Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sow black bear and her cub have been having a field day with the dumpsters in our block, I'm tired of cleaning it up, so I waited up for them last night. I'm just going to maybe get a pic, make a lot of noise and throw rocks to let them know this is not a welcome area. Nothin happened but when I came out at 5a.m. there they were, getting ready to start on the dumpster across the street. I spent the next hour and a half trying to herd them to the creek a block north. They kept coming back in. They're not very dangerous, but at one point they went off into some brush on the side of the road. It was pretty dark and I couldn't tell how close they were, but then the mama bear stood up looking at me about 25 feet away. Then I heard her teeth popping, some huffing and puffing, and here she come. It was a bluff charge and she pulled up about 15 feet away and jumped on a tree trunk, growling at me. Stood my ground, gave her some space and finally got them out of the neighborhood. They did manage to get the overhead door open on an enclosure about 2 blocks down and drag a dumpster out, where they hit the jackpot. No clean up in our block today though.

Attachments

• 9-18aa.jpg
    9-18aa.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 9-18bb.jpg
    9-18bb.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 52

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"stood up looking at me about 25 feet away. Then I heard her teeth popping, some huffing and puffing, and here she come. It was a bluff charge and she pulled up about 15 feet away" Strange, the same thing happened to me on a beach while detecting and I got too close to another detectorist.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too worried about them Mine Shaft. My goal is to make them believe crazy people live in this block so stay away. I'll douse our dumpster with ammonia and Waste Management is going to bring in some bear resistant models for this area. That charge was my fault cause I got too close and made her nervous.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem. I'd hear them by the dumpster (metal one) in the middle of the night and I'd get up and shoot a roman candle at them from my porch. They'd run like hell but come back later when I was in a deeper sleep and knock it over. Several times with the fireworks did not deter them at all. Regarding danger, my sister and bro in law are wild life biologists in AK who take undergrads out (way out) into the wilderness and they have to take and give bear training every year. They are taught that the black bears are more dangerous than the brown bears simply because the black bears are considered more unpredictable in their behavior. I kept my old Springfield trapdoor 45-70 near the door just in case when I went out to yell at them. They never came towards me but the rifle made me feel more confident, especially when mama came by with a couple of cubs.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if you could fill balloons with Ammonia and place them in the dumpster , then smear some bacon grease on them . A big surprise when they bite down on the balloons.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure why people fear bears

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
They get pretty curious around my house, too! I like seeing these fuzzy critters!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.48.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.48.26 PM.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.48.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.48.53 PM.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 62

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gettum rginn.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have any bears but I live in the country and can tell you critters will run you over if you let them. Gary

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in Florida people are moving into bear habitat & encounter them more and more. They just want food & are in the garbage cans making a mess. Eventually the people get bear proof cans. They stopped bear hunting here awhile back and there are more but still not common.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we now apparently have Papa bear in the neighborhood, but none of them have come back to my dumpster. Idea we had ticndig is we take and rub bacon grease all over the dumpster, the one about 4 blocks away. And it gets my attention that this is the most bear activity we've had in town here in several years. I don't think their population has exploded, but the food situation in the woods must be pretty bad.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bears are cool. Powerful fight or flight instincts. But they are smart, fun animals to watch, unless they're doing what RGINN is dealing with. Back in 1971, sorry, bear with me. Get it? Anyway, I was 17, my Sis was 15, and my Mom and Dad decided to buy 15 acres of forested land on the south slope of Baldy Mountain, North Idaho, surrounded by newly minted unsold parcels, in the middle of a section of such lots, butted up against State Forest to the north. Hunter's Paradise, right? Well, it was. Deer, bear, snowshoe and cottontail wabbits, and tons of grouse, ruffed, spruce, and blue.

Black bear were numerous, and were around , stone's throw, while we built our small 1 1/2 story house that summer. Dad went to work for the County that fall, and one evening he got home after dark, which was normal. He parked about 20 yards from the house, and started the short walk in the dark, as usual. He heard Skippy, our Australian Blue Heeler, jump up from his lookout spot at the head of the drive, and trot up from behind to join him. The dog rubbed up against Dad's leg, so he bent down and scratched it behind the ears. When he walked in, there was Skippy, laying by the woodstove. Long story short, it was a 2 or 3 year old black bear that got the scratch.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An unwanted guest! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting