Beautiful Heart Heel Plate NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
My friend and I hit a 1700's cellar hole on a friends property in town. This is the second time we have been there. The first time was a bust. Last week I scouted around a bit and found where they did their gardens and farming across the path from the house. We went back yesterday for a few hours. I hunted what appeared to be a trail where they accessed the field (now all woods). There were the remains of wagon ruts but you really had to look to see them. Anyway I got a fantastic 12gauge shot shell signal and was less than excited to dig it. About 6 inches down came a lovely heart heel plate. I have never found one and only dreamed of beautiful ones they find in Virginia and South. I should have put a quarter next to the photo for size. This one is exactly the diameter of a Morgan silver dollar and only the tips extend beyond it by 1/8". This is a very small one. I wonder if this one was on it's way to the Civil War on the bottom of someone's shoe. Anyways I thought that I would share it with you. I'm a quite pleased with this find 8)

Ed-

Attachments

• Dsc04060.jpg
    Dsc04060.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 790
  • Dsc04062.jpg
    Dsc04062.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 851
Upvote 8

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Ed.
I found one of those too about a year ago. I thought the small size was a bit odd too.
Congrats,
MM

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I have been told (only seen one dug) they were common during the civil war era (dont know if there issue or not) and have been found at CW battle sights.
A very cool find.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Ed, that is an interesting heel plate. For some reason, we don't find artifacts similar to that in our area.

Kyle

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Ed. I found one like it earlier this year too. I didn't know what it was until I posted it and someone helped with the ID. Is yours silver colored on the other side? Mine has alot of the silver color left on it. I assume that was the side that didn't come in contact with the ground.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great find ED :thumbsup:
The first I have seen.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
very cool !! ;D ;D ;D i have 3 1/2 of these... no civil war action here in mass....

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As well you should be Ed.....I would love to put one in the collection.Great Find :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
these were found within 100 miles from boston, at different sites..
my wife got one of them....

Attachments

• heel plates.jpg
    heel plates.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,055

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! Here's one I found back in March:

index.jpg

I've seen the heart shape before--as well as the clover cut-out...but the star was a new one to me...

Since these have been found in CW camps before, some folks associate them a little too strongly with the CW. They were not issued to troops, but rather were a civilian item--even though some obviously went into battle on soldiers' boots.

I love seeing these posted--thank you for putting this one on the forum.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 684

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
Wow BB Ive never seen the Star one B-4

Yeah, I'm gonna nickname that one the "Texas Heel Plate," buddy. :thumbsup:

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, I found and identical heel plate as well. They also had them in the "Ask Mark Parker" Section of last month's W&ET Magazine. Said it could possible be civil war, but there were civilian versions of them as well. Either way they date back to 1800's and it is still a great find.

-Dan

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Great find Ed. I found one like it earlier this year too. I didn't know what it was until I posted it and someone helped with the ID. Is yours silver colored on the other side? Mine has alot of the silver color left on it. I assume that was the side that didn't come in contact with the ground.
Here's what I was talking about when I described the silver color on the back. This one held up pretty well underground.

Attachments

• IMG_1317.JPG
    IMG_1317.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 466

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan32981 said:
Great find, I found and identical heel plate as well. They also had them in the "Ask Mark Parker" Section of last month's W&ET Magazine. Said it could possible be civil war, but there were civilian versions of them as well. Either way they date back to 1800's and it is still a great find.

-Dan
Mark Parker also said they list for about $35 a piece in that same article.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
TEXAN Connection said:
I have been told (only seen one dug) they were common during the civil war era (dont know if there issue or not) and have been found at CW battle sights.
A very cool find.

I found one in a Union Camp here in Virginia, the exact same one with the heart... it could have been lost by a farmer before or after the war but it was right in the middle of the camp??

MonkeyBoy

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Evolution said:
Evolution said:
Here's what I was talking about when I described the silver color on the back. This one held up pretty well underground.

Hmm, I guess they may have been silver plated at one time. Mine has no indication of silver on it. I believe mine is of a brass-like material based on the signal I got. Also, I know that some of them were made of brass. I guess they are a bit more popular in the northern states than we think. I'm guessing mine was civilian. Your's is a nice find congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread