Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2020
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am possibly going to Florida in a few weeks to get out of the cold. I have never detected on the beach. I read up on the laws in Florida and it is my understanding that you can only hunt between the dunes and the high tide mark. Am I understanding this correctly? I have a Minelab Equinox 600 and was really looking forward to at least getting out on a low tide.
TIA.

Upvote 2

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You're restricted from hunting in the water along the Treasure Coast as that area is leased by the state to salvage operations. Other areas except state and national beaches are open to water hunting...such areas like Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, etc are fair game for you to get in the water.

Good luck....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're restricted from hunting in the water along the Treasure Coast as that area is leased by the state to salvage operations. Other areas except state and national beaches are open to water hunting...such areas like Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, etc are fair game for you to get in the water.

Good luck....

Colonel is correct, the restriction your speaking of is on the Treasure Coast on Florida's east coast from just north of Jensen beach to about 1/2 mile north of Sebastian Inlet.

Here is a link on the treasure coast.

1715 Treasure Fleet GPS Cordinates (treasurenet.com)

All National sea shores are off limits and so are all inland state parks, state parks on the coast, some allow detecting, you have to ask when you enter, some on the coast allow detecting on the beach only.

Good luck detecting.....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive done very good vacation hunting Florida - Im from Ma. - always wonder how i wouldve done if i lived down there
CASPER-2's Album: FINDS FROM FLORIDA TRIPS (treasurenet.com)

75116520c59bcbc9e4.gif

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. :hello:

OP
OP
H

Hflinger

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2020
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am kind of late getting back to you on this, but you answered my question perfectly. I will be on the Gulf Coast from 4/5/ - 4/11. I will then go to the East Coast, Cocoa Beach area, for at least 2 days. Really looking forward to it.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HI YOU have to PAY $$$$ to Walk THE BEACH ! NOT FREE LIKE in NY NJ !

I don't know what beaches you've been hunting down here, but all the ones I hunt in central Florida do not charge you to walk on the beach and I've been doing this for years. At some beaches you may have to pay to park but that's it...and there are many that offer free parking.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I would apply for a Florida Metal Detecting Permit in advance, Most are free Orlando area Also Get a Fossil Permit for Florida, its a Yearly Application $ 5.00 , I keep these Permit with me. I got the Metal Detecting form by e-mail and faxed it back, and was approved in under 30 minutes The Fossil Permit by United Post Office Service / / goldnugget

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would apply for a Florida Metal Detecting Permit in advance, Most are free Orlando area Also Get a Fossil Permit for Florida, its a Yearly Application $ 5.00 , I keep these Permit with me. I got the Metal Detecting form by e-mail and faxed it back, and was approved in under 30 minutes The Fossil Permit by United Post Office Service / / goldnugget

Never heard of a Florida Metal Detecting Permit. Tell me more.

Kepfingered

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2021
VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster /Minlab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Fla for ten years a co worker of mine was into surf detecting in the 90s, He found a 5k Rolex watch which was still ticking in the surf which he sold for $4200 to a collector

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don’t need a permit or have to pay to get on the beaches other than parking…..I live here…….was at Sebastian all weekend, no one asked me for a permit……BS……

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did your Florida hunt go? Did you have to pay any fees, etc.? Hope you had some great finds!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lived here in South Florida for 32 years, I have never had to pay to go on a beach!
Parking is the only thing I pay to go to the beach.

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread