Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2020
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am possibly going to Florida in a few weeks to get out of the cold. I have never detected on the beach. I read up on the laws in Florida and it is my understanding that you can only hunt between the dunes and the high tide mark. Am I understanding this correctly? I have a Minelab Equinox 600 and was really looking forward to at least getting out on a low tide.
TIA.

Upvote 2

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20220207_084851.jpg
    20220207_084851.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am possibly going to Florida in a few weeks to get out of the cold. I have never detected on the beach. I read up on the laws in Florida and it is my understanding that you can only hunt between the dunes and the high tide mark. Am I understanding this correctly? I have a Minelab Equinox 600 and was really looking forward to at least getting out on a low tide.
TIA.
thats in the wreck areas - everywhere else is pretty much fair game - wreck areas are under lease = no water hunting

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TIA.
I detected south Florida beaches for years I can safely say the for the most part, the best stuff is in the water. The loose change, foil and bottle caps and metal tent stakes are in the dry sand. As long as you aren't on the treasure coast leased areas or a federal protected zone or state park, then the water is legal to detect.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this shot in Predido Key Florida last Monday at 7:48am. It was in the mid 30s and I've concluded that cold in Florida is bone chilling cold. I couldn't stop shivering. Lots of sea shell to investigate though.
you would not fair well in my waters then = New England
Fla. waters - the coldest they get is usually still warmer than ours get
full

me and old friend hunting in March I think - its winter waters
both wearing 7mm 2 piece farmer johns gloves and boots = 7mm

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me with a few Florida winter water hunters - i can get away with just tee and trunks
but will usually wear sweatshirt or kayak/dive jacket - not so much for warmth but to keep jellies and mon o wars off me (so i dress this way any season down there)- i also wear thin gloves so i can push the nasties away - know many guys that are locals and
i can hear guys yelping from stings cause they dont want long sleeves in the summer and dont wear gloves
full

full

full

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me with a few Florida winter water hunters - i can get away with just tee and trunks
but will usually wear sweatshirt or kayak/dive jacket - not so much for warmth but to keep jellies and mon o wars off me (so i dress this way any season down there)- i also wear thin gloves so i can push the nasties away - know many guys that are locals and
i can hear guys yelping from stings cause they dont want long sleeves in the summer and dont wear gloves
full

full

full
even when hot in summer - if you stay in water all day - water is still cooler than your body temp and it can give you a chill - hooked with a local yrs ago and he wore a thin wet suit and watched him get hyperthermia - lips were blue and he was shivering - he had no body fat and grew up down there so for him it was cold
it doesnt faze Canadians either - winter is popular for them down there (my family is originally from Canada

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this shot in Predido Key Florida last Monday at 7:48am. It was in the mid 30s and I've concluded that cold in Florida is bone chilling cold. I couldn't stop shivering. Lots of sea shell to investigate though.
Because of our high humidity, our wet cold goes straight to your bones.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected south Florida beaches for years I can safely say the for the most part, the best stuff is in the water. The loose change, foil and bottle caps and metal tent stakes are in the dry sand. As long as you aren't on the treasure coast leased areas or a federal protected zone or state park, then the water is legal to detect.
Keep in mind that the wet sand below the dry sand was underwater at high tide.

You are correct diggum, I also find the majority of my gold and silver in the water, a lot in the wet sand as the tide goes out, and a few in the dry sand. Towel line is a good area to check....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love beach detecting
Sand is so easy!
Some beaches ban metal tools, so get yourself a plastic scoop

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of our high humidity, our wet cold goes straight to your bones.
Tell me about it. It didn't get above the mid 50s. At least it was nice and quiet. Being I'm acclimated to a western time zone I was getting up at 3:30am and I could see light of boats disappear over the horizon. I don't know if they were large ships or fishing boats heading out?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread