Beautiful multicolored arrowhead

MOrockCollector

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This beautiful rock was found by my wife in stone county missouri, I do believe it is a clovis and one of the best native arrowheads I have ever seen, this point is also one of the most colorful rocks I've ever seen it has red,orange,black,white,greyish bluish, tan and also sparkles at ya from a couple of spots were quartz crystals are formed, light passes through 90% of it. I believe this arrowhead is a one in a lifetime find.
Does anybody know about how much something like this could be worth?
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_075244865.jpg
    IMG_20210626_075244865.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 629
  • IMG_20210626_075448746.jpg
    IMG_20210626_075448746.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 641
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MOrockCollector

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry not real good with this yet but here are the other pics I intended to put on original post.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_075740357.jpg
    IMG_20210626_075740357.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 611
Last edited by a moderator:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off... congrats to her. I would love to hear how and generally where it was found. Im Not an expert on material up there but my guess would be heat treated novaculite. I dont think Clovis heat treated. Now for the next point... it could be Clovis but it just isn't exactly right for Clovis. Could be a later transitional paleo culture that had learned heat treating.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt answer what it is worth because we dont have a definitive type. I would suggest having it papered by Dwain Rodgers out of Temple tx. If it papers Clovis it is worth several thousand dollars. If it papers Plainview it is probably a 600 to 800 dollar point . There are authenticators near you but I wouldnt know which one to recomend other that Rodgers.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's gorgeous. I wouldn't especially bother with a certificate of authenticity. Some , but not all of the folks who do those do if for the bucks. It looks paleo to me. It does have significant value, but that will be one of those things where you have a buyer and seller who agree on a price. Out here, we call them "Beaver Lake" points. My knowledge on varieties is limited, but looks like paleo or transitional paleo to me.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Smokey has it...Beaver Lake. I also think the material is dendritic agate. The little black specks floating in the rock are dendrites. No idea where the source of this stuff is. Usually found out west. Gary

dendritic agate.jpg

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome, it is a nice looking point for sure. How did she find it? If you do get it looked at Gar is correct, Dwain Rodgers is an excellent authentication guy.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has that Folsom/Midland look to it. Real:dontknow: A cross section view would be nice to see how thick it is...

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice.. but it looks modern to me. Thanks

Can you explain more for novices like me what you see in it that makes you believe it's recent? Are a lot of your finds on Money Creek? They don't call it "Money" Creek for nothing. I was out on the South Fork Root the other day, not hunting for anything though, just taking in nature.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I see no reason to get an authentication if you found the relic.

Personal preference at that point, your paying someone to give you an idea on the type at that point.

Since you are in Missouri, take it to a Greater St. Louis Archaeological Society show event.

The June 27 VFW Post 3838 1049 Kingsway St. Cape Girardeau is now over

The next is Aug 13 & 14 Lake Ozark Lions Club, Lake Ozark Fish Haven Rd.

The Major County Expo Center at 808 E Highland FairviewCENTRAL STATES ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]67thTH ANNUAL MEETING is in Collinsville and definitely a good time. Next to Owensboro, my favorite two shows.

Being in the South West area of Missouri you could hit a Oklahoma or Arkansas show event too

[/FONT]Oct 1-2 Major County Expo Center at 808 E Highland Fairview Oklahoma

See these and other shows at Central States Archaeological Societies current show events

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no reason to get an authentication if you found the relic.

Personal preference at that point, your paying someone to give you an idea on the type at that point.

Since you are in Missouri, take it to a Greater St. Louis Archaeological Society show event.

The June 27 VFW Post 3838 1049 Kingsway St. Cape Girardeau is now over

The next is Aug 13 & 14 Lake Ozark Lions Club, Lake Ozark Fish Haven Rd.

The Major County Expo Center at 808 E Highland FairviewCENTRAL STATES ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]67thTH ANNUAL MEETING is in Collinsville and definitely a good time. Next to Owensboro, my favorite two shows.

Being in the South West area of Missouri you could hit a Oklahoma or Arkansas show event too

[/FONT]Oct 1-2 Major County Expo Center at 808 E Highland Fairview Oklahoma

See these and other shows at Central States Archaeological Societies current show events

My advice to get it authenticated related to the origional question of what it was worth. Thats the way the artifact was presented. Without authentication, its not worth much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread