Best Navy Button 1812ish (most guilt) + silver Half Dollar Live Video too boot.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out by myself, seems everyone else was busy. Too bad.
A site I got 14 buttons on a previous hunt before was freshly plowed. Within ten minutes I get a button, knew there was something on it, turns out to be my best Navy button ever. It is a looker IMO.
Ten-fifteen minutes or so later I get a solid 94 signal on my Omega, thinking pop can, but turn on the camera anyway? and pull a half dollar (1902-1910) OK, I had thought with the age of the average find on this site that the coin was going to be better (older) but that's still cool. I got both the coin finds on live dig video. Video is short too at 2 and a half minutes. Stopped to watch some model airplanes on the way home. Great day.

Good Luck Out There.

EDIT, Video added. (warning, small amount of bad language, sorry, but a tad excited)

Forgot to mention the copper is a GEO III., and only about the 3rd coin from the site.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Upvote 15

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my two, and I didn't realize until right now they are different... both front and back. Which is interesting because odds greatly put them from being off the same coat. In 15 years these are the only two I've found, and they were just a chip shot apart in fields that were side by side. I dug the gilt one over 10 years ago, and then the patriot and I each found one back in 2010. hmmm... think I might have to hit that field again.... if there's 2, there's likely a 3rd. :)

Attachments

• butt1.jpg
    butt1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 95
  • butt2.jpg
    butt2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 113

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the patriot's button. It seems to match my green one, so maybe mine were off different coats. Pretty crazy though how the only two I've ever found ended up being so close. One field had a great site, the other field very little... really just the buttons is all we got. I guess I'll have to go back and investigate that spot a little more.

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 92

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting debate.

When I first saw it, I thought 1790s.

Not sure this indicates anything but the Commanders button with the same shaped oval design & the rope around the anchor dates to 1795-1812.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting debate.

When I first saw it, I thought 1790s.

Not sure this indicates anything but the Commanders button with the same shaped oval design & the rope around the anchor dates to 1795-1812.

I think the type above is the earliest issued of the oval ones. Not really related, but makes me think of a really nice, very large one (29mm) I dug a decade ago. Sure don't see too many of those.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the type above is the earliest issued of the oval ones. Not really related, but makes me think of a really nice, very large one (29mm) I dug a decade ago. Sure don't see too many of those.
I checked all my Navy buttons, & this one is missing!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked all my Navy buttons, & this one is missing!

I wouldn't consider them a rare button, but at the same time not too many seem to be dug, so that doesn't surprise me too much. There's so many that are still on my want list... Purser, couple Surgeon types, Flag officer, and then the big one, an Admiral. I have not found very many of these late 1700s/1812 issued ones, so unsure if I will ever cross some of the other ones off my list.

Would make for a good theme thread on the best finds forum.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems I am no longer getting notification of replies ?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick I'm so happy to see you go out and have a great hunt. That button is gorgeous man. Hope you dig lots of holes this summer buddy

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still not getting notifications ?
I'd best do a back up. The other day mouse slow, keyboard slow, wouldn't shut down.

Thanks Abe, Romeo do hope to dig a few holes this year, spring season slipping away fast.

Yeah IP get out to that field, the one with few targets you didn't stay at long, may have a plate to match. Now that would be something.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed out on that site...

It's a long story. We hunted way back in 2002, than a little problem, then we regained permission like 6 or 7 years ago.... did a hunt, and then maybe 4 years ago stopped in when the Patriot was here. it's been hit fairly well, but is a decent size area with lots of iron. Great potential as an RP came out, the only Rev War French I know of being found here (74th and was nice) ... the gilt Navy I posted in this thread, and in the field next to it, the two green Navy I posted. I'm anxious to give the other field another walk because it didn't seem like there was much there, but with two of those Navy being dug back to back it definitely deserves more time. Now that i think of the date, it's over 5 years since we hunted it so there no doubt will be some targets, as long as it's not planted. It's that kind of site that just screams old at you.... the black glass and clay pipe stem... ash and bones in the soil... anxious to swing there again the more I think about it. It's off limits in the Fall so this is the only chance... and the place hasn't even crossed my mind in a few years. I have another field my gut is telling me to go back to.... found a few old things but very little. I just have a feeling I need to walk around more.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I missed this one Rick. Killer finds your button is similar to the one I found a few years ago but the lines on mine are horizontal rather then in a starburst pattern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread