Best Place for Mining in 2018!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The results are in for 2018. The best mining environment in the world is... Nevada U.S.A. :thumbsup:

Second place is Western Australia. In the top 10 are Alaska, Arizona and Utah.

The Fraser Institute does an annual survey of mining and exploration companies to find where they find it easiest to mine.

When you look at the time it takes to get mine exploration permitted it's easy to see why the some places are better than others for mining.

Fraser.png

Read the report. Maybe share your thoughts about why exploration and mining companies prefer working in North America. :hello:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zahal

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2019
Hudson River Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was watching Aussie Gold on Netflix. Permits for using metal detectors on public land, filing land use leases and claims, Lord help you if drilling and blasting is required. Plus the distances are so vast.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Notice that California is not on the list! Gee, in wonder why? hahah

That list is for commercial mining, not us little people!

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The list is all about the attractiveness of a jurisdiction to miners.

California is on the U.S. list for attractiveness - it's in next to last place in the United States just ahead of Washington State which in last place. Worldwide it's just behind Ghana, Bolivia and Turkey. California is not on the time to get permitted list because no miners even try to get permitted any more. There is nothing to base a rating on when it comes to non available mining permits.

From the report:
California is the least attractive jurisdiction in the US based on policy, but it saw its rank improve from 61st in 2017 to 49th in 2018. This year, 93 percent of respondents expressed concern over California’s environmental regulations. In addition, miners expressed greater concern since last year over security (+23 points), and decreased concern over uncertainty concerning disputed land claims (-32 points).

Where the essence of California comes to shine is in the :cross: Uncertainty Concerning the Administration, Interpretation and Enforcement of Existing Regulations :cross: Uncertainty Concerning Environmental Regulations :cross: Regulatory Duplication and Inconsistencies ratings. It's lower rated than a rathole in Ethopia - literally on the bottom of the world pile.

California's legal system is rated behind Zambia and Mexico. No miners expect to get a fair hearing in the California courts.

That is the problem California faces on all levels whether you are a big mining company, a small miner or you just want to hire some people to help you make widgets. Beautiful state with ample resources and a political climate that borders on mass theft. What's OK one day could get you locked up the next. Ask for one permit and get hung up for 20 years in silly court cases before you are spit out the back end. Miners are too smart to work there. That's why California is avoided by serious miners - large and small.

I lived in California when it was a great state. I remember waking up on my farm in the mornings to the glorious sight of the high Sierra. Sleeping on the beaches. Enjoying the beauty and live and let live culture. It's been years since you could even see the Sierra from the valley. Sleep on a beach? Live and let live? :BangHead:

Strangely enough I never thought I would have to say this but Californians need to get the pucker out of their behind before they become just another failed third world disaster. Stockton. Do I need to add more examples?

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The list is all about the attractiveness of a jurisdiction to miners.

California is on the U.S. list for attractiveness - it's in next to last place in the United States just ahead of Washington State which in last place. Worldwide it's just behind Ghana, Bolivia and Turkey. California is not on the time to get permitted list because no miners even try to get permitted any more. There is nothing to base a rating on when it comes to non available mining permits.

From the report:

Where the essence of California comes to shine is in the :cross: Uncertainty Concerning the Administration, Interpretation and Enforcement of Existing Regulations :cross: Uncertainty Concerning Environmental Regulations :cross: Regulatory Duplication and Inconsistencies ratings. It's lower rated than a rathole in Ethopia - literally on the bottom of the world pile.

California's legal system is rated behind Zambia and Mexico. No miners expect to get a fair hearing in the California courts.

That is the problem California faces on all levels whether you are a big mining company, a small miner or you just want to hire some people to help you make widgets. Beautiful state with ample resources and a political climate that borders on mass theft. What's OK one day could get you locked up the next. Ask for one permit and get hung up for 20 years in silly court cases before you are spit out the back end. Miners are too smart to work there. That's why California is avoided by serious miners - large and small.

I lived in California when it was a great state. I remember waking up on my farm in the mornings to the glorious sight of the high Sierra. Sleeping on the beaches. Enjoying the beauty and live and let live culture. It's been years since you could even see the Sierra from the valley. Sleep on a beach? Live and let live? :BangHead:

Strangely enough I never thought I would have to say this but Californians need to get the pucker out of their behind before they become just another failed third world disaster. Stockton. Do I need to add more examples?

Heavy Pans

Those of us that are willing are still very cautious about how we stand up for our selves here. As it is on the list of things you could get hassled for.

If It was an option we would move. But for now it just isn't.

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of us that are willing are still very cautious about how we stand up for our selves here. As it is on the list of things you could get hassled for.

If It was an option we would move. But for now it just isn't.

How can you even still mine in California? Highbankers and dredging aren't even legal anymore.

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was watching Aussie Gold on Netflix. Permits for using metal detectors on public land, filing land use leases and claims, Lord help you if drilling and blasting is required. Plus the distances are so vast.

At least metal detecting in Australia is actually worth it though, I love that show and still get amazed at how consistent they can find large gold nuggets. Even rich areas like Alaska don't have large nuggets like that, just smaller flakes that require lots of infrastructure and equipment.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A new study from the Sierra Club find that fish are actually pooping mercury. Mercury farts are thought to cause climate change so now they dont know what to do.. New studies may now be needed but it is guessed that fish farts alone could throw us back into the stone age within ten years if something isnt done.
Another disturbing study completed last year shows that studys can be disturbing.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you even still mine in California? Highbankers and dredging aren't even legal anymore.

There is no law that says hi banking is illegal.

There is a purposefully vague law that. Tries to convince people that any motor is illegal.

The mandates of that law have not been followed by the people it was written to give enforcement and program control to.
So......

The fact that a new bill that would clarify these things was tabled and quickly wisked away...shows the authors of 637 know all of that.

This is Ca. you can steal up to $900 dollars worth of something from someone. The Law isn't gonna put much effort into dealing with it.

Possesion of dredge equipment within 100 yards of a waterway is a $100 ticket.

If a hose sucks in the woods and no one is there to hear it :dontknow:

Priceless

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread