Beach Detecting

Marinehunter

Jan 31, 2012
New York/Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Pro-pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked this on another forum, just wondering.

How do you search/detect a beach?

Some people go from the base of the dune to the waters edge and work their way back up to the dune and then back to the water etc, etc.

Another is following the high tide line.

Others follow the shell line clusters.

Some follow the beach towel line.

And some walk along the dune BUT not going in the dune.

What do you do?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the above in a grid pattern. I drag a 4 foot long sand scoop behind me so to leave a track as to where I all ready hunted. After 4 hours worth of hunting the beach has all these weird lines all over the place....

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go all over the place...I also drag my scoop so I can tell where Ive been.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I search at low tide, water to hightide line for lost jewerly. Just above the high tide line where the blankets were for metalic dropings. I search at the beach entrances for coins. The rest of the beach is a waste of time. Frank

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take the time to Watch the beach during a few different times during a regular day!!! to see where they are Hanging Out!!!

I try to get out early when the Dog walkers are there Just before they Start Picking Up the Trash!!! Scope out the Party Areas!!! Chug

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I agree with what others have said. I love working beaches. First, you need to go where there are a lot of people. Study where they spred their towels and blankets or sit on chairs. Watch where they play in the water. Lots of times people stay close to the lifeguard chairs when they have kids. Another area is in front of confectionary stands. I have also found a lot around or near the ropes that act as barriers. Volleyball area have also been very productive. Second, what type of beach are you working? Is it a beach at a river, lake or ocean. A river beach usually has very little wave action. This means very little movement if an item is dropped in the water. As for an ocean beach, it is like a washing machine. It may be a few inches into the sand or a few feet, depending on how long it has been there. Lakes fall in between the two cases. Third, what is the sand like... is it soft where you leave a foot print when you walk in it or hard packed. Forget the hard packed ones. Its like dropping a coin on the sidewalk. If it is soft, as soon as you drop a coin into this type of beach it disappears.
Also, you never know where people loose items... so search everywhere. Use your imagination and picture late night parties with lots of drinking. I use to get angry at the mess they left behind until one THer pointed out these where one of his most productive areas. I have a few other areas I really like which I will keep to myself... not being mean, but I have learned through working beaches over the past 20 some years. Hope this will help you.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM - hope it helps

Top Member Reactions