Best beach detector East Coast

Captt228

Jul 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently retired haven't metal detected in 25 years. I finally got some time I Owned a Whites Coinmaster way back when and it paid for itself in days. I live now in Coney Island and South Florida by the beach. I want to get a new detector for the beach but Not underwater. There are so many detectors out there any reommendations? Does it pay to buy an expensive used one off eBay?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, NY :hello:

Get the best you can afford

Minelab Excalibur

Fisher CZ21

Minelab CTX 3030

Whites Dual Field

Tesoro Sand Shark

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all have our favorites, and Terry has mentioned in abovet post some of the very best. Do your home work on these machines and I am

sure you will come up with a great machine, which ever you think would suit your style of detecting.

Glad you are retiring and able to pursue a great hobby. Enjoy each and everyday as if it were you last.

Find the motherload !!!

HH

Dennis

Last edited:

Lats

Jan 17, 2015
Westchester, NY
Detector(s) used
White Surf Dual PI, Ace250 with Double D Coil, Stealth 720i Hybrid, Beachmaster, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Terry gave you some good choices of high end beach machines. The shark and the dual field are pulse induction machines and take a little longer to get use to - especially the dual field. Above all get yourself a good long handle scoop because all of those machines go deep.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
1. Get a waterproof machine. The salt air/sand destroy everything so waterproof is a must. Read through the forums and you will find many guys that accidentally dropped their $1000+ machine on the waters edge and ruined it because it wasnt waterproof.

2. So you have a choice of 3 machines - Fisher CZ21, Minelab Excalibur, and Minelab CTX. Each has its advantages and disadvantages so read up on all 3 of them and figure which works best for you. I own all 3 of them. They are all the top of the line.

3. Buying used is a great way to save money. I would look on these forums for someone selling something that you can trust a little more than ebay. Ebay is fine and I have sold detectors on there but be sure they say in the post that there are NO cracks in the coil, NO cracks in the wire, and maybe even they can show you a video of the machine so that you know it works! As long as thats covered buying used is a good deal. The advantage of new is that you get the warranties, which are nice to have on these expensive machines. I just sold a CZ21 that would of been perfect for you.

4. Dont get a PI like the sand shark or Whites DF. They are great machines but you will be digging everything. They do not discriminate out junky iron like the ones above and they are not deeper on the US east coast for the most part because the beaches have low mineralization. There is a time and place for PI machines and they are better as a backup for us east coasters rather than your only machine.

5. Contact the dealers and and see what kind of price/package you can get. They can usually offer a better deal than whats advertised.

6. Be prepared to spend $100+ on a solid scoop. I use a sun spot 920 stealth. They have a lifetime warranty. Dont buy a cheap one, it will just break and you will end up having to get a good one.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5. Contact the dealers and and see what kind of price/package you can get. They can usually offer a better deal than whats advertised.

Some dealers can find a used one for you. I went that route for my CZ21 and though I probably paid a little more I saved a bunch off of a new one plus have (a little bit) of security knowing that an established dealer checked it out.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the ctx if you don't want to hardcore surf hunt or scuba. It is goof for land, wet salt beaches, and some water detecting. A sovereign GT will also fit the bill for wet sand but not waterproof at all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford the CTX, I'd get that. New or used.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Terry offered a lot of good machine advice. He did miss one though that works great in salt water. The White's BHID.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't overlook the DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. Great machine IMHO. Doesn't false in salt, works great in water or beach. All electronics are in headphones, making the swinging a lot lighter. Easy to learn tone and dig. Only 3 knobs - Vol. , Disc., and Sens. Any sound that has a click to it is iron. Good targets have great repeatable sounds. Rechargeable (40 hrs per charge), so no batts needed.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't overlook the DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. Great machine IMHO. Doesn't false in salt, works great in water or beach. All electronics are in headphones, making the swinging a lot lighter. Easy to learn tone and dig. Only 3 knobs - Vol. , Disc., and Sens. Any sound that has a click to it is iron. Good targets have great repeatable sounds. Rechargeable (40 hrs per charge), so no batts needed.

Sounds like a good machine . Lots of positives!!!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Don't overlook the DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. Great machine IMHO.

This is a single frequency machine that is not optimal for salt beaches compared to multifrequency/PI machines.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about a Sovereign?

Recently retired haven't metal detected in 25 years. I finally got some time I Owned a Whites Coinmaster way back when and it paid for itself in days. I live now in Coney Island and South Florida by the beach. I want to get a new detector for the beach but Not underwater. There are so many detectors out there any reommendations? Does it pay to buy an expensive used one off eBay?

I would suggest a Sovereign GT. I hip mount and seal the control box in a clear plastic grocery store produce bag, punching a hole for the headphone cord, and wrapping a few turns of electrical tape around the cord leading to the coil.

Add black widow headphones and an Ultimate 13 coil (or a smaller coil if that is your preference), and you will be competitive on any beach in the world, and you will have fun dancing with your machine.

Happy hunting with whatever you choose!

Charles

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sov GT. Awesome beach machine!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I do not care what you get, just post your finds here!

Some of us with less access to prime hunting grounds live vicariously through others!

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick up a Minelab Sovereign (does not matter what model) with meter (would be a plus). Then swing and listen to your hearts content, or until your arm falls off. Sovs are great beach machines. They are the non-waterproof brother to the Excalibur. The older models can be found for $300 on up, depending on the deal. That and a comfy set of headphones and your off.

Oh... and get a decent beach scoop. It will save your back and lots of time.

Happy hunting... God I miss hunting the beach!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are only going to be on the sand and at the water's edge the Minelab Sovereign GT is a great detector but if you do go that route get one with a straight shaft so it's more balanced and comfortable to swing.
Best of luck out there!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick up a Minelab Sovereign (does not matter what model) with meter (would be a plus). Then swing and listen to your hearts content, or until your arm falls off. Sovs are great beach machines. They are the non-waterproof brother to the Excalibur. The older models can be found for $300 on up, depending on the deal. That and a comfy set of headphones and your off.

Oh... and get a decent beach scoop. It will save your back and lots of time.

Happy hunting... God I miss hunting the beach!
It does matter what model sovereign. Only the sovereign gt is supported by Minelab, there are still parts available for the sov elite, any sovereigns earlier are next to impossible to get parts for.....

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Please take my advice do not even think about the recommendation below of a Minelab Excalibur all the shielding fell off of my $1,300 Excalibur and the company refused to replace that and even admitted it was the wrong cable. they would replace it from the main unit to the coil and the headset for $400 Plus Minelab is in my estimation worthless and you're just wasting your money thank you. The Surf pi from whites is worth every penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread