Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got this ring a couple of weeks ago. The stamp 16K00 intrigued me so I had a jeweler sandblast, clean, and polish it. I am thrilled with the outcome.

Still curious about the gold content. The copper or rosy hue is interesting. The VDI was higher than most gold I've swung over, and almost thought it was a junker with the tarnish coming out of the ground. The jeweler is convinced that it is less than 16K.

Anyway, wanted to show you the outcome. My 83 year old mother will get it for her birthday! Thanks for any input on the odd stamp. HH

Attachments

• IMG_1292[1].JPG
    IMG_1292[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1247[1].JPG
    IMG_1247[1].JPG
    875.9 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1249[1].JPG
    IMG_1249[1].JPG
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 16

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this ring a couple of weeks ago. The stamp 16K00 intrigued me so I had a jeweler sandblast, clean, and polish it. I am thrilled with the outcome.

Still curious about the gold content. The copper or rosy hue is interesting. The VDI was higher than most gold I've swung over, and almost thought it was a junker with the tarnish coming out of the ground. The jeweler is convinced that it is less than 16K.

Anyway, wanted to show you the outcome. My 83 year old mother will get it for her birthday! Thanks for any input on the odd stamp. HH
Very Nice!!! Turned Out Great!!! Congrats!!!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jeweler didnt have a gold tester? I would buy a gold test kit and check out the content yourself. Kits aren’t expensive and handy to have.

OP
OP
Hunk-a-lead

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The jeweler didnt have a gold tester? I would buy a gold test kit and check out the content yourself. Kits aren’t expensive and handy to have.
yes, he did test it when I first brought it in, that's why he said it was less than 16K. After it cleaned up so nicely, I asked him again and he said he'd have to charge me. I was a little miffed so I didn't take him up on it. Probably time to get a kit (and a scale). Thanks

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I hope it's solid, but it doesn't look promising. I've seen rings where the inside gold plating was protected, which is why is looks so nice inside. For gold, especially in regular ground conditions, the outside shouldn't look so corroded.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That ring turned out to be quite nice. I’m sure your mother will cherish it. Congratulations!

OP
OP
Hunk-a-lead

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did the jeweler charge you to restore the ring?
yes, $48 to sandblast, clean and polish. That's why I was a little put out that he wanted more for testing it. His assistant said another $50 for an appraisal and I said, "no thanks"

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandblast? Yikes! I've never had to do that with gold. Next time, you may want to soak it in something to remove the crust, and get a Dremel tool with some buffing compound to polish it with.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Rose gold has a lot of copper in it and can look like the uncleaned pics. I don't think the pics do it justice.
Good find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread