Sep 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many downloads available = gottem all back then = 5+ years ago.

I ended up using the defaults, and that worked for me. Feel free to download every single one you can find.

BUT, I found it best to learn what I had in those very solid and "stock" programs. The beast was better for me if I didn't go messing with it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it in a factory mode and leave it there until you understand what the detector is trying to tell you first. Read the manual. Get Andy's manual and read it (its better) a few times. Learn what the settings changes do, and how they interact with other settings. When you have a good understanding of the settings and the responses, then start trying to figure out what you need to change and how much. Just throwing someone elses settings on your detector is likely to be worse than no changes if they arent set specifically for your location and targets.

OP
OP
B

bigjerryok

Sep 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers, chaps. Ordered Andy's book.

J

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with Jason in Enid. Get to know your CTX first. I used factory settings on my CTX for many hours before developing my personal settings for the Florida environment where I was hunting.

2 points:

1) Any program published by others was most likely developed for THEIR ENVIRONMENT and may not work in yours as well as it does in theirs. Every environment has its own characteristics and you must "dial in" the settings to suit the environment you're dealing with.

2) As I offer in my signature: ~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s up to you to pick the best seat~...but only after you've become one with your detector.

Just the view from my foxhole...

iamavol

Greenie
Mar 20, 2020
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 / Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What and where is Andy’s manual? Just got my 3030 in the mail today

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Put it in a factory mode and leave it there until you understand what the detector is trying to tell you first. Read the manual. Get Andy's manual and read it (its better) a few times. Learn what the settings changes do, and how they interact with other settings. When you have a good understanding of the settings and the responses, then start trying to figure out what you need to change and how much. Just throwing someone elses settings on your detector is likely to be worse than no changes if they arent set specifically for your location and targets.
Great advice. I did the opposite on my Nox 800 after coming from the AT Pro and wasted a lot of time hunting with a badly tuned/setup Nox 800. Took a long time to get back to basics and learn some things about detectors and detecting theory. You better really know what some of those settings mean and how to set them in the field on the go.

I am buying a CTX3030 and will do what Jason said do since I know the problems of not doing so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions