Best choice for Alaska trip

reg11756

Feb 4, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites SURF PI; MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to the Yukon river region in June. Will hopefully be relic hunting family homestead from 1920's and 30's. May get chance to gold prospect as well. Want to buy used Whites GMT or GMZ to gold hunt. I also plan to take a V3i or VX3 which should double as gold machine with 4x6 I hope. Thot's???

Upvote 0

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you own the MXT. That would be my first choice for what you intend on and will do it all well. The GMT would help on really small gold but is not as versatile. White's GMT and MXT in Alaska

The V3i would do the job but is not my first choice - it is a bit overkill. But if you are experienced with it it will get the job done. White's v3i in Alaska

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reg11756

Feb 4, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites SURF PI; MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve, that is an awesome story and very informative. I called Whites and they pretty much told me the exact same thing about each. I just bought 3 used machines today on craigslist: 1- MXT All Pro NIB for $500; 1-MXT 3 yrs old with 950 eclipse and 4x6 shooter for $425; and 1- GMT 1.5 yrs old in pristine condition for $400. We will fly to Anchorage and drive to Fairbanks to fly in to Galena. We will take some boat excursions up and down the Yukon including to one now long gone village where my wife's grandfather built a trading post.

If You are still in Anchorage, I would love to meet you before we head in to the bush and thank you.

My wife was born in L.A. In 1956 to an Athabascan/Italian mother who placed her for adoption and returned to Alaska. We found her just 3 years ago and her father, Joseph Notti was a prospector/businessman during the early gold rush days in the late 1800's and on. Her great-grandfather was Pitka Pavlov who was well known apparently for several early exploits and gold discoveries, but as a native, he was usually cut out or not allowed to own claims so he often worked on the behalf of white bosses. Lots of cool stories are out there that I discovered during the search for her mom and you may already know some of the things and names I have mentioned. When we went to Anchorage in 2011 to meet her mom, I got to hold a 6 oz. nugget when we visited!

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moved to Reno, NV last year and now return to Alaska in the summer to prospect. I will be tent camping and prospecting around Chicken, AK in June and July. Sonde like you have a great adventure lined up and I hope you have a great time.

joseph.pitka

Jul 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your wife and I are related. I'm also a great, great grandson to Pavlov.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread