Beautiful Morning For Old Coppers

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning ACOJoe and I worked a spot that has produced old coppers for us in the past. I usually hunt in 12 kHz on the Deus but today I decided to do an 18 kHz “mop up.” Deus Fast, full tones, with 0 discrimination helped recover these two old coppers.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564248646.215938.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564248667.892957.jpg

I know what the coin on the right is, but if anyone could ID the one on the left I would appreciate it.

Mike

Upvote 20

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ask me, the whole site is a trash pit! In all seriousness no, but I bet there could be some great glass finds once we do find the dump site.

I’ll stop hammering you with questions lol. But I’ve found a couple of trash pits that I sifted with some real surprises. One had a 1680s Farthing in it and also 2 17th Century jetons. A ton of late 17th Century Llewelyn Evans pipe stems were also in there. I also found a trash pit with a bunch of 1812 pewter buttons in it. You just never know what could be in those pits. It’s hard work but a ton of fun when you hit a good one

OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ll stop hammering you with questions lol. But I’ve found a couple of trash pits that I sifted with some real surprises. One had a 1680s Farthing in it and also 2 17th Century jetons. A ton of late 17th Century Llewelyn Evans pipe stems were also in there. I also found a trash pit with a bunch of 1812 pewter buttons in it. You just never know what could be in those pits. It’s hard work but a ton of fun when you hit a good one

Nonsense, the pleasure has been mine, I totally appreciate you making my day by identifying that coin! I’m coming up to Maine sometime before the snow flies for a hunt, any suggestions? I’ll be in York.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nonsense, the pleasure has been mine, I totally appreciate you making my day by identifying that coin! I’m coming up to Maine sometime before the snow flies for a hunt, any suggestions? I’ll be in York.

If you send me a pm before you come up I’ll make sure to put you on a nice early site. This has been an enjoyable post for me. Work has been insane so if I can’t hunt I’m happy to look at very early coins and chat about great sites.
Abe

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iThose are really awesome Ill never find those around here.Great job always fun to find old coinsand to hunt with a friend

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds fellow Mass hunter!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the old coppers, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great coins. I'm no expert but if that's a 1600's coin you have done really well! I hope to break the 1700's barrier some day soon!

OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great coins. I'm no expert but if that's a 1600's coin you have done really well! I hope to break the 1700's barrier some day soon!

We've confirmed that the coin is a William and Mary which was minted between 1689 - 1694. I never in my life would have thought that I would score a coin that old in inland Massachusetts. You'll break the 1700's barrier, just keep swinging!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread