Beautiful gold crown ring, a 1930 class ring and silver from the dry swim areas with scout camp goodies as well

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
My favorite state park swimming area is totally dry, but I decided to grid search it anyway hoping for some luck. I normally find a few goodies on this end of season cleanup and was hoping the low water might make the job easier (that is if other non water hunters hadn’t beaten me to the goodies). I spent 5 hours with the ATPro and I found 30 coins with a face value of $1.99, part of a fishing lure, a brass cross, a ring, some earrings, a belly button stud, a selfie stick retainer, earring backs, part of a necklace, a clip, sinkers, a toy train engine, a 2 pound vinyl coated lead diving weight, a few tabs and the ever present aluminum foil.

16A592F3-9E7F-4DAE-996B-D1DAEB450751.jpeg

The ring brought a big smile to my face. I am always hopeful, but realistically a gold ring at this time of year is not the norm so it was a very pleasant surprise. The sand was wet and stuck to everything so when I first scooped it it looked like a blob of gold foil. It is 14k and has a bunch of czs in it, but the 2 red stones are actually spinels. The little earring beside the ring is silver.

46AA1D2B-8745-4E9D-AC2E-B2A1957E8840.jpeg

The water is really low and I found the dive weight in a section of dry lake bed away from the swimming area. About half of the coins and most of the sinkers were not in the swimming area. All of the jewelry was in the swimming area.

61CA9CB0-830C-4B6C-ACEF-F39441A0CD41.jpeg

DAY 2
My weekly trip to the scout camp was productive. In 6 hours with the CZ21 I managed to extract 97 coins with a face value of $8.22, 13 camp tent pegs, a 1957D wheatie, a Canadian penny, the brass part of a knife holder for a scout belt, 5 neckerchief slides, a J leather stamp, the fancy end off something, an old round ball from the original farm, a 4 year pin, a popcorn hat pin, a Cub Scout belt loop, 3 hat pin backs, a brass bead, 3 modern bullets, 2 blank rifle cartridges from the reinactors, a sinker, a neat pinewood derby medal complete with ribbon, a decent pile of tabs and cans and slaw.

A8AACF29-5E59-4510-8DC3-D01547BBE829.jpeg

A670AF45-FC13-4691-9029-77D966E5DB6D.jpeg

The slides are always a fun find. They are an older style general Cub Scout slide, 2 newer style wolf Cub slides, a newer style bear Cub slide and a Webelos slide. 2 of the slides have not been in the ground more than a year or 2 and are ready to use. Normally the Cub Scout slides do not clean up very well which is a shame because I have a pile of them I would love to see some scout get some use out of. The Boy Scout slides I can tumble and spray with a mat black paint and they are good to go so those get reused all the time.

D1A27A43-4E30-4C76-A45D-A6A75E597DCB.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back to my favorite state park to finish the area I started, but they were doing a controlled burn of some of the brush so it was closed. I went around the lake to the park camping beach instead and spent 5 hours with the ATPro gridding part of the dry swimming area and did a little exploring in the rest of the lake bed. Altogether I found 29 coins with a face value of $2.10 (most of the coins again came from the lake bed outside the swimming area), a ring, earrings, earring backs, sequins, a selfie stick retainer, sinkers, a toy truck, a pellet gun pellet, fishing swivels, a few tabs and a few pieces of foil.

36E49381-D51C-446D-819A-3D8A634BA893.jpeg

The ring is a 1930 class ring. One of the earrings is silver and I also found 1 silver earring back. Most of what I dug were small weak tones. The ring was a shock. I had a weak mixed signal. I scooped with the sand scoop (I was using my small sand scoop, not the big one I use in the water) and checked with the detector and scooped and checked and I kept going deeper without getting the target out of the hole. The signal got better, but nothing. Then I got a hair pin out of the hole and checked with the detector and the signal was better, but still weak. When I got down 12 inches I used the Garrett carrot to pinpoint the target still at the center of the hole. 1 scoop with the trowel and out popped the ring. It had been sitting on the top with the small part of the ring up so that was part of why the signal was weak and the hair pin accounted for the mixed signal. Boy an I glad I scoop the iffy signals.

70B8CB58-AAEE-4546-B393-85573195A7DF.jpeg

I had a good class ring year a while back and found 6 in one year, but I have been in a sort of class ring drought. This is the first one I have found in over 2 1/2 years. This is class ring number 28 (I have returned 19). It has initials and a year, but I have no idea what school it is from. The SVA are probably the school initials, but no local schools match that. It is possible that the school name starts with a V and the SA have a different significance. Of course the owner was born in 1912 so they would be 110 years old and I would have to search for relatives to return it to. It is doable if I can find the school. I am doing some internet searching, but if anyone has a clue as to the name of the school it would be a big help.

226240A1-82FB-4018-8C03-AD0ED0378A15.jpeg

3CEF955C-BFBF-40A0-9699-611111E1F8B4.jpeg

CF23A5CB-30E7-4BC2-B14B-DA6D59029506.jpeg

Well the weekend is busy with family obligations like last week, but this time there will be no detecting opportunities. So that’s all for this week. 2 more golds, 3 silvers and as always fun and exercise for the old man in the fresh air. The weather is still very dry, but it has been very pleasant for the end of October and the beginning of November. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

P.S. If you have seen a ring like this and can help identify the school I would greatly appreciate it. Also this is the second oldest class ring I have found. The oldest was a 1918 from a local school.

Upvote 22

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow lots of excellent finds. I have yet to find a class ring although I cannot complain because I have found many other types of rings. Maybe, just maybe the "V" stands for valedictorian? The "SA" could be the school letters/name?
Or possibly the "V" could be the beginning letter of the mascot? :dontknow:

I wouldn't mind helping search for the school but I would need to know what area you found this at to be of any assistance. Not sure how secretive you are about the area. Looking at your profile, I did not see a "Mountain Maryland" on the map. If you care not to disclose........I totally understand.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow lots of excellent finds. I have yet to find a class ring although I cannot complain because I have found many other types of rings. Maybe, just maybe the "V" stands for valedictorian? The "SA" could be the school letters/name?
Or possibly the "V" could be the beginning letter of the mascot? :dontknow:

I wouldn't mind helping search for the school but I would need to know what area you found this at to be of any assistance. Not sure how secretive you are about the area. Looking at your profile, I did not see a "Mountain Maryland" on the map. If you care not to disclose........I totally understand.
Thanks for the reply. All of your ideas have merit, but no clue as to which one is right. For years a company rep came to the school and everyone ordered the same style of ring from the same company. But today you go out and order whatever you like so anything goes. I have found that some of the older ones were similar to today where you went to the jeweler and ordered so variations are a distinct possibility. This may just be one of those I am not able to return because we can’t put all the pieces together.

I do most of my detecting in Garrett, Allegany and Washington county in Maryland (Referred to as Mountain Maryland). But Allegany county is only 4 miles wide at one point so Pennsylvania and West Virginia are close enough to be possibilities as well.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
My favorite state park swimming area is totally dry, but I decided to grid search it anyway hoping for some luck. I normally find a few goodies on this end of season cleanup and was hoping the low water might make the job easier (that is if other non water hunters hadn’t beaten me to the goodies). I spent 5 hours with the ATPro and I found 30 coins with a face value of $1.99, part of a fishing lure, a brass cross, a ring, some earrings, a belly button stud, a selfie stick retainer, earring backs, part of a necklace, a clip, sinkers, a toy train engine, a 2 pound vinyl coated lead diving weight, a few tabs and the ever present aluminum foil.

View attachment 2053821

The ring brought a big smile to my face. I am always hopeful, but realistically a gold ring at this time of year is not the norm so it was a very pleasant surprise. The sand was wet and stuck to everything so when I first scooped it it looked like a blob of gold foil. It is 14k and has a bunch of czs in it, but the 2 red stones are actually spinels. The little earring beside the ring is silver.

View attachment 2053820

The water is really low and I found the dive weight in a section of dry lake bed away from the swimming area. About half of the coins and most of the sinkers were not in the swimming area. All of the jewelry was in the swimming area.

View attachment 2053822

DAY 2
My weekly trip to the scout camp was productive. In 6 hours with the CZ21 I managed to extract 97 coins with a face value of $8.22, 13 camp tent pegs, a 1957D wheatie, a Canadian penny, the brass part of a knife holder for a scout belt, 5 neckerchief slides, a J leather stamp, the fancy end off something, an old round ball from the original farm, a 4 year pin, a popcorn hat pin, a Cub Scout belt loop, 3 hat pin backs, a brass bead, 3 modern bullets, 2 blank rifle cartridges from the reinactors, a sinker, a neat pinewood derby medal complete with ribbon, a decent pile of tabs and cans and slaw.

View attachment 2053823

View attachment 2053824

The slides are always a fun find. They are an older style general Cub Scout slide, 2 newer style wolf Cub slides, a newer style bear Cub slide and a Webelos slide. 2 of the slides have not been in the ground more than a year or 2 and are ready to use. Normally the Cub Scout slides do not clean up very well which is a shame because I have a pile of them I would love to see some scout get some use out of. The Boy Scout slides I can tumble and spray with a mat black paint and they are good to go so those get reused all the time.

View attachment 2053825

DAY 3
I went back to my favorite state park to finish the area I started, but they were doing a controlled burn of some of the brush so it was closed. I went around the lake to the park camping beach instead and spent 5 hours with the ATPro gridding part of the dry swimming area and did a little exploring in the rest of the lake bed. Altogether I found 29 coins with a face value of $2.10 (most of the coins again came from the lake bed outside the swimming area), a ring, earrings, earring backs, sequins, a selfie stick retainer, sinkers, a toy truck, a pellet gun pellet, fishing swivels, a few tabs and a few pieces of foil.

View attachment 2053826

The ring is a 1930 class ring. One of the earrings is silver and I also found 1 silver earring back. Most of what I dug were small weak tones. The ring was a shock. I had a weak mixed signal. I scooped with the sand scoop (I was using my small sand scoop, not the big one I use in the water) and checked with the detector and scooped and checked and I kept going deeper without getting the target out of the hole. The signal got better, but nothing. Then I got a hair pin out of the hole and checked with the detector and the signal was better, but still weak. When I got down 12 inches I used the Garrett carrot to pinpoint the target still at the center of the hole. 1 scoop with the trowel and out popped the ring. It had been sitting on the top with the small part of the ring up so that was part of why the signal was weak and the hair pin accounted for the mixed signal. Boy an I glad I scoop the iffy signals.

View attachment 2053827

I had a good class ring year a while back and found 6 in one year, but I have been in a sort of class ring drought. This is the first one I have found in over 2 1/2 years. This is class ring number 28 (I have returned 19). It has initials and a year, but I have no idea what school it is from. The SVA are probably the school initials, but no local schools match that. It is possible that the school name starts with a V and the SA have a different significance. Of course the owner was born in 1912 so they would be 110 years old and I would have to search for relatives to return it to. It is doable if I can find the school. I am doing some internet searching, but if anyone has a clue as to the name of the school it would be a big help.

View attachment 2053828

View attachment 2053829

View attachment 2053830

Well the weekend is busy with family obligations like last week, but this time there will be no detecting opportunities. So that’s all for this week. 2 more golds, 3 silvers and as always fun and exercise for the old man in the fresh air. The weather is still very dry, but it has been very pleasant for the end of October and the beginning of November. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

P.S. If you have seen a ring like this and can help identify the school I would greatly appreciate it. Also this is the second oldest class ring I have found. The oldest was a 1918 from a local school.
Very Nice Hunt!!! Congrats!!!!!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. All of your ideas have merit, but no clue as to which one is right. For years a company rep came to the school and everyone ordered the same style of ring from the same company. But today you go out and order whatever you like so anything goes. I have found that some of the older ones were similar to today where you went to the jeweler and ordered so variations are a distinct possibility. This may just be one of those I am not able to return because we can’t put all the pieces together.

I do most of my detecting in Garrett, Allegany and Washington county in Maryland (Referred to as Mountain Maryland). But Allegany county is only 4 miles wide at one point so Pennsylvania and West Virginia are close enough to be possibilities as well.

It's a stretch but it could possibly be from Somerset Area Senior High School in Somerset, Pennsylvania. That has the potential for the "S" and "A" letters but I'm not sure what the "V" would be for.

Also, I found one site that has an alumni which goes back to 1925. And the oldest entry is from 1933.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virginia? ("S"omething) Academy?

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virginia? ("S"omething) Academy?
The closest I have come so far is Saint Vincent’s Academy. The V is the key and they talk about the Vincentian tradition. There are several schools with that name in the US. Ring styles change over time so a current ring does me no good. The only way to be sure is if I can find a ring to match this one and get the name of the school it came from.

Thanks for trying. I’m still looking. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds ! Great to have a dried up swimming area to search, especially if it goes back many years. But, one has to wonder who designed & approved of some of these "class" type rings years ago. It's like; " Yes ! This is a great design! We are sure 90 years from now, everyone will know what these letters & symbols mean ! " :dontknow::BangHead:

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! Great to have a dried up swimming area to search, especially if it goes back many years. But, one has to wonder who designed & approved of some of these "class" type rings years ago. It's like; " Yes ! This is a great design! We are sure 90 years from now, everyone will know what these letters & symbols mean ! " :dontknow::BangHead:
Thanks. It is a beautiful design, but you are right. How can they expect anyone to have any idea as to what school this is from when they give so few clues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread