pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was attached to the face of a studio tape player.
I did the recycling of a large tv network and in bin we came across the recorder/player. (Empty😢)
Have never had time to find it in storage, but it reappeared again.
I really was wondering after some 25 yrs are the signatures the real deal.
This was probably done at the time when the Beatles were in Toronto/Montreal era.
20211204_185020.jpg

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Andy's signature looks right but that is definitely not Yoko's signature.

Looks like Billy & Bobby were signed by the same person. Split personality or a two headed circus freek are the obvious suspects there. The circus freek theory is easier to check out so I'd start there.

The George looks like it was written by the same person as Paul only with their left hand. George's writing was much more open and leaned the other way. I'm very familiar with John's signature and I don't see it here. Maybe fake Yoko asked him to stay outside with Nilsson?

I'm lost about the ilka one signature, pete and repeat? (ilka means each) That and Dingostar? character look like some of the glam rock folks around Bowie more than Beatle material. Ringo's signature had a big rolling round obvious R at the beginning.

Oh .. the Paul signature ... who cares... I'm still mad at him. I hope he marries Ian Anderson and has pug dogs for babies.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Andy's signature looks right but that is definitely not Yoko's signature.

Looks like Billy & Bobby were signed by the same person. Split personality or a two headed circus freek are the obvious suspects there. The circus freek theory is easier to check out so I'd start there.

The George looks like it was written by the same person as Paul only with their left hand. George's writing was much more open and leaned the other way. I'm very familiar with John's signature and I don't see it here. Maybe fake Yoko asked him to stay outside with Nilsson?

I'm lost about the ilka one signature, pete and repeat? (ilka means each) That and Dingostar? character look like some of the glam rock folks around Bowie more than Beatle material. Ringo's signature had a big rolling round obvious R at the beginning.

Oh .. the Paul signature ... who cares... I'm still mad at him. I hope he marries Ian Anderson and has pug dogs for babies.
Thanks for the info-makes one wonder what the setting was when the pen hit the paper. Too much loving highs or just a lot of fooling around/jesting.

One though regarding the Billy and Bobby sig/ is like many things in life one person will sign a card for both partners. :dontknow:
Would it be Billy Preston-though now who was Bobby?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One though regarding the Billy and Bobby sig/ is like many things in life one person will sign a card for both partners. :dontknow:
Would it be Billy Preston-though now who was Bobby?

I wondered if “Billy & Bobby” might be the “Alessi Brothers” from New York, also just known as “Alessi”. They came to international prominence with their 1977 hit single "Oh Lori" and later recorded a version of McCartney’s “Two of Us”. Over the years they have both arranged and produced for many artists, including Paul.

Paul seems to have been dabbling with other ventures and collaborations with New York musicians during and after the time of the Beatles break-up. Before it was reworked for the January 1969 Get Back/Let It Be sessions, “Two of Us” was originally titled “On Our Way Home” and Paul produced an unreleased version with that title in May 1969, for an obscure New York based folk trio signed to Apple Records called “Mortimer”.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wondered if “Billy & Bobby” might be the “Alessi Brothers” from New York, also just known as “Alessi”. They came to international prominence with their 1977 hit single "Oh Lori" and later recorded a version of McCartney’s “Two of Us”. Over the years they have both arranged and produced for many artists, including Paul.

Paul seems to have been dabbling with other ventures and collaborations with New York musicians during and after the time of the Beatles break-up. Before it was reworked for the January 1969 Get Back/Let It Be sessions, “Two of Us” was originally titled “On Our Way Home” and Paul produced an unreleased version with that title in May 1969, for an obscure New York based folk trio signed to Apple Records called “Mortimer”.
You're the best Red-Coat :hello2:
Thanks for that information and I will certainly follow up with an email and Picture to the brothers as it seems they do reply to inquiries from fans.
(Though I actually can't recall them)

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're the best Red-Coat :hello2:
Thanks for that information and I will certainly follow up with an email and Picture to the brothers as it seems they do reply to inquiries from fans.
(Though I actually can't recall them)

You're welcome... although I don't know if that will lead anywhere.

The Alessi Brothers had other Beatles connections too. They provided backing vocals on some tracks for the John Lennon/Yoko Ono album "Milk and Honey", recorded in 1980 but not released until 1984 after Lennon's death.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one person signing the 2 names makes more sense, like the twin brothers.

Upvote 1

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I remember the Alessi Brothers. Seems they were late 70's early 80's? Long after the Beatles in any case.

I couldn't find any signatures for the two together but I did find several autographs apart and I can't see any resemblance to the writing on the label.
R-10889260-1506368332-4871.jpeg.jpg

R-10889188-1506368101-1916.jpeg.jpg

alessi-brothers-vinyl-collection-lp-cd-autograph-record-album-words-music-reason_44528366

Upvote 2
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember the Alessi Brothers. Seems they were late 70's early 80's? Long after the Beatles in any case.

I couldn't find any signatures for the two together but I did find several autographs apart and I can't see any resemblance to the writing on the label.
R-10889260-1506368332-4871.jpeg.jpg

R-10889188-1506368101-1916.jpeg.jpg

alessi-brothers-vinyl-collection-lp-cd-autograph-record-album-words-music-reason_44528366
True nothing close in signatures.
Though I wonder if one starts out one way-then after signing countless times it totally changes.
I know mine is very different than what it was when I was younger.

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

True nothing close in signatures.
Though I wonder if one starts out one way-then after signing countless times it totally changes.
I know mine is very different than what it was when I was younger.

Like I said, I don't know it it leads anywhere, but they were the only "Billy & Bobby" pair that I could think of with a tangible connection to the Beatles.

Certainly they were active in the New York music scene in the 1960s during the Beatles era... and beyond, having later established some kind of working relationship with both Paul and John. They just weren't recording under the "Alessi" name in that earlier period and weren't well known until their first hit in 1977 (from an album recorded in 1976).

It also strikes me that the names aren't written in an 'autograph' style, but in capital letters more akin to a "KILROY WAS HERE" graffito.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like I said, I don't know it it leads anywhere, but they were the only "Billy & Bobby" pair that I could think of with a tangible connection to the Beatles.

Certainly they were active in the New York music scene in the 1960s during the Beatles era... and beyond, having later established some kind of working relationship with both Paul and John. They just weren't recording under the "Alessi" name in that earlier period and weren't well known until their first hit in 1977 (from an album recorded in 1976).

It also strikes me that the names aren't written in an 'autograph' style, but in capital letters more akin to a "KILROY WAS HERE" graffito.
Can put your name on here, can you sign this, can you autograph this.
If they were just 2 brothers hanging out with others that just thought they were cool, then it's just a name.
I imagine the folks who were invited to hang out, it must of been pretty cool.

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, I’m sure for any ‘hangers-on’.

My wife’s family lived round the corner from the Lennons in a private estate on St George’s Hill, Weybridge in the mid-late 1960s. Unfortunately, her parents were just about into their fifties at the time with no interest in Beatles’ music and my wife was too young to realise she was playing in the garden with the son of someone famous (Julian would have been about five years old at the time, and my wife somewhat older). What a missed opportunity… her family left us no autographs, photographs or anything Beatles-related from that time.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool, I’m sure for any ‘hangers-on’.

My wife’s family lived round the corner from the Lennons in a private estate on St George’s Hill, Weybridge in the mid-late 1960s. Unfortunately, her parents were just about into their fifties at the time with no interest in Beatles’ music and my wife was too young to realise she was playing in the garden with the son of someone famous (Julian would have been about five years old at the time, and my wife somewhat older). What a missed opportunity… her family left us no autographs, photographs or anything Beatles-related from that time.
That's a cool story, thanks for sharing it.

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, signatures don't work. And John and Yoko signed other things found online for sale things as a couple. Why would the rest of the band have wanted Yoko to sign the band's stuff?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, signatures don't work. And John and Yoko signed other things found online for sale things as a couple. Why would the rest of the band have wanted Yoko to sign the band's stuff?
It could possibly be a just that, or the recording studio tech. had it on the player/recorder got a member to sign, then had another artist sign later.
A collection of different folks that were in the studio at different times-or all at the same time.

Listened to a podcast on Yoko and if it wasn't for her getting John to the rehearsals/recordings things wouldn't have happened. ( John was too high to really care if he did or didn't make it to the events).

Upvote 2
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Past the 10 day edit limit so I will add the picture here of the piece of recording equipment that the signatures came off.
The reason is to ID the maker of the unit and date range that it was made.
20211215_154424.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread