Benjamin Franklin's POSTRIDERS TOMBAC BUTTON!

jt101319

May 8, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210818_105141.jpg 20210818_095128.jpg 20210825_115110.jpg

As an Ornamental Tomback Button of the mid 18th century, this one, WINS THE PRIZE !! And to see such handcrafted detailing in the engraving is awesome to say the least !

OK.. ok.. here's the best part I have YET to tell you.

Did you know that Benjiman Franklin was Post Master General as early as 1775 ? Which of course; perfectly fits in the historical context of this Tomback Button ?

Well..?

You have heard of the " Pony Express " right ? But this was during the 1830's up-to the late 1880's I believe. But- when Benjamin Franklin was PM General, these men were NOT known as The Pony Express.

Listen- in Franklin's time; they were known " Post Riders ! " Look on the gentlemen's lap, and you will see a partial display of the Post Riders Bag.

Now- given that Benjamin Franklin was Post Master General, consider just how fast he was known to generate the required funds, to have such buttons made..? Any Post Rider- would have taken such a dangerous job, WITH-OUT Fear or Consequence, knowing that he would be So PROUD TO WEAR THOSE SHINING TOMBACK BUTTONS !!!

As " connected " as Franklin was through-out the entire city, I already know, that having a few hundred buttons made, just specifically for such a dignified and important job as a Post Rider, would not have been a challenge for him.

One has to understand here- just How DANGEROUS this job REALLY WAS too !!!

And they travelled Day and Night. A healthy horse; could run at full sprint for about 4 to 6 miles at the most !! Any more than that- and you would kill the horse in the attempt. So- they might sprint at intervals of say 2 to 3 miles, and go on an easy " trot " for another 4 to 6 miles.

At this point in time; the Post Rider will intentionally make a necessary stop, at a well established " Ordinary. " ( Also known at the time as a Tavern ) The Stable Boy- would prepare another fresh horse, under the authoritative power of the Post Master General, a Fresh Horse would be provided.

Upvote 32

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing button. I have a lot of tombacs engraved with geometric patterns, and even one with a sheath of wheat or corn. But I have never seen one with a rider like that. I think it might represent a dragoon rather than a postal worker.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the best items I’ve seen posted
The story makes sense !
Great information thank you the button is an exciting find
Thanks

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never seen a button like yours....what an amazing find. Your theory behind the button was also fun to read. I'd love to hear some others chime in with supporting data. If so...I's vote BANNER. What a unique piece of Americana.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I have never seen a button like yours....what an amazing find. Your theory behind the button was also fun to read. I'd love to hear some others chime in with supporting data. If so...I's vote BANNER. What a unique piece of Americana.

He never said he found it. Details on the "find" appreciated.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing button. I have a lot of tombacs engraved with geometric patterns, and even one with a sheath of wheat or corn. But I have never seen one with a rider like that. I think it might represent a dragoon rather than a postal worker.
Agreed. A Very Rare type of Tombac. Seen & found types with animals & flowers, plus hunting scenes.
The OP has jumped to some pretty big conclusions & I don't believe it has anything to do with a Postal Worker.
Horse racing was very popular in the 18th C, & I believe they are carrying a riding crop (whip) & wearing an 18th C Jockey hat.
Whether it's a hunting image could be debated as well, either way it's a great find.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool button. Looks like a sword and scabbard to me, a popular motif for cavalry units during the Revolution.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a cool button. Looks like a sword and scabbard to me, a popular motif for cavalry units during the Revolution.

Agree on this one as well.
The sword to mouth item is ?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 4F269691-B91F-4C35-8163-873FBEE012A8_1_201_a.jpeg
    4F269691-B91F-4C35-8163-873FBEE012A8_1_201_a.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 141

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree on this one as well.
The sword to mouth item is ?
attachment.php
Blown up, it does look more sword like, & like you say some kind of whistle? Small horn? Which fits the hunting scene that I'm now leaning towards. If you look at the back of the hat, it looks like an 18th C velvet hunting cap (also used by some jockey's):

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread