pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has been a long time since I have had time to get out that I actually got something to post.
So had to get some chickens processed and being a nice weather day.

So 6 hrs to fill- knocked on a door, asked who owned the field, got directions.
Asked, new permission of 600 acres, possibly a friend who has 2800 acres.
Thank you very much sir.
Not bad timing drive to site, 2 door knocks, ask for permission, back to site, digging into the dirt 30 minutes.

Not a huge day for finds, but an ok hunt for off the cuff.
The soils were softly frozen? Any northerner will know what this like, a few inches of thawed ground, then a frozen layer of 4" that took a good jump down on the shovel petals to break through.

Even though the old maps indicated that this was a post office, it was more barn find related.
Axes, hinges, broken horse shoes, farm related.
Yet there was house items as well.
Flat iron, maybe a weight off a platform scale.
Haven't cleaned up the larger iron.
(Bad habit of not getting around to cleaning iron)

4 bells within a 1.5 hrs, and few other finds like toe taps.
Managed to eyeball a sweet black glass button.
Got a thick cuff button.
Little gold washed stamped brass piece.
Usual little horse tack.

Even though it was in the upper 40s the weekend winds were still a ripping.
So it was insulated coveralls (my door knocking Sunday best 🤣-I don't put on airs-well I just don't care) Then a thick rain slicker top over the jacket to cut that wind, hand warmers even.
Hard to hear at times with the noise because of gale winds.

When I was just leaving a man told me his 64ys of living next to the field.
Seems like there was 3 homesteads on the one end, one further down from where I was.
Justification for another hunt.😁
Enough jabber, here's the pictures.

I have no idea what the coin is, crappy photo reasons I can't find where I put it in the last day or so.
So if someone sees what it could be let me know.
Thanks for looking.
20211215_115325.jpg
20211215_115257.jpg
20211215_102827.jpg
20211215_102742.jpg
20211215_100317.jpg
20211215_100243.jpg
20211215_100248.jpg
20211213_203740.jpg
20211213_145655.jpg
20211213_133132.jpg
20211213_101239.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good bunch of finds, better than anything my Deus has brought me lately. Always love the little bells won't find those in California though unfortunately for me.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to see it all together in one post. Luv, luv, luv the bells! Looks like you had a fun day while waiting for the chicken processing. I do hope you get a new pair of coveralls for Christmas. At least a roll of duct tape. 😂

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds.

The ‘coin’ appears to be of a well-known type, for which there are many variants, as contemporary (or later) copies of gold coins of Isabella II of Spain in various base metals. They’re usually high zinc brass, and sometimes plated to look like gold. You can just make out the legend REINA DE LAS ESPANAS on the reverse with the draped shield.. Usually they’re copies of ’10 Escudos’, like the one below (the size will tell you if it’s intended to be another denomination).

Isabella.jpg

Some sources describe them as parlour tokens (for use in card games and such), some call them jettons or counters, and some say they’re contemporary counterfeits intended to pass as the real thing. Perhaps all of the above may be the case, but the weight is usually way below what a gold piece would be and they wouldn’t have readily deceived anyone with their wits about them.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a long time since I have had time to get out that I actually got something to post.
So had to get some chickens processed and being a nice weather day.

So 6 hrs to fill- knocked on a door, asked who owned the field, got directions.
Asked, new permission of 600 acres, possibly a friend who has 2800 acres.
Thank you very much sir.
Not bad timing drive to site, 2 door knocks, ask for permission, back to site, digging into the dirt 30 minutes.

Not a huge day for finds, but an ok hunt for off the cuff.
The soils were softly frozen? Any northerner will know what this like, a few inches of thawed ground, then a frozen layer of 4" that took a good jump down on the shovel petals to break through.

Even though the old maps indicated that this was a post office, it was more barn find related.
Axes, hinges, broken horse shoes, farm related.
Yet there was house items as well.
Flat iron, maybe a weight off a platform scale.
Haven't cleaned up the larger iron.
(Bad habit of not getting around to cleaning iron)

4 bells within a 1.5 hrs, and few other finds like toe taps.
Managed to eyeball a sweet black glass button.
Got a thick cuff button.
Little gold washed stamped brass piece.
Usual little horse tack.

Even though it was in the upper 40s the weekend winds were still a ripping.
So it was insulated coveralls (my door knocking Sunday best 🤣-I don't put on airs-well I just don't care) Then a thick rain slicker top over the jacket to cut that wind, hand warmers even.
Hard to hear at times with the noise because of gale winds.

When I was just leaving a man told me his 64ys of living next to the field.
Seems like there was 3 homesteads on the one end, one further down from where I was.
Justification for another hunt.😁
Enough jabber, here's the pictures.

I have no idea what the coin is, crappy photo reasons I can't find where I put it in the last day or so.
So if someone sees what it could be let me know.
Thanks for looking.
View attachment 1996683 View attachment 1996684 View attachment 1996685 View attachment 1996686 View attachment 1996687 View attachment 1996688 View attachment 1996689 View attachment 1996690 View attachment 1996691 View attachment 1996692 View attachment 1996693
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good bunch of finds, better than anything my Deus has brought me lately. Always love the little bells won't find those in California though unfortunately for me.
Thanks John
I wonder why there are no bells in California, it's old enough.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pepperj
Congratulations on your nice recoveries and best of luck hunting on your new parcels of land
Thanks Bill
Oh It will be awhile till I return to the site probably-time/gas $/1.5 hr to get there-but one never knows when that cray urge comes upon us.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice to see it all together in one post. Luv, luv, luv the bells! Looks like you had a fun day while waiting for the chicken processing. I do hope you get a new pair of coveralls for Christmas. At least a roll of duct tape. 😂
Thanks WD
I hope you'll get a bell sooner than later on one of your hunts.
Now there's an idea-duck tape-actually it would be match the taped up knuckle that I'm protecting right now. :laughing7:

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good finds.

The ‘coin’ appears to be of a well-known type, for which there are many variants, as contemporary (or later) copies of gold coins of Isabella II of Spain in various base metals. They’re usually high zinc brass, and sometimes plated to look like gold. You can just make out the legend REINA DE LAS ESPANAS on the reverse with the draped shield.. Usually they’re copies of ’10 Escudos’, like the one below (the size will tell you if it’s intended to be another denomination).

View attachment 1996697

Some sources describe them as parlour tokens (for use in card games and such), some call them jettons or counters, and some say they’re contemporary counterfeits intended to pass as the real thing. Perhaps all of the above may be the case, but the weight is usually way below what a gold piece would be and they wouldn’t have readily deceived anyone with their wits about them.
Thank you so much for the ID Red Coat.
It would have been a heart stopper if there had been a gold wash left on the coin.
A first, that makes it kind of a cool recovery.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great digs Pep... meant to tell ya earlier when you posted pics in The Random Chat Thread.

Well done.
Thanks ARC
At least I made an actual post up this time.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks cold out there Pepp! You must have had to blast things out with dynamite? Nice buckles!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks cold out there Pepp! You must have had to blast things out with dynamite? Nice buckles!
:hello:Scrappy
Thanks
Hope all is well in your world
It's nearly the end of the season and year.
Went out for a few hours the other day.
Still soft under the ice and snow.
Any excuse to play 🤣👍
20211228_102936.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread