to it being sold for use outside of the UK.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread