bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am used to simpler to setup machines (Whites MXT and a TDI) and with all the menus and sub-menus I KNOW there must be really superior settings for my purpose, so am interested in what others have found.

I bought mine 95% for use in the Arizona desert for the typical small-gold found in desert dry washes . My Whites MXT was finding metal staples and tiny shards of ricochet bullets down to about 0.8gr, where a friend's Gold Bug 2 could find pieces HALF that size. I don't expect the Legend to better the GB 2, but BETTER than default settings on the Legend would doubtless be better.

No real trash here to contend with except those staples and an occasional 1/4" length of #20 steel wire (How the heck to those get so remote?) , and some bird shot (and one 1/4-20 nut that must have dropped from outer space seeing how remote we were) not typical trash like city MDing has to contend with.

I am running software 1.09 and the 6" round coil.

Any suggestions welcome!

Bob

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am used to simpler to setup machines (Whites MXT and a TDI) and with all the menus and sub-menus I KNOW there must be really superior settings for my purpose, so am interested in what others have found.

I bought mine 95% for use in the Arizona desert for the typical small-gold found in desert dry washes . My Whites MXT was finding metal staples and tiny shards of ricochet bullets down to about 0.8gr, where a friend's Gold Bug 2 could find pieces HALF that size. I don't expect the Legend to better the GB 2, but BETTER than default settings on the Legend would doubtless be better.

No real trash here to contend with except those staples and an occasional 1/4" length of #20 steel wire (How the heck to those get so remote?) , and some bird shot (and one 1/4-20 nut that must have dropped from outer space seeing how remote we were) not typical trash like city MDing has to contend with.

I am running software 1.09 and the 6" round coil.

Any suggestions welcome!

Bob
first off what version firmware are you running on your Legend, I am also in AZ

if you are in an earlier version firmware 1.04,1.05, or 1.07 then about the only adjustments you can make is the threshold and you can also run multi in the gold mode which runs 20 and 40 KHz only, or you can run SF 20 KHz or 40 KHz

if you are running 1.09 firmware Nokta has added a few more features, but gold mode remains the same, except they have added IF (Iron Filter)and ST (Stability) settings the IF and the ST work in conjunction with each other and they also added a AG (Audio Gain) only the IF and ST settings work in Gold Mode

Nokta is getting ready to release a new update 1.11, that there will be a new AG (Audio Gain) setting for gold mode and also some other features like BC (Bottle Cap Rejection), GS (Ground Suppression), ST (Stability )settings, the ST is a finer adjustment to the IF(Iron Filter)
the 1.11 is currently 1.10 Beta test version, if you have not already updated to 1.10 which I do not know if you can because the testing is over for it, Nokta is currently in the process of finalizing the 1.10 which will then come out as 1.11

as I stated earlier there is not much to adjusting the Gold Mode I usually run in A (all Metal) or G (Ground OFF) I also run in two tones or pitch tones when detecting for nuggets and adjust the threshold to my Liking

if you detect parks there is a good coin program that Mental Meta detecting put up that works pretty good, but just be aware the way he set his coin program up it will cost you gold jewelry unless you tweek it to your liking

here is his video

OP
OP
B

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I mentioned at the bottom of my post I was using V1.09 w/ the 6" coil but I should have put it at the beginning of my post.

I see V1.10 is out as a "beta", and 1.11 to follow (I didn't realize 1.10 will not be a finished release, but will come out as 1.11, thanks). I will skip 1.10 even if it's available I guess and go to 1.11 I guess unless there is real utility to 1.10 for prospecting mode.

Saw that "best settings for coins" and was hoping there were tweeks for prospecting for gold, but I guess not.

I have no plans to use the Legend for coins, though it would be fun to find relics from old settlements, though some govt agencies prohibit anything older than 50 years old, apparently preventing keeping pre-1964 coins which were 90% silver?

I am confused about IF since NO iron filtering is "8" with lower settings MORE iron filtering. Considering some gold shows as iron numbers-wise (but not on the Ferro/Non-Ferro scales I imagine) not sure what the gain would be. Not saying it's not GOOD to use IF, just that I would benefit from an explanation of why.

Bob

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I mentioned at the bottom of my post I was using V1.09 w/ the 6" coil but I should have put it at the beginning of my post.

I see V1.10 is out as a "beta", and 1.11 to follow (I didn't realize 1.10 will not be a finished release, but will come out as 1.11, thanks). I will skip 1.10 even if it's available I guess and go to 1.11 I guess unless there is real utility to 1.10 for prospecting mode.

Saw that "best settings for coins" and was hoping there were tweeks for prospecting for gold, but I guess not.

I have no plans to use the Legend for coins, though it would be fun to find relics from old settlements, though some govt agencies prohibit anything older than 50 years old, apparently preventing keeping pre-1964 coins which were 90% silver?

I am confused about IF since NO iron filtering is "8" with lower settings MORE iron filtering. Considering some gold shows as iron numbers-wise (but not on the Ferro/Non-Ferro scales I imagine) not sure what the gain would be. Not saying it's not GOOD to use IF, just that I would benefit from an explanation of why.

Bob
Without any adjusting, the stock IF is on full blast at "8". The IF adjustment allows you to lower it incrementally until it's effectively off. The v1.10 beta 2 gives you an IF up to "9" to possibly help with nuisance trash targets like shotgun headstamps. I usually use my Deus, GMT, or Gold Kruzer when I hunt for gold, but I tried the Legend on commercial dredge tailings last year and was not impressed, It wasn't very stable with the v1.09 at all. But I've noticed the v1.10 update seems to have a much more stable VDI, and the EMI and ground noise is noticeably lessened. With the extra level of Iron Filter, improved threshold, and Ground Suppressor, I think that the Legend is going to do better in gold country. It's well worth updating to v1.10 as soon as possible.

OP
OP
B

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Without any adjusting, the stock IF is on full blast at "8".-----
I tried the Legend on commercial dredge tailings last year and was not impressed, It wasn't very stable with the v1.09 at all. But I've noticed the v1.10 update seems to have a much more stable VDI, and the EMI and ground noise is noticeably lessened. With the extra level of Iron Filter, improved threshold, and Ground Suppressor, I think that the Legend is going to do better in gold country. It's well worth updating to v1.10 as soon as possible.
Thanks. I didn't realize that the stock program on mine (V1.05) when it arrived had the MAX Iron Filtering as default, but rather the opposite, and that V1.09 and beyond allow the user to reduce that filtering (I had it bass ackward in my mind). You say you can now exceed/increase the old default with a "9" now even.

Someone else recommended using an IF of just 1 for gold prospecting. I'm curious if in non-trashy areas if the machine should do better for small gold with MORE or LESS iron filtering?

I have VERY little experience here in AZ (only been out a few times pending better livery for desert use), and thought I was upgrading from my MXT with a Legend (I bought into the hype and initial raves), but with a 4"X6" DD the MXT doesn't do that badly (Maybe V1.11 will reverse that appraisal of the Legend vs. MXT). Since I don't do coil/jewelry perhaps I should have listened to my friends and bought a GB 2 for small gold like they use.

You mentioned "Ground Suppressor", a term w/ which I am not familiar. Is that an improved ground tracking profile? I looked ever so briefly at the new stuff for v1.10 Beta but missed that.

I don't know when v1.11 will be out, but obviously you think if v1.10 B s still available, it's worthwhile so I will try it. Hopefully it will go smoother than installing v1.09 which consumed a whole evening.

Thanks,
Bob

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks. I didn't realize that the stock program on mine (V1.05) when it arrived had the MAX Iron Filtering as default, but rather the opposite, and that V1.09 and beyond allow the user to reduce that filtering (I had it bass ackward in my mind). You say you can now exceed/increase the old default with a "9" now even.

Someone else recommended using an IF of just 1 for gold prospecting. I'm curious if in non-trashy areas if the machine should do better for small gold with MORE or LESS iron filtering?

I have VERY little experience here in AZ (only been out a few times pending better livery for desert use), and thought I was upgrading from my MXT with a Legend (I bought into the hype and initial raves), but with a 4"X6" DD the MXT doesn't do that badly (Maybe V1.11 will reverse that appraisal of the Legend vs. MXT). Since I don't do coil/jewelry perhaps I should have listened to my friends and bought a GB 2 for small gold like they use.

You mentioned "Ground Suppressor", a term w/ which I am not familiar. Is that an improved ground tracking profile? I looked ever so briefly at the new stuff for v1.10 Beta but missed that.

I don't know when v1.11 will be out, but obviously you think if v1.10 B s still available, it's worthwhile so I will try it. Hopefully it will go smoother than installing v1.09 which consumed a whole evening.

Thanks,
Bob
On V1.10 Beta 1, we got Bottle Cap Rejection and Ground suppressor. Ground suppressor is supposed to reduce false signals in mineralized ground. This feature could help in nugget hunting.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh hell, I'm still on v1.07. now a 1.11? I thinking I should begin to wrap it up, these are getting WAY over my head anymore, being some peoples "Tech. Challenged" friend. Hmmm... well, I did find my first and only half dime last week. Look at me go!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh hell, I'm still on v1.07. now a 1.11? I thinking I should begin to wrap it up, these are getting WAY over my head anymore, being some peoples "Tech. Challenged" friend. Hmmm... well, I did find my first and only half dime last week. Look at me go!
There is Not a 1.11 just yet, there is a Beta test version 1.10, which will be changed to 1.11 once Nokta software engineers finish making any adjustments to the 1.10 based on feedback that those of us provided information on to a provided email address for the 1.10, I also feel after Nokta has finished the adjustments based on feedback and finalizes 1.10 it will then come out to us Legend users as 1.11, and it will most likely be the final update for the Legend for a while, unless there are some major hiccup's, this is just my opinion though, I just hope Nokta does not dumb the Legend down, because I am finding the 1.10 soon to be 1.11 a vary good version.

OP
OP
B

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This weekend for sure (I'm not a football fan so I may have he day alone) I will load v1.10 beta if still available. I saw it on the Nokta site earlier in the week.

Hopefully in a week I'll get out at least once to try the new version.

Thanks

OP
OP
B

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just loaded v1.10 beta 2

Ground Suppression

I plan to use my Legend in mineralized Arizona desert soils for small gold (to call them "nuggets" would be hyperbole, they're more like flakes or slivers).

The addendum to the manual says "DON'T use Ground Suppression unless needed."

Does GS make the detector LESS sensitive overall? As to "unless needed," do they mean if you can ground balance the unit, do NOT use GS?

On Iron Filtering

I read that LESS Iron Filtering (settings less then "8", the old default) can make ferrous metals appear as non-ferrous. My question is whether LESS IF makes the unit any more or less sensitive (to small gold)? Other than perhaps faking me out into thinking a small ferrous item is non-ferrous (like gold), is there any good reason to use more or less Iron Filtering?

Obviously I'd rather not miss a tiny nugget, and digging trash is not a problem (most targets are very close to the surface here-and inch or two in sand, or in crevices), so would a HIGHER, or LOWER IF setting be more likely to not let me miss tiny targets?

Hopefully Nokta will release a totally new Manual for the latest version (the latest manual now is for v1.09), but I'm guessing not until they finalize v1.10 Beta 2 into v1.11 they probably will not. I carry the manual with me because I forget how to get into some of the sub-menus now that new modifications are a level or two below main settings. I also carry a "Cheat Sheet" to remind me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just loaded v1.10 beta 2

Ground Suppression

I plan to use my Legend in mineralized Arizona desert soils for small gold (to call them "nuggets" would be hyperbole, they're more like flakes or slivers).

The addendum to the manual says "DON'T use Ground Suppression unless needed."

Does GS make the detector LESS sensitive overall? As to "unless needed," do they mean if you can ground balance the unit, do NOT use GS?

On Iron Filtering

I read that LESS Iron Filtering (settings less then "8", the old default) can make ferrous metals appear as non-ferrous. My question is whether LESS IF makes the unit any more or less sensitive (to small gold)? Other than perhaps faking me out into thinking a small ferrous item is non-ferrous (like gold), is there any good reason to use more or less Iron Filtering?
Obviously I'd rather not miss a tiny nugget, and digging trash is not a problem (most targets are very close to the surface here-and inch or two in sand, or in crevices), so would a HIGHER, or LOWER IF setting be more likely to not let me miss tiny targets?

Hopefully Nokta will release a totally new Manual for the latest version (the latest manual now is for v1.09), but I'm guessing not until they finalize v1.10 Beta 2 into v1.11 they probably will not. I carry the manual with me because I forget how to get into some of the sub-menus now that new modifications are a level or two below main settings. I also carry a "Cheat Sheet" to remind me.

Thanks!
I am located in AZ also and have been testing the GS on the ground I detect which is on the extreme side of mineralization my main detecting is for nuggets also.

as for your questions on the GS, I have been testing the GS out on the ground I detect, for reference purposes the Ground I detect ground balance's on my Legend any where from high 80s to high 90s usually around 96, when I activate the mineralization meter on the Legend (And yes the Legend has a mineral meter) the left side of that meter is for iron particles in the ground the right side of that same meter is for salt content in ground, so with that in mind on my ground that mineral meter on the left side is almost always pegged at 10 bars (iron Particles)I.E (magnetite in my ground) on the right side of that meter salt content runs any where from 5-7 bars usually 6 bars by those readings on that meter the ground I detect is on the extreme side of Mineralization

here is my observations when using the GS, I started out with the GS set at 2 at a setting of 2 i noticed no difference in the way my legend reacted to the ground so I started increasing the GS 1 notch at a time at a setting of 4 was where I started seeing my legend started quieting down to the point it was very quite with just a few chirps here and there, there is no doubt in my mind that had I pushed the GS to 5 it would have most likely removed all ground noise the Legend was seeing but at what cost, even at a setting of 4 I would think it would most likely cost you targets and depth so in my mind you have to be careful just how much you are willing to push the envelope so to speak, and in my mind the reason Nokta cautions using the GS setting

OP
OP
B

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what part of AZ are you in ???

Ahwatukee just east of South Mountain Foothills

Grew up in Tempe, back while in USAF at Williams AFB, and have has a 2nd place here for many years, but just moved down last summer permanently (grandkids here).

Haven't yet joined any metal detecting group here, but would like to.

Bob

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahwatukee just east of South Mountain Foothills

Grew up in Tempe, back while in USAF at Williams AFB, and have has a 2nd place here for many years, but just moved down last summer permanently (grandkids here).

Haven't yet joined any metal detecting group here, but would like to.

Bob
Vary familiar with that area, I am in the Oracle area, never detected for gold in that area but vary vary familiar with it, you can always PM me and we could get together here in Oracle

Oracle has a ton of history and there is known detectable gold in this area as well as other history

Buffalo Bill Cody had gold mines in the Oracle area

OP
OP
B

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi and thanks!

While I am in Ahwatukee, but so far have been hitting north of Phoenix and out toward Morristown and mineralization can be balanced out, but in places it can get chatty, so I will try your experiment. Usually you don't get anything for nothing, so I agree that likely the higher the GS, the lower the sensitivity, so I'll start low and work up.

I haven't used the feature allowing me to measure mineralization, but I'll put it on my list the next time I go out. I am new to nugget shooting, so much of my time each outing is learning more how my detectors act with the targets I dig up.

Thank-you for your offer. Metal Detecting is one of those activities that can be more fun with others. When I do get the chance (I have a friend up in Carefree) to do that we pack a lunch and make it a leisurely hunt. 50 years ago I used to drive to Pinal Peak sort of in your direction (pretty up there) and then down via dirt roads down to Mt Lemon and back via I-10 to Chandler where I was then living, but while I had a MD back then (a primitive Heathkit that was basically a big pinpointer) I didn't use it much, as it was OK for relics of size, it was useless for tiny gold.

I like to read about the history of where I live, I did not know that Bill Cody even made it down here, muchless owned a gold mine! I am always shocked to find how far people wandered under difficult travel conditions back then. When I was flying to the Arctic frequently, I was astonished to learn Wyatt Earp owned a bar in Nome, and lots of reasonably famous people spent time there, Kotzebue, and Point Barrow.

Bob

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi and thanks!

While I am in Ahwatukee, but so far have been hitting north of Phoenix and out toward Morristown and mineralization can be balanced out, but in places it can get chatty, so I will try your experiment. Usually you don't get anything for nothing, so I agree that likely the higher the GS, the lower the sensitivity, so I'll start low and work up.

I haven't used the feature allowing me to measure mineralization, but I'll put it on my list the next time I go out. I am new to nugget shooting, so much of my time each outing is learning more how my detectors act with the targets I dig up.

Thank-you for your offer. Metal Detecting is one of those activities that can be more fun with others. When I do get the chance (I have a friend up in Carefree) to do that we pack a lunch and make it a leisurely hunt. 50 years ago I used to drive to Pinal Peak sort of in your direction (pretty up there) and then down via dirt roads down to Mt Lemon and back via I-10 to Chandler where I was then living, but while I had a MD back then (a primitive Heathkit that was basically a big pinpointer) I didn't use it much, as it was OK for relics of size, it was useless for tiny gold.

I like to read about the history of where I live, I did not know that Bill Cody even made it down here, muchless owned a gold mine! I am always shocked to find how far people wandered under difficult travel conditions back then. When I was flying to the Arctic frequently, I was astonished to learn Wyatt Earp owned a bar in Nome, and lots of reasonably famous people spent time there, Kotzebue, and Point Barrow.

Bob
yes sir bill cody owned several mines in the Oracle area

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RE: Buffalo Bill Cody in Arizona-

Fascinating!
Oracle area has a ton of history as I stated earlier
I have read quite a few articles about the town's history Like for instance there is a park here rite across the street from the house I live in that in the 1850s or 60s was a gathering place where they held social gatherings, in 1968 they established it as a park, that park has never had a detector swung over it, which changed after my wife and I moved here LOL, I do know for a fact there has never been a detector swung over it because of how deep the targets are that i am finding, they are all shallow currently, I will be hitting this park for the next 10 years if I am still alive after 10 years LOL, the targets I am getting in that park rite now are down around 2-3 inches, but I have also dug some at 14 inches as well rite now I am just methodically clearing the shallower targets and then I will go back and start clearing the deeper targets, dug a 10K wedding band with the Legend that range up a solid 17 on the TIDs at around 2-3 inches, and that ring was not a recent drop, the number of targets we are digging and the depths we are finding them at tells me that park has never been detected with a metal detector, or if it has the person that detected it had no clue what they were doing, because any detector would have seen them LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions