Best detector under 550.00

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are wanting to dip your feet into something with VDI and stay under $550 then I would recommend you take a look at the Nokta Simplex $250-$300 or Minelab Vanquish series of detectors. Both have good reviews from many people on these forums.

If you have a F75 and a Makro Multi Kruzer - I'm not sure you will gain much in terms of those two machines for under $550

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
H

Hotled

May 22, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Whites MX Sport
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about used?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about used?

used and under $500 that's a whole different can of worms. If you can pickup an AT PRO for under $500 that would be a good deal or a T2 SE or Omega 8000 - They are $550 new though
I personally have never used any of these machines but I believe they all are considered very good. There are probably half a dozen other machines as well that are a little older F70/75, Racer 2, Whites XLT, & MX Sport. I still see Fisher 1266x, CZ3D, and Nautilus machine in the $500 dollar range and there efficient but very old dinosaur machines that still sell.

I guess it depends on what you want, but I think there is a big divide at least in terms of price between what you get with the Vanquish and Simplex and the Deus/Equinox series when purchasing new.

Too many choices..lol

OP
OP
H

Hotled

May 22, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Whites MX Sport
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way I would buy a at pro. Maybe a used ETrac who knows lol

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still have the detectors shown in your signature? Either way, if you are looking for something new, you couldn't get more detector for your budget, than a Simplex+ WHP... wireless headphones that have no audio lag; fully submersible to ten feet; hand-grip vibrate, coil illumination flashlight; 16 hour rechargeable battery, 5 pre-configured quick-select modes that are user modifiable; a true all metal mode (threshold tone), pin pointer, automatic and manually adjustable ground balance (so it works on a wet salt beach), and so much more. All that, for $350~. Nothing comes close.

FenderBass

Greenie
Mar 9, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish540, Tesoro Vaquero, BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the exact same boat! I have a couple detectors, started on a Bounty Hunter, my good unit is a Tesoro Vaquero which has been fun. Several gold rings, necklaces, etc over the years. My detecting time competes with Fishing, Guitar gigs, Golf, Fitness, and has fallen to last place the last 8 years or so. I am thinking about new unit to spark my interest. a lof of new technology has come about since I last purchased a detector. I have been trolling here and researching the web for months, and I will share with you what my plan is.
First i don't want a new unit for just the sake of a new unit. I want a new experience, so I listed shortcomings that bother me most. First, I would like saltwater beach performance as I take an annual trip to Fla or Alabama. Secondly I have always wanted to water detect in fresh water of Michigan. Not just knee deep, but where adults actually swim. A VDI to help ID'ing will be fun again. I felt like about $500 was a about my limit as well.
My plan is this: The MInelab Vanquish 540 is reported to handle saltwater well, has good programming and target ID, good depth, and is simple to use. It has VDI properties similiar to the Nox series. With some many other interests I don't want all the micro settings and adjustments. I like turning on and going for the most part. The 340 and 440 of this series can save you some money and still give the saltwater performance too. I feel the 540 has enough added features where its reaches mid-level performance. I am used to that with the Tesoro, it really was a killer and deep--Despite that I still want to step into the 21st century.
The Vanquish is not water proof. Thats OK because I have a plan for that too. I know there are some machines at this level that are waterproof. Thats arguable as plenty of people have leaks with that. Sounds like many people do. I have decided to try the Nokta Pulsedive. It may not be for everyone, this is for snorkel detecting. Thats the kind of detecting I want to do. Its a pinpointer/diving detector. This thing looks like a sand shovel in your hand. Beachgoers would not even know you are detecting so you could do it right during the day. (sorry I think walking around detecting a beach midday is on the Tacky side) Ive done the wading detecting, i dont care for that much, and its common to see other dectectorist wading so that spot gets checked a lot. I want to get a tad deeper water. I enjoy snorkeling as well. I can get both these units and stay under $550. Hoping to pick up the Vanquish in 3 weeks, when I travel to Grand Rapids to get my 2nd Pfizer dose!

Tough choice, the Nokta Simplex has a lot of fans and a great price, and is water proof. But I'm going minelab this time.

FenderBass

Greenie
Mar 9, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The series' coils and shaft are waterproof up to the control box. The control box comes with a nice rain cover at least.

Yes thats true the coil is waterproof. I don't know if Ive ever seen a detector that wasn't coil submersible (from the 2000's forward). Any coil gets soaked in the morning dew or wet grass.
There are quite a few good machines under $500 these days with very advanced features, we are fortunate to have so many choices.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Fenderbass: I would rather walk around midday with a water proof detector than a grown man who’s carrying what you say looks like a toy sand shovel around,..that would look more tacky to me. You’re going to get tired of holding your breathe to retrieve targets with a hand held detector if you’re going deeper than you can breathe to detect the bottom. Plus it’s very small limiting your coverage and detecting depth is very shallow. It’s a pin pointer, I would get discouraged quickly. Being underneath the water you’re also more unaware of the ground you’ve gone over and loose track of covered area. If you’re worried about looking tacky on the beach then stick with golfing. You can get a Nokta Simplex for under $400 fully water proof, this would be more ideal than snorkelling with a tiny hand held coil and It has a-lot better reviews as far as leakage compared to the Equinox. Don’t forget the danger involved when diving down to retrieve targets and holding your breathe continuously.

Last edited:

FenderBass

Greenie
Mar 9, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fenderbass: I would rather walk around midday with a water proof detector than a grown man who’s carrying what you say looks like a toy sand shovel around,..that would look more tacky to me. You’re going to get tired of holding your breathe to retrieve targets with a hand held detector if you’re going deeper than you can breathe to detect the bottom. Plus it’s very small limiting your coverage and detecting depth is very shallow. It’s a pin pointer, I would get discouraged quickly. Being underneath the water you’re also more unaware of the ground you’ve gone over and loose track of covered area. If you’re worried about looking tacky on the beach then stick with golfing. You can get a Nokta Simplex for under $400 fully water proof, this would be more ideal than snorkelling with a tiny hand held coil and It has a-lot better reviews as far as leakage compared to the Equinox. Don’t forget the danger involved when diving down to retrieve targets and holding your breathe continuously.

Those are some good thoughts IrishGold, I hear ya. But I did say it's not for everyone. I am a pretty seasoned snorkeler. I have some of the concerns you mention. Small coil being one. I have also waved around a full sized detector right up to the control box deep into the water, its extremely fatiguing. and then you gotta go down and get the stuff. The pulseDive is just basicly waving your arm. either type if you go deep enough its holding your breath. Thing is if I donle like it, its still a good waterproof pinointer (has two different ends) so I'm not out hardly anything for trying something and looking for spots know one has gotten to yet. The simplex I do think is probably the best other option i agree. As for Tacky, ya I'm not going to hunt midday on a beach or in water with people everywhere, thats me. At the ocean people are more spread out thats OK, but inland beaches, even in the great lakes they are not that big. Am I going to swim in the middle of the day? yes. I dont like people knowing im detecting. all's it ever does is raise eyebrows. This way, hey Im just out there swimming around! And I'm not good enough at golf to give up everything else :laughing7:
I dont want to derail the OP's thread - I still think Vanquish and Simplex are two great options in his price range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread