Bells, Whistles, or Guts ....

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The deepest detecting detector I own is not the one with all the fancy color displays, or the multi-tone ID, or even the one with a mode for detecting pocket lint.
No ... the deepest detecting detector in my arsenal is not the most expensive money can buy.

It is the humble Tesoro Tejon.
Proven time and time again in the civil war areas by relic hunters and verified by my own test garden the Tejon will detect deeper than anything I have owned.
The target is a square pull tab buried years ago at 9" deep.
About the same conductivity as a gold ring.

The Tesoro Tejon I got last week with the stock coil will hit that tab strongly in discriminate and even better in all metal mode. Some may think otherwise ... but it is a fair test ... same target ... same soil ... same depth ... same weather conditions ... only the detectors are different ... and many very expensive detectors will fail to even see that tab.
Not even the E-Trac with a 12" Sun Ray coil will make a peep when passed over it.
To be fair neither will the V3 in boost mode.

I like the E-Track and the V3 because of all the modes and features they have available.
But for pure guts ... nothing has proven as sensitive and as deep (on this test target) as the Tesoro Tejon.

I challenge anyone within driving distance to bring their detector over here and find that tab.
I will make a standing wager of $20 your detector can not detect that pull tab and the Tejon will.
All I ask is you use the stock coil on your detector.

Willee

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Keep us posted on any takers to this showdown! The Tejon is an underated beast :icon_thumright:

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
It goes to show just because it costs the most it does not guarantee success.
And there is no perfect detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not think of taking that sucker bet. The more I use my Tejon the less I want to use the DFX for anything but driving in nails on the roof. I just have no use for screens is all.

firebird21

Dec 28, 2008
You're right - the Tejon is a deep detector. However, considerable testing and comparing has shown that the Discovery Electronics (made in Oregon) detectors, such as Cobra II, Viper, Cointrax, Treasure Baron and the Treasure Baron with Deep Hunter module at least equals the depth of the Tejon on midrange and low conductive items in mild soil. The Barons are a little deeper on copper / silver items. Also the Tejon is not quite as efficient or deep if the ground is highly mineralized. The testing was done with the standard 8 inch coils.
Also the Lobo Super Traq is not quite as deep as the Barons or the Tejon.
Still the Tejon is a nice unit with many good recoveries.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
If you were to bring that Tejon to my part of the world it would not detect a nickle at 5", I know because I tried it. I even took it back to Tesoro for retuning and it still would not. however my Vaquero may be the deepest detector I own.

Monkeywrangler2

Feb 12, 2010
If I ever get over to CC, I will take you up on that test! I think either the Deleon, or more likely the Cibola will ping that tab. :thumbsup:

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Willee,

Question...when you used the V3, did you use the 22kHZ single frequency when testing ? I would think that would the closest to the Tejon in terms of frequency.

I agree about the Baron's...I have a Cointrax II and on low conductors, the thing hits hard both in all metal and discriminate mode.

JC

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Is it true that the Vaquero is quite deep as the Tejon??

resurector

Mar 11, 2005
Hills near Eureka,Ca
Tesoro the quite tuff dependable fighter with a great chin...Analogy,,cars..everyone brags that their giant expensive gadget laden car that brews expresso,parks itself,an talks is THEE one to own..Thats great if you wanna gee-whiz sum splittail.but if you look at a nascar it taint nuthin but down to bussiness...Personnaly i think its not the machine but the person behind it!Different take ..look at deer hunting,which closely resembles our sport, research a site,try to "read" the site,be patient,BE THE DEER or to find lost treasure, you have to be where treasure IS. You can have a machine that detects a 3cent silver on edge ina box of nails at 25ft...digs it for you..cleans its as the "what date is it" mode goes...slabs and markets it for you thru its internet display.,,,,.does that mean you turn it on an the gadgets pulls you to treasure?..I bet i can kill a blacktail with my old wornout .22 than 90% of you fellas with a $10,000 rifle ona 4wheeler with the Gander Mountian complete line in his pocket.why? had the gun 35yrs..i know it well,butcha gotta know the deer better .. What i'm ringin out here people,, is you have to place that 10" or so of coil over treasure to find it. Jus cuz you drive a million$ Lamborgini, does that really make you think you can go around the track faster than Jeff Gordon..??..snap! he cud out drive most ina school bus..Advise..dont fall fer all the spin that the brand an gadgets find treasure..YOU an YOU alone finds it.. Now, dont get me wrong, ther are small differences in machine at this point..bells n whistles when the machine RECOVERS it.. but you still had to get it there..that in itself aint easy,,Soros are easy on you,, yer budget, yer arm, easy to learn an even easier to develop a close,almost instinctive relationship..like a simple man that learns...Learn yer machine..learn it well,then ferget machines fer a while an concentrate on lookin at yer site..You are more important than the stick in yer hand, cuz thats all it is untill you find treasure.. Tesoros let you keep yer head up, not always lookin down at displays,programs an fancy LCDs..i walk an old site an go back in time which is sumtimes hard to do..but mostly with the thot that I AM the pioneer who lost his gold piece..except i have a thing that beeps when I get it over the goods..i like to tell my machine whats down there, not the other way roun..Me an my BanditoMM2 usually dont have time to wish fer gee-whiz..too busy on my knees diggin..A true THer cud find a lost coin with a broom,cuz hes upgraded his techniques an research,not by takin the easy way out and sayin"its my machine"...i once hunted an old cabin allday an after my 6th silver i noticed my machine didnt even have batteries in it...lol...if yer not findin treasure its yer fault!! not sum beepin stick that sumhow convinced you that it finds treasure..not you..Dont be a victim of yer own stick..yull go blind mama said..well enough crazy talk

OP
OP
Willee

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
therover said:
Willee,

Question...when you used the V3, did you use the 22kHZ single frequency when testing ? I would think that would the closest to the Tejon in terms of frequency.

I agree about the Baron's...I have a Cointrax II and on low conductors, the thing hits hard both in all metal and discriminate mode.

JC

Yes, I have tried the V3 every which way I can and it will just not detect that tab.
If I am doing something wrong I wish I knew what it was cause I really expected a $1500 detector to detect at least as deep as a Tejon.

OP
OP
Willee

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
resurector said:
Different take ..look at deer hunting,which closely resembles our sport, research a site,try to "read" the site,be patient,BE THE DEER or to find lost treasure, you have to be where treasure IS. What i'm ringin out here people,, is you have to place that 10" or so of coil over treasure to find it.

Well ... the Pull tab IS there at 9" deep.
Aint no wishful thinking that it might or might not be there ... it is!

Now the real question is what detectors are good enough to detect it?
No smoke, No mirrors, no shams or tricks.
Either the detector will detect it or it will not.

What is the point ... well the point is to see what detector can detect it and what detector can not.
What that means is up to you ... but it seems very clear to me.

Willee

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
Tesoro detectors are sheep in wolves clothing :notworthy: , just ask Mr Bandido Umax , It keeps finding the deep stuff that my other detectors never found .. It detects up to 8 inches on my test bed without chirping , the quarter at 9 inches gives a choppy iron like tone but does detect it ;D .. The Tejon is my next purchase , no need for LCD displays or ID numbers , i just set the disc. level i want and start swinging.. The question is how do they do this on only one little 9 volt battery??? :dontknow:

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Willee i would love to drive by and try a few machines on that target
Not for pink slips , just for the experance of it
Its not a trick but the perfect setting for the Tejon/ and the pull tab.
Now if you take a pull tab to a salt beach i would bet on your E trac.

This is why you hear the [ Hunted Out ]phrase
A different machine , coil, some rain or not and eveything changes.

HH Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This time i have to go with ...Willee... He is in the real world not a dream world like most are........

Attachments

• thumbnailCADKG5MN.jpg
    thumbnailCADKG5MN.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 734
  • thumbnailCADKG5MN.jpg
    thumbnailCADKG5MN.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 704

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wished for a few minutes i lived by you and still had a 1270 fisher and i gaurantee i'd hit it and walk away with your $20.00!

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Tejon is no way deepest, its deeper then cibola and cortes a bit, but sound is not very clear for deep trgets--tested buy my self, but maybe you was checking signal on the boosted sensitivity in max red zone? how you will detect in this settings? or you will check just this target and say its deepest? tesoro detectors have own point but this detectors should cost at max 250-300$. I see clouds over tesoro company they should think what they will want to do, because clock is tik tak, tik tak and tesoro still in the 80s. If I had posibility to work in Tesoro and had some funding in half a year you would see better detector like now tesoso make. But friends dont take me bad its just my opinion about metal screw for coil ??? . good luck Stasys

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another doomsayer.

I disagree with your comments on pretty much everything. I have a Tejon and a Cortes. The Tejon is much deeper. I can't comment on the Cibola.

If you want to start talking about detector pricing, why should anyone pay $1000 and more for a detector, when you can get a powerful laptop for 1/2 the price? Detectors are some of the simplest electronic instruments you can own. Laptops are not. Ever open up a digital camera and see what's inside? There's no way that should only be worth $150 if detectors are worth $1000+.

You may see clouds over Tesoro, but that's only because you don't have a clue as to what they are doing with R&D. You are making an assumption that just because you don't see a new machine, they must be struggling. You don't know that, nor does anyone outside those walls.

As for you developing better detectors in 6 months, that's just comical. Of course, if you are an electrical engineer with experience in this field, then I apologize.

No offense, but if you dislike Tesoro so much, why not stick to your Minelab instead of trashing a great company?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread