Best underwater metal detectors...opinions, analysis and test results?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like the title said...it is almost 2019...almost everyone I know is using Aqua Pulse detectors for underwater work from Maine to I have about 5 of them scattered on my work table awaiting a day when my attention span is sufficient to the task of testing and reassembly. We have one Minelab Excalibur that sees little use.
Here are my questions - Please, if you can, support your opinion with some test results or direct comparisons.
What do YOU think the best underwater detector for saltwater use is?
Are there better detectors out there than the Aqua Pulse that are just, for some reason unpopular or unknown?
Is there new breakthrough technology out there that is going to make a difference or is the present equipment as sensitive as the laws of physics allow? If you look at the "detection range estimations" in 30+ year old brochures they are pretty much unchanged today.
It's chilly and windy outside here in Sebastian. If it's cold where you are, this thread can keep you from having to go out in that stuff!
What say you, amigos?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Until Tesoro went belly up, I would have said Sand Shark (good to 200'). If you can pick a couple up for $350 or less DO IT! Built like tanks with excellent sensitivity and depth in 20' + saltwater.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You prolly wouldn't read what I wrote. heh

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
WHITES SURF PI OR GARRETT. BEST Worsted ! Excalibur A $1300 MISTAKE. All the wire coating came off.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHITES SURF PI OR GARRETT. BEST Worsted ! Excalibur A $1300 MISTAKE. All the wire coating came off.
i have 2 of them and on one the coating came off the wires also I have to get a new coil for it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread