Belt buckles. Where do they come from?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general we all wonder how a particular object gets lost. Most rings are lost because they have slipped off the finger. Buttons are lost because they have popped off the item for various reasons and coins are lost by falling out of pockets, or being dropped. But Buckles? Particularly belt buckles. How does one loose a belt buckle? For some reason I have found more belt buckles over the years than I have jewelry. Does one take off the belt and forget to put it back on? Why would one do that? A quick romp in the hay and hasty recovery might explain it. But what about the others? If my belt buckle ever fell off my waist I would know it immediately. Any ideas on whats going on?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Leather could fail at attachment point on human belt or animal harness and be discarded along with buckle. Same with worn out shoes.
Carrying junk in pockets ( and pockets were not always popular) on horseback could chafe!

An uncle used to flip homes long ago...
Often due to transportation logistics people took their few cloths and some heirlooms , and left everything else.
One remembered house had a mint set of fine china and most of it's plates were stacked next to an easychair. Used once each(?) And left unwashed and unwanted.

Squirreling junk or recyclables gained in popularity during/ after the great depression. Not uncommon with some folks from other countries cultures when shortages inspired keeping anything of possible value.
Still ,our consumable / disposable culture has roots.....

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leather could fail at attachment point on human belt or animal harness and be discarded along with buckle. Same with worn out shoes.
Carrying junk in pockets ( and pockets were not always popular) on horseback could chafe!

Squirreling junk or recyclables gained in popularity during/ after the great depression. Not uncommon with some folks from other countries cultures when shortages inspired keeping anything of possible value.
Still ,our consumable / disposable culture has roots.....

Makes sense...so basically, most of the buckles we are finding today may have been discarded rather than lost. Litter when littering was legal?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread