Beach Mining the west coast?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dose anyone know or have any insight to the legal aspect of mining the beaches of CA,OR,WA? It's all over the place up here in AK. They are state claims. I've heard that AK is the only place w' claims on state land. Is that a fact? Are all beaches/tideland in the west state owned? And is all mining prohibited on these state lands? What about farther offshore?

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm yet to hear of anyone getting gold gold on the west coast beaches, or offshore. Oregon has been mentioned but I never seen any pics of west coast beach gold.

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is some mining history on the west coast for sure. Just think of all those great rivers all dumping out into the pacific. It's out there no doubt. It must be legally protected, that's got to be why we don't hear about people doing it.

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boom Town of Randolf n. of Coquille river OR 1854. One big storm washed away the pay and it was all over. Others in OR. Opher, Pistol river, Port Orford, Gold Beach. Gold bluff CA.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in California a large majority of coast is protected habitat, I highly doubt any kind of off sore mining would be tolerated as even pwc are not allowed or shunned in most areas.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in Washington state it is legal to mine certain beaches if you get an HPA from the state WDFW. All coastal beaches are state owned or Tribal and federal. I have mined at Cape Disappointment were the Columbia river flows out into the ocean and yes there is a lot of gold but it is micron gold mixed in a lot of black sand. The beaches are totally black after a storm. Hope this helps, Ed

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calif. Go to jail-do not pass go-do not get $200---just insanity as beach closings progress at a astounding pace and fees through the roof. Where has OUR America gone sic sic sic-John

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Calif. Go to jail-do not pass go-do not get $200---just insanity as beach closings progress at a astounding pace and fees through the roof. Where has OUR America gone sic sic sic-John
I am SOOOOOOOO sick of califonia .... I wish the damn place would hurry up and peel off into the Pacific.........:BangHead:

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
The HPA in wa is also free and good for 5 years. It took us about 8 years working with the various agencys to get it through. The wa shoreline is controlled by the Parks dept where not indian land or national park.Basically the coast is open from the southern border of the Quinalt Indian Reservation to the mouth of the Columbia River. No claims can be filed.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos and much respect to those who contributed. At least you have a few years unless environutz attack with legal bs-John :hello2:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tushay my friend :thumbsup: I stand corrected. That is very cool. You got a good amount of flour in that pan! Looks like gold butter!
That was the result of 4, 5 gallon buckets of beach sand.......:laughing7:.... Glad I could help with your hearing..:tongue3:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am SOOOOOOOO sick of califonia .... I wish the damn place would hurry up and peel off into the Pacific.........:BangHead:

I happen to love the land in which I live (happens to be NorCal) but yes, all of the crazies go back down to SoCal or just just leave :) I know, I know.... I'm dreaming.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happen to love the land in which I live (happens to be NorCal) but yes, all of the crazies go back down to SoCal or just just leave :) I know, I know.... I'm dreaming.

Ah yes, the solution is called....the State of Jefferson.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I actually agree with you in that northern cal is a beautiful place, and as is the case so often you are far from the populated areas of the south that seem to make the rule for everybody else in your state.... I feel for ya buddy.....:sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread