Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! 2022 has been off to a slow start for me; the weather in NJ hasn't been great, and I've had to travel more than usual.
WARNING: long post ahead; I have pent up enthusiasm to share.

This weekend I finally got out detecting, and I went 3 days in a row: Friday after work, yesterday for a few hours and then again today for a few hours.

The best find this weekend - by far - was this 1773 King George III halfpenny; I've found 4 or 5 other KG's but none that looked like this. I think it's in great shape (relatively speaking) because of the location where I found it. Yesterday I returned to the old sports field that I talked about in this post: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...t-40-years-in-the-ground.657111/#post-6773900.
I was really only hoping to find a silver that I'd missed on a previous visit, and after about 90 minutes of finding just a few clad coins I was ready to head home defeated. But then my Equinox sniffed out a 24-25 mixed with an iron grunt. I will say that I was using the Coiltek 15" coil in hopes that on this visit I'd find something deeper that had been missed on previous visits. That decision paid off. I got the 24-25 signal to repeat from two directions so I started digging. I actually said - out loud, to no one but the birds - "if this is something good it's being found because of the 15" coil. After digging to about 9" I was shocked to pop the KG3 out of the hole!

I'm now pretty confident that this location was something else long before the school and other buildings on the property were built around 1900. I say this because back in 2022, when I first started detecting this location, I pulled a large copper disk that is in very bad condition from about 20' from where yesterday's KG3 was found. The 2020 coin was completely unrecognizable, but at the time I decided it was probably an early English coin, and I filed it away in my collection book. Now I'm more convinced of what it is.
The site isn't on any maps and is up on top of a rise about 200-300 yards from the main road, so...not an obvious location for a Colonial era site. Anyway...

After finding the KG3 I spiraled out from that spot and dug 2 more iron grunt+20's signals, and they were nails. But I got one more solid signal and it turned out to be a small, thin sterling silver ring ("Sterling" stamped on the inside of the band). With that in my pocket I headed home for the day.

Other interesting finds:
- on Friday I found the 1952 Roosevelt with the bullet hole through it. I hate to see a coin get disfigured, but I have to admit that the bullet hole is kind of cool. Certainly makes the coin unique.
- Today I went detecting with SlateBeltDigger in some woods in my town. We hunted down some old cellar holes in hopes that they would give up some treasures. I did manage to find the Indian Head Cent (I believe it's 1886 based on in-person review with a magnifying glass), but that was just about my only good find. SlateBeltDigger found a reins guide and a large grape-themed copper disk (5-6" across, looks like a decoration or a mold for making something. Last picture below). Mostly we enjoyed the quiet time in the woods.

Thanks for reading all this! I'm glad to be going out in 2022 and getting to post about it again!

- Brian

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

Upvote 11

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Brian getting the 1773 copper.
The shot dime is a cool keeper, I'd welcome it over a regular one anyday.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! 2022 has been off to a slow start for me; the weather in NJ hasn't been great, and I've had to travel more than usual.
WARNING: long post ahead; I have pent up enthusiasm to share.

This weekend I finally got out detecting, and I went 3 days in a row: Friday after work, yesterday for a few hours and then again today for a few hours.

The best find this weekend - by far - was this 1773 King George III halfpenny; I've found 4 or 5 other KG's but none that looked like this. I think it's in great shape (relatively speaking) because of the location where I found it. Yesterday I returned to the old sports field that I talked about in this post: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...t-40-years-in-the-ground.657111/#post-6773900.
I was really only hoping to find a silver that I'd missed on a previous visit, and after about 90 minutes of finding just a few clad coins I was ready to head home defeated. But then my Equinox sniffed out a 24-25 mixed with an iron grunt. I will say that I was using the Coiltek 15" coil in hopes that on this visit I'd find something deeper that had been missed on previous visits. That decision paid off. I got the 24-25 signal to repeat from two directions so I started digging. I actually said - out loud, to no one but the birds - "if this is something good it's being found because of the 15" coil. After digging to about 9" I was shocked to pop the KG3 out of the hole!

I'm now pretty confident that this location was something else long before the school and other buildings on the property were built around 1900. I say this because back in 2022, when I first started detecting this location, I pulled a large copper disk that is in very bad condition from about 20' from where yesterday's KG3 was found. The 2020 coin was completely unrecognizable, but at the time I decided it was probably an early English coin, and I filed it away in my collection book. Now I'm more convinced of what it is.
The site isn't on any maps and is up on top of a rise about 200-300 yards from the main road, so...not an obvious location for a Colonial era site. Anyway...

After finding the KG3 I spiraled out from that spot and dug 2 more iron grunt+20's signals, and they were nails. But I got one more solid signal and it turned out to be a small, thin sterling silver ring ("Sterling" stamped on the inside of the band). With that in my pocket I headed home for the day.

Other interesting finds:
- on Friday I found the 1952 Roosevelt with the bullet hole through it. I hate to see a coin get disfigured, but I have to admit that the bullet hole is kind of cool. Certainly makes the coin unique.
- Today I went detecting with SlateBeltDigger in some woods in my town. We hunted down some old cellar holes in hopes that they would give up some treasures. I did manage to find the Indian Head Cent (I believe it's 1886 based on in-person review with a magnifying glass), but that was just about my only good find. SlateBeltDigger found a reins guide and a large grape-themed copper disk (5-6" across, looks like a decoration or a mold for making something. Last picture below). Mostly we enjoyed the quiet time in the woods.

Thanks for reading all this! I'm glad to be going out in 2022 and getting to post about it again!

- Brian

View attachment 2016676

View attachment 2016677

View attachment 2016678

View attachment 2016679
View attachment 2016680
View attachment 2016681

View attachment 2016682
such great saves all around, well done. Love that silver, especially the dime, too cool. Thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread