beginner detecting

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what type detecting you are going to be doing. Parks and schools (if not fenced off) will give you a few bucks an outing(gas money) with an occasional silver ring.......relic hunting will get you old bits of stuff that we detectorists never part with unless we are not too sentimental.....beaches and swimming holes will get you more gold, diamonds, and costume jewelry but if yo are married you only get to keep the cheap stuff.....so no you won't get rich doing this but you are going to have fun trying. Some guys do very well though, so it is very possible to pay for your equipment and then some, if that is what your aim is. Just gotta get out there and give it a go.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI guys, I hate to ask this as I feel I am not asking in the detecting lingo so to speak
Can detecting as a hobby on weekends pay for itself within equipment within findings? Please re-direct me if in wrong forum
I don,t have any problem with anyone detecting as a living.There,s many ways one can go about it,finds of course,and hiring out as a finder of lost items and the like.Just for me I,d rather it just be a hobby with the potential to put a little jack in your pocket.otherwise you tend to fall in the category where,I,ve gotta make some finds today or go broke!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first year with a new detector I was able to find enough in change and jewelry to pay myself back for the detector and digging tool and pinpointer, so it can pay for itself. But as far as being an income you can depend on, I don't think so. So I wouldn't go into the hobby as a business because you would have to travel because you would run out of spots around you and fuel +food and lodging would eat up any profit you tried to make. So go into the hobby as just that a hobby and any profit you make is a bonus.

OP
OP
M

Mitchmann

Apr 4, 2022
Thanks guys! I hear ya' LOL! family comes first! also. Not a daily grind where I need to swing. Just wondering if I put in the effort can I gain some gain so to speak? Colorado hunting. Also,Thank you for the welcome!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dedicate your self I do not think you would have a problem recovering your initial output . Welcome to treasurenet

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I hear ya' LOL! family comes first! also. Not a daily grind where I need to swing. Just wondering if I put in the effort can I gain some gain so to speak? Colorado hunting. Also,Thank you for the welcome!
I think you can, You just have to do some research if looking for relics or hit the parks for some change and jewelry, there is a forum on here for each State, you might check out Colorado to look and see what is being found in your area.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,t neglect back-of-the-boat,s suggestion to look at the Colorado thread at the bottom of the forums page.Much information to be found there.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet - this is a great place to learn about the hobby.

There's a lot of different ways you can enjoy this hobby.
Many of us are into the historical side of what we find, rather than making profit.

A lot of people also like to hunt for items of value.
Depending on where you live - some of the best ways to make money in this hobby is to beach and water hunt for gold and silver jewelry or you can hunt for gold nuggets. If you get lucky ... one nice gold ring can easily pay for all your detecting equipment !

Good Luck !

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks! where might that be? in forums? or elsewhere?
Click on that and it will bring to the Today's Finds section
On the header click on FORUMS and that will show all the different subcategories on TreasureNet

A warm welcome from Eastern Ontario :hello:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlike most other hobbies this one can support it's self , but that's all it will support for most of us. do it to relax and unwind , do it for exercise ,do it for fun . But don't do it for money .

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't get into his hobby to make a living. Think of this as a way to relax and enjoy the outdoors especially if you're in Colorado. your ratios of trash to finds will Overwhelm you at times and a lot of people do not stay long in this hobby for long because of it

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been detecting since 1975 age 12 - on the low end ive found over $150,000. worth of stuff
most of that is from gold and silver jewelry
i sold bulk of my gold when it was around $900 an ounce
had i been able to wait ...could have double it
i do have a few relics that are worth a few bucks - some rare buttons
and other items that are 100 - over 200 yrs old
ive done alright - couldve done better if i knew what i knew now
but was in it for the hobby - not profit
i still have a lot of stuff - wish i had it all to show still
i live in Ma. - here is partial finds from going to florida over the yrs
lot of valuable stuff to be found down there - if i lived down there ...cant imagine
how much more i would have - 5x maybe 10 times what i got in silver and gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions