Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Metal pan vs. oak tree...
DSC00405.JPG

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a White's branded pan in the plum color. I really like it for cleaning up. The contrast between the gold and that color really pops for my eyes. I'm color blind but i can really see the difference there. For the field work, I really don't think you can beat a super sluice pan as far as moving material without a sluice. That thing is a beast.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the ones that fold in half cuz you can carry twice as many and they are much more tactical. They also dont make my tender muscles tired and you can limp wrist it.
Watch out for small gusts of wind that might blow them away but they decompose in a month or so anyway. No worries!

Pocketman

Jan 19, 2020
Carson City, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the steel pans. When I first started panning, the was all there was. I've tried the plastic pans with the riffles. They're good and do the job well. But you can't bang 'em against a rock like I did to scare away a bear, yards away, that was coming down the hill to drink from the creek right where I was panning, whether I liked it or not! I had a 357 mag, but I didn't want to use it. I'm glad the pan did the trick!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always figured if 6 shots of .357 Mag wont do it I am probably up sh^t creek...

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always liked this pan.... great for production.... It could be a little bit more ridged but it works great.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won this.
The new and improved 14" Garrett Acentric Gold Pan expands the pan's floor size by 33%
It maintains the long panning surface and optimum angles that are necessary for effective gold panning
It allows for gold to be driven down more efficiently to the large floor space
The volume allows for more material to be processed per pan
It features renowned riffles for successfully trapping gold.

My Favorite is the 15" Garret super sluice... This pan does not seem that much better... is it me?

super sluice new.jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always liked this pan.... great for production.... It could be a little bit more ridged but it works great.

Is that pan mainly for super fine gold? Would it work for fast production like my 15" super sluice?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that pan mainly for super fine gold? Would it work for fast production like my 15" super sluice?
It's a great production pan.... Not so great for cleanup. But thats why I have smaller cleanup pans..... Right tool for the right job.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great production pan.... Not so great for cleanup. But thats why I have smaller cleanup pans..... Right tool for the right job.

I've always wanted the Easy pan but no longer use a pan much (detect now) but it would have cost me $33 to get one shipped from Carolina so I passed. I still love my Super Sluice and will always keep it around....

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I am looking to try my hand at gold panning this year and I’m wondering what your opinions are on pans. Any brand or particular type of pan that works best?

Garrett 14" gravity trap pan. :icon_thumleft:
In my opinion, best all around pan you can get, bar none.
If I could only have one pan, that would be it.

The drop bottom makes the really fine gold just that much easier to capture securely, especially when using the smooth side to eliminate excess black sand.

While learning an amazing new tecnique for dry panning I found that after trying out that same tecnique wet (keep adding water from a bottle as you go) it could greatly increase a beginners speed and confidence getting down to the gold. It's like learning to pan with training wheels..........
Starts about 8:45 into the video using a Garrett super sluice pan and 5 gal bucket, will also work with the Garrett 14" gravity trap pan :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My internet is so friggin' slow lately that I pass on video's but just looking at the pan above....notice how scuffed up it is. Well thats the trick to any pan. A nice new shiny pan is worthless no matter who makes it. Two ways to get your pan up to it's potential.....use it for years and years or sandpaper and spit. If it shows the very least bit of water beading up then it needs a work over. Let the dog play with it, bury it, eat kibble out of it and then loan it to the neighbors dog to do likewise. I'd rather use a hubcap off a '65 volkswagon than a brand new shiny pan.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Proline....black or green.

Agreed! As my eyes have aged I’ve switched from the green to the black.

Avoid the similar looking Estwng pan. It’s made of a more brittle plastic, and so, is prone to cracking.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My 17" proline pro pan folds up like a taco full of dirt not super impressed with it, its a bummer I like big pans. Got a 17" black keene pan that looks like a china pan but is made by keene, haven't tried running it yet.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
My 17" proline pro pan folds up like a taco full of dirt not super impressed with it, its a bummer I like big pans. Got a 17" black keene pan that looks like a china pan but is made by keene, haven't tried running it yet.

Best large traditional style plastic gold pan is the Super Sluice by Garrett...tough and rigid...have several and not broken one yet.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jason (pocketman)
Stop by if your down here dinner invite.

Herb...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread