bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've always been too self-conscious about detecting in parks and such.

I frankly don't even know the "rules" regarding the practice. It would be a good way to get more experience with the machines, and I suspect there's more gold in a park than anywhere I've been in desert washes (though some folks do OK in them because of their experience and research, and knowing what conditions usually result in rewards.

I've been watching a LOT of YouTubes of guys finding gold around the state, and while no one is getting rich (that they reveal), they do seem to be consistent in finding small gold.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I frankly don't even know the "rules" regarding the practice. It would be a good way to get more experience with the machines, and I suspect there's more gold in a park than anywhere I've been in desert washes (though some folks do OK in them because of their experience and research, and knowing what conditions usually result in rewards.

I've been watching a LOT of YouTubes of guys finding gold around the state, and while no one is getting rich (that they reveal), they do seem to be consistent in finding small gold.
I detect parks when I can't get out to the mountains for gold nuggets and the main thing I want from parks is jewelry. All my parks have fill dirt so I don't find many old coins. As long as there's no city ordinance against metal detecting, you don't dig on private property without permission, and you fulfill any permitting process you're in the right. Just act like your supposed to be there. There are things I don't do, like make eye contact because I hate getting into a long conversation with people for half an hour when I could be detecting. I also don't show anything of value that I find to anyone, except I will keep a handful of pull-tabs, bottle caps, and can-slaw for show-and-tell in an outer pocket of my finds bag in case somebody gets too nosey.

OP
OP
B

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I detect parks when I can't get out to the mountains for gold nuggets and the main thing I want from parks is jewelry. All my parks have fill dirt so I don't find many old coins. As long as there's no city ordinance against metal detecting, you don't dig on private property without permission, and you fulfill any permitting process you're in the right. Just act like your supposed to be there. There are things I don't do, like make eye contact because I hate getting into a long conversation with people for half an hour when I could be detecting. I also don't show anything of value that I find to anyone, except I will keep a handful of pull-tabs, bottle caps, and can-slaw for show-and-tell in an outer pocket of my finds bag in case somebody gets too nosey.
All excellent points.

Being the kind of person who has always been self conscious on a dance floor, it plagues me to stand out and have people stare what the heck I am doing.

I've thought of just telling people my wife lost an earring or some-such such, but I do not lie at all well. The pull-tabs should kill any unwarranted curiosity and attention. I guess I could always tell people I am doing community service for a traffic infraction by removing used needles and sharp metal objects so kids wouldn't be injured. :)
(Sadly we recently moved from beautiful Washington State where there are so many homeless drug users that public parks and unfenced school playgrounds have to be swept with metal detectors before weekends and school days lest kids stab/cut their feet with them.)

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All excellent points.

Being the kind of person who has always been self conscious on a dance floor, it plagues me to stand out and have people stare what the heck I am doing.

I've thought of just telling people my wife lost an earring or some-such such, but I do not lie at all well. The pull-tabs should kill any unwarranted curiosity and attention. I guess I could always tell people I am doing community service for a traffic infraction by removing used needles and sharp metal objects so kids wouldn't be injured. :)
(Sadly we recently moved from beautiful Washington State where there are so many homeless drug users that public parks and unfenced school playgrounds have to be swept with metal detectors before weekends and school days lest kids stab/cut their feet with them.)

well you would not be lieing about the Needles, just do like I do tell the ones starring to take a photograph, if they get to nosy I tell them to just leave me alone,that I am searching for a bomb for the PD, LOL they usually leave pretty quickly

Spill

Oct 15, 2022

I feel self conscious in parks too but I have found that if I put on headphones it's really not so bad. If you can get someone to go with you it's even better

OP
OP
B

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I feel self conscious in parks too but I have found that if I put on headphones it's really not so bad. If you can get someone to go with you it's even better
Yes, I agree on the "pairs" approach (psychological "strength in numbers"), but I only recently moved here and other than a couple of friends 1+ hours away, I don't know any other detectorists locally.

Maybe if I did it alone, others (who share the hobby) will approach and strike up a relationship.

There must be "Meet Up" groups for people like us. I need to check on that.

I don't know it you ever watched the British TV program called (Link) "The Detectorists," (Watchable on Amazon Prime, BBC-TV or BritBox) but it's a charming show about metal detectorists (they are an eccentric lot, but maybe we are) and illustrates your point well.

Spill

Oct 15, 2022
Yes, I agree on the "pairs" approach (psychological "strength in numbers"), but I only recently moved here and other than a couple of friends 1+ hours away, I don't know any other detectorists locally.

Maybe if I did it alone, others (who share the hobby) will approach and strike up a relationship.

There must be "Meet Up" groups for people like us. I need to check on that.

I don't know it you ever watched the British TV program called (Link) "The Detectorists," (Watchable on Amazon Prime, BBC-TV or BritBox) but it's a charming show about metal detectorists (they are an eccentric lot, but maybe we are) and illustrates your point well.

Loved it. That show is a real gem

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions