Best Find in 2012 (My Best Ever)- Massachusetts-1652-Silver Oak Tree 3 Pence NOE 24

nhzwickey

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2013
New England-New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Here are a couple of pictures of my recent 2012 find , awesome for me, in New Hampshire. It is a Massachusetts Silver Oak Tree 3 Pence NOE 24. I'm very new to Metal Detecting so this is a great, very humbling find, for me.

3 Pence NOE24 picture one.jpg 3 Pence NOE24 picture Two.jpg

Sydney P Noe, is the "Noe" I reference in NOE-24. He was the Numismatologist that studied these types of coins and wrote about them: "Sydney P. Noe was born on April 4, 1885 in Woodbridge, New Jersey. He graduated from Rutgers University, where he received his master's degree, in 1913. Two years later, in 1915, he joined the ANS as Librarian, where he reorganized the library's collection and created its photofile. Noe remained librarian until 1938, when he succeeded Howland Wood as Curator. Noe also served as Secretary for the ANS from 1917 until 1947, when he was named Chief Curator — the first person to hold that position. Upon his retirement in 1953, Noe was named Chief Curator Emeritus. " From the American Numismatic Society-ANS

American Numismatic Society | Archives / Noebio

American Numismatic Society | Archives / Publication History

This is some information on his publications of the Various Tree Coinages of Massachusetts:

Noe, Sydney P. 1943: The New England and willow tree coinages of Massachusetts. Numismatic Notes and Monographs, no. 102. New York: American Numismatic Society.
Noe, Sydney P. 1947: The oak tree coinages of Massachusetts. Numismatic Notes and Monographs, no. 110. New York: American Numismatic Society.
Noe, Sydney Philip. 1952: The pine tree coinage of Massachusetts. Numismatic Notes and Monographs, no. 125. New York: American Numismatic Society

I live in the NH seacost area. All of NH is rich with early American History. Some areas more than others, I guess. I really wasn't expecting to find something like this in the area I was detecting. It was found in an open field heavily wooded around. Most likely farmed for several centuries. I wasn't expecting a find like this. It is a tremendous find for me. Unexpected, dreamed of and now holding on to! I still have to pinch myself-it's so amazing. This kind of find never, well I can't say never anymore! This kind of find can happen to anyone. I'll always be prepared for the best now on. It's great to be able to share some of what I've found. But, working full time leaves me little time for detecting and posting, but I will as often as I can. There maybe some time in between posts. Thanks for your interest and encouragement!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find of a lifetime!