Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are two maps that you mights be interested in.

(1) USGS large wall map reproduction of 1894 map drawn by Frank Pezolt.
(2) Historical Atlas of Colorado, Thomas J. Noel et al, Univ of Oklahoma Press

The large wall map is amazing in detail and information. I cut mine into eight sections and scanned them onto a CD for easier use.

Good hunting...

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is "Historical Atlas of Colorado, Thomas J. Noel" actually useful to locate places to search? There is one review on Amazon (and only one review) which states that most of the maps are single page maps for the entire state with insufficient detail where someone could do things like locate historic features.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is "Historical Atlas of Colorado, Thomas J. Noel" actually useful to locate places to search? There is one review on Amazon (and only one review) which states that most of the maps are single page maps for the entire state with insufficient detail where someone could do things like locate historic features.

I don't know how to answer that. Every historic feature is listed and shown on a map. For example MAJOR STAGECOACH LINES, chapter 27 has the state map showing routes and stops. AGRICULTURAL GHOST TOWNS, chapter 23 is the same. A blank Colo map with only those features shown.

Cpunty evolution is another one. Showing how counties were combined, so a county in 1870 may be in another cou8nty today. Chase yout tail if you don't know that.

US EXPLORER ROUTES, Ancient Indian settlements, etc. Manufacturing, airports, mountain ranges, rivers, treasure tales, lost mines etc are all shownb on their individual pages.

What I did was reduce a current State map to the same sizes as the atlas maps. Copied that on clear sheet to overlay on the road map. If a community had a road or trail, you can find it. Here is the index page:

http://www.MyEasyPics.com/is.php?i=1019227&img=AtlasIndex.jpg

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a collection of Colorado maps too. They are in JPG format so it's easy to view them. Maybe we could set up some sort of CD swap between us. Odds are there are a lot of duplicates but there may something new. I might also be able to set up an FTP server if you guys have good internet access.

I haven't looked at my maps in a while. I chased some stage stops down only to keep finding they were on private land or other some interesting areas that were pretty hard to nail down within a few miles on a modern map. It can be a challenge. But it can also be interesting when you find a historic spot along a road you've driven for years and had no idea of some of the events that happened in the past. Naturally most of the Denver area spots have been covered by new construction.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a collection of Colorado maps too. They are in JPG format so it's easy to view them. Maybe we could set up some sort of CD swap between us. Odds are there are a lot of duplicates but there may something new. I might also be able to set up an FTP server if you guys have good internet access.

I haven't looked at my maps in a while. I chased some stage stops down only to keep finding they were on private land or other some interesting areas that were pretty hard to nail down within a few miles on a modern map. It can be a challenge. But it can also be interesting when you find a historic spot along a road you've driven for years and had no idea of some of the events that happened in the past. Naturally most of the Denver area spots have been covered by new construction.

That's a good idea. Also I have some Excel worksheets that are BIG. One has ~47,000 Colo Placenames as shown on USGS maps. In addition I have combined Lat/Long, altitude, county, etc so anyone can plug into a Google map to locate them.

The 1894 map I've scanned in twelve sections on my large format scanner. Saved them as TIFF until I modify some part or copy.
Much of my stuff is copyright protected so am unsure about how to work around that. For PTP transfer or CD's to friends I don't worry about that.

I knoe a couple guys who travel the DEnver area daily, in different routes, who keep up to date on orighinal section sidewalk repairs, teardowns, HUDs, etc and detect what they can.

Biggest problems I had were computers crashing, HD problems, and am working with four drives now. Trying to recover bits and pieces from them.The maps are OK, which is great as they are a PITA to copy. Especially from publications. Some reference books I use a lot I just sawed on my bandsaw into seperate sheets. Not my really good books.

My research starts with a location name or tale. I find what I can online and some books to get core info about it. Then I Google [actually AcmeMapper] and mark areas to search as well as GPS data. Print a 4x6 color pic of what I need. Maybe terrain or Topo are better but always an Earth view. Then we go hunting.

I take pics at the sites for future referral if we want a return trip there. Mostly how to get there and get back. Sounds easier than is. Old maps and new maps seldom agree. Names change, counties change, roads disappear, new roads appear and no visible landmarks to sort out where you are.

You can PM me if you'd like and lets chat about it? I'm in Broomfield, retired and can meet for coffe & donut if that works??
BB

Melbeta

May 10, 2010
Buffalo Bob, I am looking for the USGS reprint, of the 1894 map, that shows the towns in it, not the 1894 map that is a topo map with no town names. The copyright was expired. so the U.S. Geologic Survey scanned it in 2001, reprinted it in 2002, sold it for $12.00, and I need a copy. I can even put the individual sheets together again on one massive copy. I am pretty old, do not drive up to Denver anymore, but can work with you via email. I restore old maps and old schematics, and probably can supply you with something you are lacking in return. I would appreciate a response one way or the other way. My email is Pondco at Aol Dot Com. Inserting it in case you do not have it and someone else does have it. I used to be with the U.S. National Park Service, and possess a lot of governmental historical documents and booklets. Did some writing in the past on historical subjects. Melbeta

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread