Beautiful Morning For Old Coppers

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning ACOJoe and I worked a spot that has produced old coppers for us in the past. I usually hunt in 12 kHz on the Deus but today I decided to do an 18 kHz “mop up.” Deus Fast, full tones, with 0 discrimination helped recover these two old coppers.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564248646.215938.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564248667.892957.jpg

I know what the coin on the right is, but if anyone could ID the one on the left I would appreciate it.

Mike

Upvote 20

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. You tuned it up perfect for those oldies. Congrats on the saves.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Need better close ups of the copper in question as well as both side to id.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old copper saves. Congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you may have a William & Mary my friend. That’s a nice early copper if that’s what it is. I’ll take a better look when I get home.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just looked up the William and Mary copper. I don’t want to jump the gun, but you can totally see the bow in William’s hair. Doesn’t that make this coin pre 1700?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked up the William and Mary copper. I don’t want to jump the gun, but you can totally see the bow in William’s hair. Doesn’t that make this coin pre 1700?

It certainly does. And I can tell you that’s it’s quite a feat to find pre 1700 coins in the states. I have a grand total of 5. So a big congrats to you on a great accomplishment

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So perhaps, I should change the title of the post to “My First Coin From The 1600’s!”

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It may also be a William 3 which would make it 1695-1701. It’s a great find either way....and yes you should be very proud of that being your first 17th Century coin.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd have done the Snoopy dance to find any of those coins. Congrats!

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may also be a William 3 which would make it 1695-1701. It’s a great find either way....and yes you should be very proud of that being your first 17th Century coin.

I'd be happy either way, but in defense of being solidly in the 1600's, the bust that is visible seems offset enough, as in a way, to make room for the bust that is worn away.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Mike, nice leap into the 16s. That spot, one of the best I've ever been to. Keeps surprising with rarities. Steve

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be happy either way, but in defense of being solidly in the 1600's, the bust that is visible seems offset enough, as in a way, to make room for the bust that is worn away.

I don’t disagree with that assessment at all. Congrats on your first 17th Century coin! Have you guys pulled any silver off that site? I’d be taking my time and really digging every little chirp. Any areas you think may be worth sifting?

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds Secondstar! Looks like you've got yourself a late 1600's or early 1700's copper. Either way...not too shabby. Congrats!

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t disagree with that assessment at all. Congrats on your first 17th Century coin! Have you guys pulled any silver off that site? I’d be taking my time and really digging every little chirp. Any areas you think may be worth sifting?

To answer your question, we've found reales and one early silver dime, an 1809 capped bust found be Cheffer. Also, I might add that ACOJoe found a Massachusetts copper as well. I typically run my Deus in 12 kHz because it hits hard on high and mid conductors. I then tend to switch to 18 kHz and as I've said, "mop up." Yes, the site needs to be sifted a bit more. I plan on going back and working in 18 kHz, I'll even bump up to 25 kHz as I've got the X35 coil.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question, we've found reales and one early silver dime, an 1809 capped bust found be Cheffer. Also, I might add that ACOJoe found a Massachusetts copper as well. I typically run my Deus in 12 kHz because it hits hard on high and mid conductors. I then tend to switch to 18 kHz and as I've said, "mop up." Yes, the site needs to be sifted a bit more. I plan on going back and working in 18 kHz, I'll even bump up to 25 kHz as I've got the X35 coil.

Good luck out there. Sounds like a great site. Have you found the trash pits there? These early productive sites are such a rare treat.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck out there. Sounds like a great site. Have you found the trash pits there? These early productive sites are such a rare treat.

If you ask me, the whole site is a trash pit! In all seriousness no, but I bet there could be some great glass finds once we do find the dump site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread