best location of check valve hole

Rick-SAR

May 26, 2011
Did some measuring on my puffer. As it turn out there was a 30% drop in air speed from motor end to hinge end. I changed location of the flapper hold and direction of maximum opening. I.e., flapper open toward to motor end and then the hinged end. Question where do most of you locate the check valve and what direction does the opening point to (motor end hinge end.)

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
mine is closer to the motor and so is the hinge,i think the more travel helps.i adjust the air flow by doubling the cloth on any riffle that i think is moving more air than the others,
good luck brad

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a puffer I like to locate the flapper open end away from the hinge so you get maximum opening when the bellows drops down.
Also I like to locate the hole farthest from the hinge for the same reason. You get more air into the box for a stronger puff the longer the flap stays open on the downward stroke. Plus you are not sucking as much dust through the cloth into the lower chamber during the downward stroke while the flap is open.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread