Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So after 5 years I’m shopping for a new shovel.
Would love to hear other opinions/suggestions.
Been using the Lesche 38” D handle for 5 years.
It’s a beast of a shovel, but I’m wanting something with a wider blade.
This shovel is very strong, I love how thick it is where the shaft meets the blade.
What I don’t like is that the blade is only 5” wide. I have to stab the ground 5 or 6 times to make a plug.
Would love to know what you guys use?
Would love to hear about another well built shovel on the market with a wider blade.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry cannot help... I am and always will be a scoop guy.

The size you seek is folding military shovel size ... which when i need to use a small shovel ...which is next to never... but when i do... i use one.

Perhaps you can modify / get one welded with desired length etc.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after 5 years I’m shopping for a new shovel.
Would love to hear other opinions/suggestions.
Been using the Lesche 38” D handle for 5 years.
It’s a beast of a shovel, but I’m wanting something with a wider blade.
This shovel is very strong, I love how thick it is where the shaft meets the blade.
What I don’t like is that the blade is only 5” wide. I have to stab the ground 5 or 6 times to make a plug.
Would love to know what you guys use?
Would love to hear about another well built shovel on the market with a wider blade.
Visit any of the supporting vendors on here and peruse their offerings.It,s a highly personal choice. I never use any thing but the Lesche type hand digger or similar.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Type shovels into the search box and a bunch of articles come up about shovels.May be just what you,re looking for until somebody comes along here.:icon_thumleft:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 1942 Ames entrenching tool , back in the day there weren't many choices and everyone in my area used them. I'm so used to this shovel nothing else feels right. I fold it over into a pick and chop away , all my digging is in the woods so no pretty plugs needed , just fill the hole ,tamp and kick leaves. the Ames is 80 years old a bit worn but still does the job.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 1942 Ames entrenching tool , back in the day there weren't many choices and everyone in my area used them. I'm so used to this shovel nothing else feels right. I fold it over into a pick and chop away , all my digging is in the woods so no pretty plugs needed , just fill the hole ,tamp and kick leaves. the Ames is 80 years old a bit worn but still does the job.
This is what i am referring to above... been using one for eons... have several actually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread