Beach day…. Gold, silver and plated?

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
First gold and silver of the year for me….. mens 14k wedding band and a 925 toe ring.
Also found what i assumed was going to be a junker key chain…. A fork cut and bent to resemble a middle finger with a rusted out split ring. The stem of the fork reads “National Double Tested Silver” and is cut right at the “r” in silver. A quick google search found lots of references for “Nat. Double Tested Silverplate”. Anyone know if it was always “silverplate”? The cut part of the fork stem does not look plated.

Attachments

• D3C94745-EBB5-4DF5-ABF4-2CFA99B30789.jpeg
    D3C94745-EBB5-4DF5-ABF4-2CFA99B30789.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • 44EBE9C7-007E-4210-B9EC-A433CA114C05.jpeg
    44EBE9C7-007E-4210-B9EC-A433CA114C05.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Upvote 16

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your great finds!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First gold and silver of the year for me….. men 14k wedding band and a 925 toe ring.
Also found what i assumed was going to be a junker key chain…. A fork cut and bent to resemble a middle finger with a rusted out split ring. The stem of the fork reads “National Double Tested Silver” and is cut right at the “r” in silver. A quick google searchfound lots of references for “Nat. Double Tested Silverplate”. Anyone know if it was always “silverplate”? The cut part of the fork stem does not look plated.
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful recoveries

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds.

The National Silver Company (of New York City) is poorly documented, but from around 1900 they made both sterling silver and silver plated flatware, with some of the patterns from the earlier part of their history made in both metals. Flatware under their own name was discontinued in the late 1950s.

Anything marked ‘Double Tested’ will be silver plated and the mark in full would have read ‘Double Tested Silverplate’. The cut on your fork has coincidentally been made after the ‘r’, so the ‘plate’ part of ‘Silverplate’ is missing. The plating was on ‘white metal’ (nickel silver) with no actual silver content, but it had the appearance of silver (occasionally you can see a slight yellowish tinge) and often stands up to tarnishing equally well - or sometimes better – compared to silver.

I don't recognise the pattern from the remaining portion. It's tedious trying to track down patterns without having the terminal part of the handle to go on.

OP
OP
H

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Good finds.

The National Silver Company (of New York City) is poorly documented, but from around 1900 they made both sterling silver and silver plated flatware, with some of the patterns from the earlier part of their history made in both metals. Flatware under their own name was discontinued in the late 1950s.

Anything marked ‘Double Tested’ will be silver plated and the mark in full would have read ‘Double Tested Silverplate’. The cut on your fork has coincidentally been made after the ‘r’, so the ‘plate’ part of ‘Silverplate’ is missing. The plating was on ‘white metal’ (nickel silver) with no actual silver content, but it had the appearance of silver (occasionally you can see a slight yellowish tinge) and often stands up to tarnishing equally well - or sometimes better – compared to silver.

I don't recognise the pattern from the remaining portion. It's tedious trying to track down patterns without having the terminal part of the handle to go on.
Thank you Red-Coat!
Based on the images i found online, i was more than a little suspicious of the location of the cut…. Fun day out all the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread