Benedict Arnolds lost gold

mpw08200

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2022
I have been researching Benedict Arnolds lost gold on his way to Quebec in 1775. I've found the maps, read the accounts of a couple journals, and even his letters to George Washington. I can't seem to find anywhere where he, or anyone for that matter confirms losing a chest full of gold on the Dead river. I think that would be the talk of the troops would it not? From the 2 journals I've been able to find there's no mention of it. Does anyone have a source confirming that he indeed lost a chest of gold on the dead river? Was he ever punished for it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mpw08200

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2022

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And why in the world would he be hauling a chest of gold to go into battle? Me thinks little gold was to be had period.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why did he become a traitor? Started out as a hero.
He married the daughter of a loyalist after his first wife died and had to give a large dowery, which left him short on funds, Arnold developed bitter frustrations at feeling overlooked for promotion and underappreciated as well as his desperate desire for prosperity is what caused him to turn.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He married the daughter of a loyalist after his first wife died and had to give a large dowery, which left him short on funds, Arnold developed bitter frustrations at feeling overlooked for promotion and underappreciated as well as his desperate desire for prosperity is what caused him to turn.
Thanks for the reply and history lesson.

OP
OP
M

mpw08200

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2022
Ya from what I’ve been able to see he was sour about not being promoted. After he turned and subsequently the war he was only paid a small amount by the British.

I was able to find an article about the money brought. Allegedly it was paper money notes brought to pay his men.

I would imagine though going that far north the only way to pay for goods and services would be gold. However, the crux of this is that I can’t find anything confirming he brought a chest of gold to pay for said services.

OP
OP
M

mpw08200

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2022
Well,he was a traitor so maybe not the most honest guy out there!
That’s also my point, is that if he did bring a chest full of coins why wouldn’t he cache it for later? I just can’t find anything confirming he brought that a chest of coins

He was narcissistic and probably sociopathic. Just surprised in the journals I read no one mentioned losing a chest of gold. The boys would sure mention it.

I also believe if he dropped that kind of money he would’ve sacrificed every last man to find it. The fact he didn’t makes me think it was already hidden, or just didn’t exist.

One fascinating thing is one of the men shot and killed an officer, why? It’s documented but a reason isn’t given.

Speculation, he found out the money wasn’t for the men and decided to do his own thing out of spite.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair to Arnold,before he turned he was a genuine documented hero.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s also my point, is that if he did bring a chest full of coins why wouldn’t he cache it for later? I just can’t find anything confirming he brought that a chest of coins

He was narcissistic and probably sociopathic. Just surprised in the journals I read no one mentioned losing a chest of gold. The boys would sure mention it.

I also believe if he dropped that kind of money he would’ve sacrificed every last man to find it. The fact he didn’t makes me think it was already hidden, or just didn’t exist.

One fascinating thing is one of the men shot and killed an officer, why? It’s documented but a reason isn’t given.

Speculation, he found out the money wasn’t for the men and decided to do his own thing out of spite.
You have yout history all messed up. Arnold was a hero in Canada and again at Saratoga, he did not turn against the colonials unti way after those events. He was charged with profiteering while governing PA and that and his disappointment at not getting another field commission made him turn against the army. No way would he have stolen anything on his trip to Canada, he was a true patriot at that point. Most treasure tales are just tales, many written just to support treasure magazines.

OP
OP
M

mpw08200

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2022
You have yout history all messed up. Arnold was a hero in Canada and again at Saratoga, he did not turn against the colonials unti way after those events. He was charged with profiteering while governing PA and that and his disappointment at not getting another field commission made him turn against the army. No way would he have stolen anything on his trip to Canada, he was a true patriot at that point. Most treasure tales are just tales, many written just to support treasure magazines.

You make a good point about him becoming a traitor later and was loyal. But can one really say he was loyal? He seemed very self serving.

I’m simply trying to find proof whether or not he took a chest of gold with him to Quebec. I mean it’s in the congressional library as an item but no info on it.

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And why in the world would he be hauling a chest of gold to go into battle? Me thinks little gold was to be had period.
The quartermasters often carried chest of gold coin to pay the troops their monthly salaries. I believe that I read somewhere that a British soldier was paid a gold Guinee or some other denomination a month !

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make a good point about him becoming a traitor later and was loyal. But can one really say he was loyal? He seemed very self serving.

I’m simply trying to find proof whether
The quartermasters often carried chest of gold coin to pay the troops their monthly salaries. I believe that I read somewhere that a British soldier was paid a gold Guinee or some other denomination a month !
I do not believe they would carry a chest of gold into battle. Sorry but makes no sense but then I don't know everything. Maybe they did. I would not.

Lane37

Aug 11, 2022
I have been researching Benedict Arnolds lost gold on his way to Quebec in 1775. I've found the maps, read the accounts of a couple journals, and even his letters to George Washington. I can't seem to find anywhere where he, or anyone for that matter confirms losing a chest full of gold on the Dead river. I think that would be the talk of the troops would it not? From the 2 journals I've been able to find there's no mention of it. Does anyone have a source confirming that he indeed lost a chest of gold on the dead river? Was he ever punished for it?
As far as I can tell, I firmly believe in this, me and my brother have been researching it and came to the conclusion that it is possible, and there isn't any harm in looking. About your map, do you have an original?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I can tell, I firmly believe in this, me and my brother have been researching it and came to the conclusion that it is possible, and there isn't any harm in looking. About your map, do you have an original?
It,s certainly possible,there,s certainly no harm in looking either.I wish you luck,post your finds and I,ll eat that crow!

OP
OP
M

mpw08200

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2022
I have the one from Wikipedia if that’s the original you’re referring to?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread